Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've heard about this before, and now my daughter's 03 LL Bean has the exploding front moonroof, pressured from the inside out. Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have aftermarket repair solutions? The dealer wants $368 + $50 labor. Suggestions appreciated! :clap: :clap:

Having done most of the work myself to repair the lift mechanism on my last 02 OBW LTD, my advice is to bite the bullet and have the dealership do the job. Unless you can find a totalled 2000-2004 OBW with a good sunroof in a junkyard, the glass can't be repaired, but only replaced. Its curved, and its glued to its steel frame, as well as having its seal bonded to both. If you want, buy the front glass assembly only, raise the roof as usual, and then looking up and back at the lift assembly you'll see 2 flat plastic caps that just pull off from over the front sunroof's lift points. Underneath are 2 (or maybe 4 its been a long time) 10 mm nuts that unlock the rear of the sunroof, and allow you to raise the entire sunroof almost vertical. Then at its front edge you'll see 2 (or 4 again) more 10 mm bolts that allow the entire front sunroof to be removed. Be careful not to lose any shims that maybe located under the bolts. Upon reassembly, be sure to install the sunroof side to side equally and get it centered in its opening, and then test drive the car at highway speeds to check for windnoise that wasn't there before the repair. (Been there and didn't do it the first time) NOTE: DO NOT push down or pull up on the lift mechanism scissors. They are fragile. And do not cycle the lift mechanism up or down until after you have the new sunroof back in place. The sunroof actually locates them in place and without it in place you'll strip the scissors assemblies from their locations. Good Luck!

i'd call some glass shops, some specialize in auto glass and can install lots of things. they can be very cheap too, at least in my limited experience they were. i've never had to do a sunroof but it's worth a couple phone calls....if they can't get the glass ask a few if they have experience and will install a used one for you if you buy it.

i'd be tempted to do it myself...sounds reasonable, but i know nothing about them so ignorance is bliss you know.

can't be that hard to find one in a yard...just needs to be close i guess since shipping is probably risky.

I've heard about this before, and now my daughter's 03 LL Bean has the exploding front moonroof, pressured from the inside out. Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have aftermarket repair solutions? The dealer wants $368 + $50 labor. Suggestions appreciated! :clap: :clap:

This is probably considered glass and may be covered by your car insurance.

It's not unheard of for moonroofs to explode, its not a sooby problem alone.

nipper

What the heck?

For future reference, when someone asks about known problems, 'exploding sunroof' fits in that category ;)

If mine goes, I'll look upon it as an opportunity to fit a panel to the sunroof frame that I can remove, so I can have a real opening sunroof...

Dave

I bought a used moonroof and assembly from Shaw's in Pocatello, shipped for $225. There are two nuts under black caps at the rear to remove, and two bolts at the front, located under the dome light assembly. Only takes about 15 minutes, once I figured it out. Also replaced passenger door glass myself, $70 for the glass. Took some time to vacuum up all the friggin glass. Thanks to the vandals who smashed the window just to see if there was anything to take (there wasn't!) Car karma awaits!