Ultimate Subaru Message Board

difficulty in mating 4sp-ea81

after a rear main seal replacement, I am having quite a bit of trouble getting the transmission and engine to jive. the clutch plate was installed with a centering tool so that is not the problem. I can get the input shaft into the clutch disc but not the pilot bearing. we are doing this with a floor jack and ratchet straps and two people. Ive done EJ transmissions several times and never had problems like this; it is a very similar setup.

we are using both lower studs and some very long M10 bolts through the top as guides. I think next try will be no studs at all to get the pilot bearing situated. if that doesn't work we will probably go to one lower stud.

any tips for success or ideas about what we may be doing wrong? Stuff like how many studs to use, what to do first, etc. we fought this thing for ~5 hours tonight and will be back at it on sunday.

I keep the pressure plate bolts a little loose. That way if it starts to fight me the clutch will move to help get it lined up with the bearing. The bolts can be tightend thru the starter hole. Also put some bearing grease on the tip of the tranny shaft.

+1 for Loosen the PP bolts. I never use an alignment tool - they are cheap plastic and often don't work right causing your exact situation. Tighten the bolts only enough so that you can reach in and move the disc around but don't leave them so loose that the disc just flops in there by itself. It should move with a slight resistance and stay where you move it to. Eyeball the disc to the center and the tranny will slide right on - gauranteed.

Then tighten the PP bolts to spec through the starter hole.

GD

just curious,but did you check to see if your bearing fits on the output shaft?i have had it not fit..i know it sounds remedial,but is very possible if it is new.

+1 i always make sure the pilot bearing fits the output shaft when they are apart,Its something you cannot see when putting them together.

Oh and try and rotate the crankshaft pulley and see if they are not just misaligned too.

• 2 months later...
Just want to keep this around, After 2 hrs of cussing and troubles mating the trans and the engine, I searched the board. Found this and it worked! This should be in the manual someplace...

It probably should be in the USRM if it isn't. It's a good trick.

And if you like that - next time you need to take off a crank pulley or stop the engine from rotating for any reason - thread about 10 feet of nylon rope into cylinder #1 with the engine at TDC on the comp. stroke. ;)

GD