Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Expected gas milage

So I recently bought an '85 GL wagon. It has the three speed pushbutton 4wd and a carbed 1.8l. I drove it from Bozeman to Denver (usually ~10 hour drive) last weekend and was slightly disappointed. Obviously a three speed tranny will only go so fast, and these engines are relatively gutless but I was expecting a little better MPGs!

I was driving as fast as the car would do (about 75 with down hills faster/up hill slow) and was shocked to get only around 16.5 MPGs! Drove it a little more conservative on the way home, keeping the engine speed under 4k and still only got a little over 20mpgs.

I would like to do an engine swap some day and was curious what combo gets the best MPGs. obviously this varies with tire size, driving style and many other variables so if you could include some specs on what you are running, that'd help!

You are, in effect, asking "how high is up".

Currently it seems to me that the quality of the gasoline you are purchasing is not what it once was.

Here, in Imperial gallon land: (1/5 bigger)

'88DL SPFI 5 speed I regularly get 38-42 mpg (highway) 60mph

'91 2.2T auto @2500 rpm 36-38 (58mph highway) 8-18mpg (city) 13-19psi

'92 Loyale SPFI 5 speed (maiden voyage) 38mpg (highway) 60mph

Regular gas (2.2T= premium gas) above 60F.

These are NOT US cars, and may, or may not, pass any kind of emissions tests. Mileage gets worse the cooler it gets, and absolute "tanks" at less than -15C.

But not to worry, an Abrams tank requires 7 gallons of fuel to "light up", and averages 7 gallons per mile @29mph.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=M1P6jT8_yrgC&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=abrams+tank+fuel+mileage&source=web&ots=U5vY1u1sVU&sig=i9pLbXd2Nt7XCTi7hnaXq67-wW0&hl=en

Probably your biggest mileage suck is the 3 speed automatic. Those transmissions don't have an overdrive gear, and the engine really has to scream to keep them at highway speed. Combine that with the inherent MPG losses of any older automatic and it equates to significantly worse mileage than the 5 speed manual transmission.

I've never owned an automatic EA82 but others can chime in about what kind of mileage they get. For 5 speeds, I used to get 29-32 on the highway in my SPFI Loyale and currently get 27-30 in my GL with a Weber carb.

Andy

I drive my 5 speed 87' wagon to work everyday 60 miles there and back on the highway. I average 80mph on the highway. Mixed with the grocery getting during the week I average 29 mpg. If I did straight highway I'm guessing I'd get 35-38. No special goodies in the engine either.

'93 Loyale 3AT 2wd SPFI wagon, 26 city, 28 hwy.

'87 GL 5spd D/R carbed wagon, 28 city/ 31 hwy.

'89 GL 5spd 2wd SPFI sedan, 32 city/ 36 hwy.

'89 GL 4EAT Full-time AWD EA82T wagon, 24 city/ 29 hwy.

'93 Impreza 2wd 5spd EJ18 wagon, 29 city/ 33 hwy.

Subarus (especially NON AWD) typically get great gas mileage when tuned properly and have clean fuel systems.

Try cleaning the carb out and adjusting it, it's probably pretty far out of adjustment. Pour a little seafoam down the carb when it's warmed up, pour a can in the tank, make sure your tires are aired up, and drain and fill your ATF AND diff fluid. Fresh diff fluid will probably up the MPGs just a tad. Who knows, the stuff that's in there may be original. Also should change the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, pcv valve filter, and probably the pcv valve itself (OEM only).

After doing all that you should definitely notice a jump in gas mileage. I'm sure there's a vac leak somewhere in that jungle of hoses.

Wow, great responses! Thanks for all the input. I did just get the car and haven't checked any of the fluids or anything so I'm sure that they could all use a change. I plan on going with a DR 5 speed some day in the future....Lift....engine swap....Always being tickled by the mod bug;)

Andy said earlier:

Probably your biggest mileage suck is the 3 speed automatic. Those transmissions don't have an overdrive gear, and the engine really has to scream to keep them at highway speed.

This is definitely the BIG ONE as far as poor mileage results. And without an overdrive...

If you got 20mpg driving a little slower, you did well.

'93 Loyale 3AT 2wd SPFI wagon, 26 city, 28 hwy.

'87 GL 5spd D/R carbed wagon, 28 city/ 31 hwy.

'89 GL 5spd 2wd SPFI sedan, 32 city/ 36 hwy.

'89 GL 4EAT Full-time AWD EA82T wagon, 24 city/ 29 hwy.

'93 Impreza 2wd 5spd EJ18 wagon, 29 city/ 33 hwy.

Effin crap... Now I really want to ditch my Elco and get another Soob...

My 3AT coupe NEVER saw 28mpg highway, I put a couple grand into getting it PERFECTLY running, and drove it 14,000 miles... BARELY hit 24/25 MPG.

Effin crap... Now I really want to ditch my Elco and get another Soob...

My 3AT coupe NEVER saw 28mpg highway, I put a couple grand into getting it PERFECTLY running, and drove it 14,000 miles... BARELY hit 24/25 MPG.

That car rarely hit 60 on the highway, I really should have mentioned that. I couldn't stand hearing it strain so I went really easy on it. Even so... I've talked to quite a few people with 3ATs and they always mentioned never seeing above 25mpg.

My ( now backwoodsboys) 92 Loyale Bucky..would get 40+ on long highway runs FWD 5spd. I dont think I ever saw less then 30 with him..maybe John will say what he is getting now adays .

My 08 Impreza 5 door 5 spd AWD has gotten 28 steady out of past 2 tanks. I know I can get it up into the 30 range..did that when it went to FL 31.3 mpg

'86 hatch 4sp DR: Lil' guy averages about 26-27 mpg around town all the time. I don't know what he will do on a road trip.

All I have added is an MSD coil, wires, and a K&N filter (thanks Dr. DeMoss). Prior to doing this, he would get about 23-24 mpg around town.

'82 Brat, Hitachi carb, 4spd s/r, running whatever octane is cheapest, 26.4mpg average, 90% highway 10% city

Haven't tuned it up other than putting a set of spark plugs in and checking the timing. I saw an increase in mileage a little when I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets. Trialling it at lower speeds now (running 55mph on the freeway) and eggshells under the right foot.

My '87 Wagon gets 24.5 mpg highway, a little less in town, and a LOT less in 4WD. I use the four-d only when extremely necessary. The rest of the time I try not to run it up much past 3200rpm when passing people.

You know how it is. Runs good, but 'a car's gotta know its limitations...'

I drive my 5 speed 87' wagon to work everyday 60 miles there and back on the highway. I average 80mph on the highway. Mixed with the grocery getting during the week I average 29 mpg. If I did straight highway I'm guessing I'd get 35-38. No special goodies in the engine either.

Would this be a SPFI 2WD car?

The highway mileage figures you guys are giving--what are your typical highway speeds? The old EPA highway ratings are based on 60 mph. Also, some posts didn't mention 2WD or 4WD, carb or SPFI/MPFI, turbo or not.

'85 GL wagon, D/R 4x4 5 speed, Weber carb and no more emissions equipment: 30MPG @ 55-60 MPH, 27-28 MPG @ 65-75 MPH.

Andy

Back when I had my 4 speed 4wd 1984 Hatch I would get around 32 mpg. City, highway, driving style, it didn't quite matter, although I wouldn't really break 65 MPH, as all I had was an open y-pipe at the time.

Was that with a 1.8 L engine?