Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dragon's Ready to Fly, but MPG Issues?

Dragon's finally fixed, save the door handle (going to go get it after I finish typing). Rear pax bearing, $40, Fixed rear washer hose, $1.99, Rear taillight leak, free, Full timing belt service to fix oil leaks, $189. plus oil and antifreeze, NGK plugs, $10, PCV $8 new air filter too. All done with help of this board. I am not worthy...

Anyway, after all of this I'm still getting 23.3 MPG. TBH, I had expected better! I was getting 23.3 with a missing cam pin and plugs so gone they were at least an .085 gap! I've been checking my tires daily, since I just threw on new-to-me wheels with my 2-month-old tires. Air checks at 32.

Just passed emissions with flying colors, no codes, nada. I sure could use better mileage to Arizona, because Mom's paying for the gas as an incentive to get me down there. I'd like to save her some $$$$. I thought I'd hit 27 after all of this.

Any ideas?

Photos attached:

#1 What tailgaters will see if they get too close!:grin: Yes, I have a hotel bottle of ketchup in Dragon at all times. *burp*

#2 for Bigbusa, a shot of Dragon with the OBW wheels he wants. See the missing center caps? Yes, they exist. ;)

#3 Last, of COURSE every Dragon needs a tail... so I bought her a static strip. :lol:

Next week, fixed MPG or not, if you see Dragon fly by you somewhere southbound, wave! Thanks to all who got her in fine working order. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

(Update: door handle and lock cylinder: $10. Also snagged a keyless entry, but they were closing. Need to go back for the wiring harness and the door actuators.)

Bad discovery: now $25 more to have new lock cylinder keyed to match rest of car. If I had the key for the new tumbler I'd use it - Mom doesn't drive, just wants to get into Dragon and sit down while I'm busy at the store or a garage sale :) . I don't. Also having trouble getting the master keycode. I'm using a key made from a key made from a master, and previous owner didn't have a master or submaster to give me.

Code's not in the maintenance schedule which was in the glovebox... grr.

post-24141-136027626966_thumb.jpg

post-24141-136027626972_thumb.jpg

post-24141-136027626996_thumb.jpg

Sounds about right for city.

Colder air makes for a richer mixture.

Not quite. Cold air makes for denser air coming into the engine, so you actually get a little more omph in winter, but the winter fuel takes that away.

Cold engine makes for using more fuel.

23.3 is actually very respectable.

nipper

QUOTE=Bigbusa]Good lookin wagon! Thanks for the pic but it's too small! Can you post a bigger one of the wheels on the car?

I'll trade you my 15.2 mpg for your 23 anyday! ;)

Well, I drive 08 Impreza outback, and my driving conditions are

50 miles round trip on free way during weekdays

approx 15 miles of city drive everyday.

I started to use beads that produces negative ion and I installed like the pictures, my gas mileage was jumped to 31.2mpg/avg from 26.4mpg / avg.

it might have some effect on your car.

I'm having some trouble uploading pics, I will do so asap, but I got the beads from

http://www.toa-corp.co.jp/eg/garage/specials/autoacc.htm

QUOTE=Bigbusa]Good lookin wagon! Thanks for the pic but it's too small! Can you post a bigger one of the wheels on the car?

I started to use beads that produces negative ion and I installed like the pictures, my gas mileage was jumped to 31.2mpg/avg from 26.4mpg / avg.

I'm having some trouble uploading pics, I will do so asap, but I got the beads from

you can see my fuel saving beads here;

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=22682&cat=500

I have a bridge and some land in florida to sell ......

nipper

Well,

nipper

Can I ask: Do you use them both in the fuel tank and air intake? Any chance these can break down in the Gas tank?

Thanks, John

Good lookin wagon! Thanks for the pic but it's too small! Can you post a bigger one of the wheels on the car?

Here's your photo of the missing cap AND one of the cap close-up from Aaron's Auto. Aircraft-engineer says there's a way to blow it up in Firefox; since I don't use that critter, I can't tell you how.

