Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is an RX, vs a GL-10 sedan, vs Turbo Traction?

I picked up a parts car from Virginia, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. It looks just like the black 4-door at the top of this old Subaru ad (same color, same hubcaps, etc):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/Literature/brochures/1985-h.jpg

It is an 85 4-door, turbo, 5-speed with dual-range 4WD. Says 4WD TURBO on rear doors and on panel between tail lights. Had rear spoiler, but it is missing. Has "Electronic Height Control" air suspension. It does have a rear swaybar, but I'm not sure about rear LSD - should have looked at the diff when I had it on the trailer - it's now a low rider with deflated air suspension sitting in the dirt, and I can't see the diff.

The car is in bad shape, and I have not found out if it runs yet (or even if engine is not seized).

Is this just a GL-10 4WD turbo sedan? What does Turbo Traction mean? What is an RX?

Sorry I'm such a Subaru newb.

Last weekend I bought a 1989 GL-10 Turbo 4WD wagon from nkx on this board. 5-speed single-range with center diff lock and rear LSD. There is a local pretty informal rallyx series in central/eastern NC, and a friend and I plan to run the wagon.

I'm trying to get a mental inventory of all the good parts I have between the parts sedan and the wagon. The wagon runs/drives as-is, but we plan to add to it as time and $ permit.

Thanks!

Richard

IIRC the GL-10 said just that on the trunklid. The RX had a decal on the back door. They were both available with the spoiler, or at least I've seen them both with it.

If the car's been repainted you may need to find out if the RX/GL-10 difference can be sorted out with a VIN check.

Depends on the year.

Turbo Traction was a trim level from MY '85 only. It was part-time 4WD.

GL-10's are a trim level. They came in wagons, sedans, and 3 door coupes - both turbo and non. It's just a higher level trim package than GL. Extra options abound, but changed from year to year.

RX's are a different animal. 85/86 RX's are sedans. They came in Part-Time 4WD, with a higher low range than the rest of the vehicles (1.2:1 instead of 1.59:1). They have a special interior package with bolstered seats, etc. Turbo, rear disc brakes, rear sway bar.... all that stuff. No LSD's.

87 to 89 RX's are the 3 Door Coupe variety. They came with Full-Time 4WD, and a center diff locker (still with 1.2:1 low range), or in 4EAT Full-Time 4WD Automatic. The manual version came standard with a rear LSD. They only came in white - except for a few black one's made in 89.5.

In 90 there was a Loyale "RS". It was not a D/R car, but it was turbo. It looked basically like the RX but with grey trim, and a different decal set. No LSD, etc.

GD

The only place I've everseen that slogan was reference to the 84 EA81T sedan in the 84 FSM Turbo Supplement.

1985-f.jpg

It was used for the EA81T's as well, but this discussion wasn't really about that so I didn't mention it.

Also the EA81T didn't come in a sedan - Brat's, Coupe's, and Wagon's only. No hatch's and no sedan's.

GD

Thanks for the information all!!!

If I want to figure it out by the VIN on this sedan, where can I look to decode the VIN for that info? (I don't think Carfax would say RX, or would it?)

I am interested to know if the sedan has the 1.6 low range or the 1.2 low range. I think that 1.2 low range would be killer on the rallyx track (like a 4.44 overall ratio with the 3.7 diffs), but maybe the 1.6 would be too low (5.92 overall with 3.7s)? I'm considering swapping the dual range trans from the sedan into the wagon if we ever have the need (like are replacing the clutch on the wagon anyway, or pull the wagon engine to re-ring, or whatever).

We are just doing rallyx with the wagon (you know, the dirt autox, not a rally), and our competitions are not very formal (very few classes, we're lumped with ALL 4WD/AWD cars, regardless of mods). We're not in it to win, just to have fun in a cheap car. If we do well vs. the other drivers, that's just a bonus. :banana:

We'll use the EA82T wagon for now, just want to attend a lot of events and have fun. May swap in an EJ (or even get an older coupe/hatch or get an Impreza) if we get the desire later. I'll start a separate thread about the mods the wagon already has, how it does in the rallyx, and what other mods we do to it in the future.

OK, got outside and checked the sedan.

What I found:

- rear disc brakes

- 3.7 rear axle sticker

- NOT LSD

- Front seats look cool (besides being really, REALLY dirty), but I have no idea if they are RX specific

- t-case shifter sticker (which had come off but was on the floor) says something like 4WD Lo, 4WD Hi, FWD

Can I tell from this if the low range ratio is 1.6 or 1.2?

