Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch cable replacement

How flexible are you?

The hard part is getting under the dash to remove and install the cable end to the clutch bracket assembly. Theres a clip that holds the cable end, cant remember if its a bolt or screw. After thats removed just pull it out of the firewall from the engine compartment, remove from clutch fork then install in reverse order.

it's easy.

more important than detailed instructions and pictures is the suggestion to make sure you know exactly how it's attached on the clutch pedal side. it's not that hard to install the new one improperly if you don't know exactly how it goes on. snap a picture of how the existing one is attached if that link doesn't have good photos.

I lost the little "E" clip, and the whole attachement system under the dash is a real P.I.T.A.

It indeed is real tight under there..

I bought a pin, can't remember the name, but a pin with a head and several small holes down the side... I cut it off a little bit and got a retaining pin and two washers. installed it with washers on both sides and put the retaining pin in, and all is well, and a lot easier to mess with then sticking the stupid "E" clip back in.. thats how I lost it.. farting with it..

it is cut and dry.. autozone has them pretty cheaply to..

/mike

No - dealer only. Doesn't it say that in my write up!?

Dealer should only be about $20.

GD

OK OK, I was wondering if that was the same or not that the dealer gets. Does the dealer/Subaru have a website I can get it off of, or is the dealer the only one privy to it?

Just trying to avoid calling them and waiting the few xtra days, but will wait for the right one:D

Just trying to avoid calling them and waiting the few xtra days, but will wait for the right one:D

Most dealers can have clutch cables the next business day for you. Those are commonly stocked at the local warehouse level.

You can also try www.subarupartsforyou.com, or some of the other dealerships that sell parts online. You don't even have to leave your chair anymore if you don't want to.

You should also order the pin and the sping clip that attach the cable to the pedal. The pins are almost always shot, and you don't want to have to try and reuse that silly spring clip which, upon removal, will take flight somewhere into the neighbor's yard that's gaurded by a large mastiff...

Both are cheap - I buy 5 of each at a time.

GD

Most dealers can have clutch cables the next business day for you. Those are commonly stocked at the local warehouse level.

You can also try www.subarupartsforyou.com, or some of the other dealerships that sell parts online. You don't even have to leave your chair anymore if you don't want to.

You should also order the pin and the sping clip that attach the cable to the pedal. The pins are almost always shot, and you don't want to have to try and reuse that silly spring clip which, upon removal, will take flight somewhere into the neighbor's yard that's gaurded by a large mastiff...

Both are cheap - I buy 5 of each at a time.

GD

Don't make me break out my RC helicotper with a string and magnet applied to retrieve said clip.

My clips and everything are still pretty nice looking, but I will buy some new ones. Maybe it's been done before.:confused: I've only had this Brat about 2 months. Hmmmm, you buy 5 clips at a time? How often do you have to replace it?:grin:

I'm just gonna call my dealer tomorrow.

Hmmmm, you buy 5 clips at a time? How often do you have to replace it?:grin:

I change cars like I change underwear :rolleyes:

I currently own 3 EA81's. I've only ever had to change a cable once in all the EA81's I've ever owned with the exception of my lifted wagon (used an aftermarket the first time) - Because I use OEM cable's, and I do it right the first time.

Done right, the cables should last at least the life of the clutch. They should also never snap on you because it should be pretty obvious they are stretching, or are difficult to press - this indicates that the cable is wearing through it's nylon sheath internally and wants replaceing. EA81 clutches should operate smoothly and with almost no effort.

GD

while I agree that dealer parts is best, but I did not want to wait for mine and the nearest dealer was over an hour away.

I got my cable from Autozone and it installed in my car without any problems, but I only paid like 20 bux for mine..

It was/is a high quality cable that was made in italy as I recall..

my original cable was busted because the dude who had the car before me put it in wrong and had a bend in it in an inappropriate place and it was jamming and hard to push and I eventually snapped it..

put in the new one and it shifts like butter, difference is between night and day..

/mike

I change cars like I change underwear :rolleyes:

I currently own 3 EA81's. I've only ever had to change a cable once in all the EA81's I've ever owned with the exception of my lifted wagon (used an aftermarket the first time) - Because I use OEM cable's, and I do it right the first time.

Done right, the cables should last at least the life of the clutch. They should also never snap on you because it should be pretty obvious they are stretching, or are difficult to press - this indicates that the cable is wearing through it's nylon sheath internally and wants replaceing. EA81 clutches should operate smoothly and with almost no effort.

GD

Well, I'm gonna do it right the first time. My cable broke whilst inside the sheath. if I line things up, it looks like it broke about 6-8 inches from where it hooks to the fork. Right about where there is a little clamp/clip thingy to route the cable. Should I still put the new one through that clip? Seems like it makes a little of an angle. Like I said, I got this car a couple months ago, and wasn't sure how easy it is supposed to shift.

It was kinda stiff, but thought that was normal, although the wife did not.:grin:

Well, I'm gonna do it right the first time. My cable broke whilst inside the sheath. if I line things up, it looks like it broke about 6-8 inches from where it hooks to the fork. Right about where there is a little clamp/clip thingy to route the cable. Should I still put the new one through that clip? Seems like it makes a little of an angle. Like I said, I got this car a couple months ago, and wasn't sure how easy it is supposed to shift.

It was kinda stiff, but thought that was normal, although the wife did not.:grin:

See my recent post here about the clip... My '86 Brat has one but my '85 doesn't...

I think that it should be in the clip if you have one - I think the only reason people recomend routing under the heater hoses is to stop the cable from moving around when the peddle is pressed...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=712706&postcount=2

Steve