Still at 15? :eek: You didn't get that emission system demon out of your car yet?

post-24141-136027626983_thumb.jpg

post-24141-13602762699_thumb.jpg

in firefox go to "tools", "add ons" then click "get extensions". Search the extensions for "image zoom", find it and install it.

You now have the capability to zoom images in firefox by holding the mouse button (your choice which one - it's in "options") and zoom with the scroll wheel.

No image zoom for IE (in fact, nothing much for IE anyway, which is why I use firefox - brain dead IE and their "ACTIVE X" BS)

IF you don't have firefox, can't help you. it's my "browser of choice unless I AM FORCED TO USE IE

Can I ask: Do you use them both in the fuel tank and air intake? Any chance these can break down in the Gas tank?

Thanks, John

for now I just use it for the air filter,

for gas tank, I am making a wire tool (like a dipstick) so that I can take them out, if I don't want it.

will update.

• 3 weeks later...
for now I just use it for the air filter,

for gas tank, I am making a wire tool (like a dipstick) so that I can take them out, if I don't want it.

will update.

I checked it with manufacturer and said that for US model Subarus,

its better to use them in air filter or coolant reserver tank.

I use the beads in them both. with A/C on, I don't feel much loss of power.

I checked it with manufacturer and said that for US model Subarus,

its better to use them in air filter or coolant reserver tank.

I use the beads in them both. with A/C on, I don't feel much loss of power.

Sorry can't resist: "tool (like a dipstick"

Nipper we all know this stuff can't work because for $30 why wouldn't all manufacturers install them from the factory. Now that being said how is this possible, here are his links to the 08 Impreza's computer mpg readout:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19438&cat=500&ppuser=22682

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19437&cat=500&ppuser=22682

The only things that I can think of to raise mpg, would be"

Increase tire air pressure to 35 psi to lessen rolling resistance just a little bit more. That is what I carry in my Leggie OBW. It doesn't ride bad at all with the higher psi.

Add a can of Techron or TLC fuel system cleaner to the gas tank. That helps clean the injectors. Don't use the cheap stuff, it won't work well.

Drive a little slower on the interstate. Driving at 60 mph gives better gas milage then driving at 70 mph.

Dragon got 29.3 at 70 to 75 between Weed and Bakerfield :grin: If you go that slow in California, they'll run you down

Then she turned on the AC. and it dropped to 25

60 gallons from Tacoma to PHX

she kept bleeding air out of the tires to keep them at 34

techron - tricresyl phosphate detergent. Don't overdo it, though - 8 oz is enough for a 15 gallon tank

she kept bleeding air out of the tires to keep them at 34

No reason to bleed air of tires trying to keep them at 34. Sure the pressure will increase as the tire heats up, but will decrease when cooled off. Still suggest putting in air when tires are cold to 35 psi. It won't hurt anything if the heat build up the tire pressure a little.

I kept bleeding the tires because I went from 35 degrees and ice to 79 and cloudless skies in one afternoon! I've driven the route from SEA-PHX over 300,000 miles' worth (about a hundred round trips), and if I don't bleed the tires on all my vehicles southbound, I regret it. Blowouts at 80 are not recommended.

32 PSI cold in Medford ends up 42 PSI in Kettleman City (south of Stockton) if you don't bleed off air. Or, the reverse, you need to put in air at almost every station going northward in the spring. 32 in Phoenix will end up 20 (or less!) by the time you get to Redding, let alone the Siskiyous. You'd be on rims almost if you added no air before Eugene. Lots of experience here.

As far as the Techron goes, I use only Chevron gas because I seem to get better mileage and a happier engine. Add it, but you don't need to go whole hog on the amount. Just add it more than once, then once you've cleaned out the system stay with better gas! Arco may be cheap, but the detergents they DON'T add (and that Chevron does) help you put miles on your original engine.

Engines are expensive, both in time and money. Arco - $3.14 in PHX. Chevron - $3.17. Pay the .30 extra for the tank fill and get the detergents already added! May seem wasteful to some, but will save you money down the road.