Thanks!

Richard

OK, got outside and checked the sedan.

What I found:

- rear disc brakes

- 3.7 rear axle sticker

- NOT LSD

- Front seats look cool (besides being really, REALLY dirty), but I have no idea if they are RX specific

- t-case shifter sticker (which had come off but was on the floor) says something like 4WD Lo, 4WD Hi, FWD

Can I tell from this if the low range ratio is 1.6 or 1.2?

Thanks!

Richard

The Dual Range trans makes it a good bet this is an RX. Wherte the seats checkerboard?

i remember from many years ago, my 2nd ever subaru, first ever ea82 was a 85 turbo traction wagon.

this one had the automatic (which are single range) and had the red on black intereior with the fancy checkered seats.

as far as a trim level goes this hould be the rarest.

mechanically your car is the same as any thru-94 subaru loyale, gl, rx turbo. electrically, the motor is the same as 85-86(specific to engine harness, disty, MAF)

here is the VIN chart:

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/rx/vin.htm

I think the Turbo Traction term applies to the push-button single-range 4WD 5speed that the turbo cars came with... the 4WD would kick in automatically under some conditions (like bombing down Snoqualmie Pass at 70mph in a rainstorm :headbang::rolleyes:)

Not until the 4eat could any subaru kick in the 4wd *automatically*

*Turbo-Traction* just means a turbo car with 4wd.

I think it is indeed an RX, or a GL optioned with all the RX gear.

If he had a gl-10, it would have digidash, trip computer, and a single range pushbutton trans.

Aside from the air shocks, it sounds just like my 86 RX sedan. Good luck and let us know if it runs when you get a chance.

I think that the low range would be the 1.2 if it is an RX.

One thing that's nice about these models is the short turning ratio, lock to lock. You can turn more quickly than in some other models of the same year.

It does have the checkered seats.

It does have the digital dash.

The decal on the door just says "TURBO 4WD", not RX.

The 7th digit in the VIN is a 5, which that VIN decoder URL says means "86 Turbo, GL-10 Turbo 87-89, GL full-time 4wd 3-door 87". This car is an 85, and even though 85 is not included in that description, that page shows that RX would have had a different 7th digit.

If it's not an RX, is there any chance that the trans has 1.2 low range, or did everything other than RX have 1.6 ratio? Not a big deal, I'm just curious. Is there a way looking at the trans in the car (without counting engine revolutions) to identify what ratio the low range is?

Does the trans shifter indicator I mentioned (4WD Lo, 4WD Hi, FWD) answer that question?

Thanks again!

What is the rear diff ratio? should be on a stick on the rear diff.

If it is 3.7, you most likely have the 1.2. Alo you could count the splines on the axle stubs. 23 = *normal* d/r with 1.59 reduction 25=RX d/r with 1.2

ound like a custom order car for sure. RX seats, GL-10 digidash and air suspenion, and RX D/R. cool

If it is 3.7, you most likely have the 1.2. Alo you could count the splines on the axle stubs. 23 = *normal* d/r with 1.59 reduction 25=RX d/r with 1.2

All turbo's were 25 spline axle. Regardless of tranmission type. Even the push-button and 3AT's. And being it's a "turbo-traction", not an RX - it's probably NOT a 1.2:1 transmission. But it's impossible to tell without testing the tranny.

GD

I've seen another car like the one you describe.

It was an '85 sedan with the part time dual range 5-speed, EA82T no rear LSD, checkerboard seats and digi dash. It was kinda a grayish blue coloe and only said "SUBARU" on the trunk. I'm willing to bet it was an optioned car my friend.

it does have air suspensions, with all that i bet its a gl-10 turbo traction like mine, but a sedan with a dual range. could have been special order. rare stuff like the mpfi non turbo 84 gl-10 mentioned in another thread.

Dude, you were in a beladonic haze when you think you saw that.

The car does not exist :rolleyes:

The only way to tell if the car is a RX is by the VIN #.

well it has been a while since i saw this mythical car. i do remember it being a gl1-10 sedan with digi dash and automatic 4wd, light blue. maybe it was a carb. but i do know there was an mpfi non turbo 85 gl-10 because spfi wasnt available and a carb was not gl-10 worthy.

anyway here is that vin page once again

http://www.economysuperstar.com/milesfox/subaru/rx/vin.htm