Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project Ramrod Spec C TWE Header Pics inside.

• 2 weeks later...

WOOHOO the header is bolted up, thanks to Merkatroid finisihing the hog outs on the header... but of course with my car, it likes to throw a curve ball, a stud pulled, but I might... MIGHT be able to heli-coil it, It looks like it barely took out any material and I should have enough room to do it with the header in place, If i have to take this off I may have to shoot myself.

My car doesnt leak oil on the ground (when its put together) but it does leak it slightly, for me thats unacceptable, I wish I could rip this engine out of there and reseal the entire thing, but, no time no money, and I dont want any more bolts to have a chance to rip out on me :grin:

You should be able to find a td04 around 100-250 bucks, above 200 is pushing it though. And they are all over, ie ebay or nasioc or rs25. One just went for $50 on rs25

I might have to look into that. I would like to have a TD04 for the benefits of performance, but I'm just wondering what the long term affects would be on the engine. I really don't have the cash to replace another engine @ $850 and up.

But on a lighter note, I am glad that you got your header bolted up and am sorry to hear that your car is not playing nice(by the stud coming out and everything).

if you keep the stock boost level I dont believe that there would be any disadvantage to having the tdo4 on your car. I dont have time after working to go and get heli coils or time serts(I do have some time, but 105+ temps take away your motivation) so it looks like it will be this weekend that I will be working on my car.. maybe.

if you keep the stock boost level I dont believe that there would be any disadvantage to having the tdo4 on your car. I dont have time after working to go and get heli coils or time serts(I do have some time, but 105+ temps take away your motivation) so it looks like it will be this weekend that I will be working on my car.. maybe.

Yeah, I have entertained the idea of a TD04 before, but I actually think that I may follow through this time, well, now that the shine of a modded "turd"(as someone once called it; VF7) has finally worn off and I have seen the light. The extra air moving ability of the TD04 would be very much a welcome addition.

I know what you mean about the 105+ degree temps being a morale killer. But in the end, you have to look at it from the standpoint of whether you want to get your car running(Yes.......you know you do!:grin: ). How fast you want to get back to enjoying it will wind up being the deal breaker.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

So... I am leaving for alaska on the 23 to go salmonella fishing, and as soon as I get back I have to catch up on the new school year at GCC. So i need to get this turd running in the next week so I can get it smogged and re registered and ready to rock for my 2008 2009 schoolyear. So i dont care if it is leaking some water or oil or whatever.

Although I am having trouble getting the engine back in its holes... GRRR!!!

ok, the headers stud isnt getting fixed this time, the header will have to come off for me to do it. I have the turbo on the header, the radiator was fixed by my dad, and I have the engine back in its motormount holes... I would like to get it running tonight but, I dont know if thats gonna happen. Ill update as soon as something else happens.

update: Ok, heres whats new, I got the radiator installed and the fan, Its filled with coolant, I have the turbo downpipe on the turbo but the header makes it about 2 inches away from the rest of the exhaust... I need to find a way to temporarally support it, But it will be loud when I start it tomarrow.

The intercooler is hooked up all except the throttlebody. Somehow I have lost a hose clamp for that elbow, so it will wait untill tomarrow.

that about sums it up, the battery is getting a trickle and it will run tomarrow and hopefully for the first time since 2 months after i got it, NO EXHAUST LEAKS :headbang:

Yeah, I hope it doesnt crap out on me... But it wouldnt be the first time.

I just need to go to autozone or checker and buy 1 large hose clamp and its ready to crank.

EDIT: well I went out side and it appears that my radiator still has a moderate leak... THANKS DAD :-\

IT LIVES!!!!!!!! but alas, I am still getting low boost about .33 floored... so... Merkatroid suggests that I need to check my wastegate and be positive that it is closed because thats the easiest thing to check

On a better note, I got the exhaust system to pull up to the downpipe sucessfully so its not super loud... but it is definately throatier just as slow as any other subaru wagon... and the radiator leak i believe was caused by a bent hose clamp. I fixed that.

IT LIVES!!!!!!!! but alas, I am still getting low boost about .33 floored... so... Merkatroid suggests that I need to check my wastegate and be positive that it is closed because thats the easiest thing to check

On a better note, I got the exhaust system to pull up to the downpipe sucessfully so its not super loud... but it is definately throatier just as slow as any other subaru wagon... and the radiator leak i believe was caused by a bent hose clamp. I fixed that.

Td04? mine was bad for shaking loose and vibrating. easy to adjust. but also be aware of gaskets in the exhaust, if they arent full crush metal they may not even last for much of anything. i had one in my old WRX i thought was ok to run since it had the metal ring in it, drove it to get pizza ate there got in and no boost. that was all back when i didn't know jack about imports/new cars let alone a turbo one.

hope you solve it

Does your TD04 have the adjustable wastegate actuator arm? If so, start shortening that actuator arm pronto. I had a similar thing happen when I had a '95 WRX wagon(JDM). It took me a couple days to get it adjusted where it need to be(thanks to engine heat, horrible weather, wife and kids, etc). But after I got it where it needed to be, BOY OH BOY!!! That thing ran like a scalded ape and had some sick turbo response.

Patrick

yeah I am going to do that, I leave for alaska tomarrow so Ive been driving the old fuel out of it and am going to leave it on fumes for the 2 weeks Ill be gone.

She passed emissions, the guys said it was bad to run an all-time 4wd on the 2 wheel dyno, as i started to say its 2wd, i stopped, and let them do their thing.

Passed like no other 0% carbonmonoxide, dont ask how, and 26 hydrocarbons... Woot woot thats my green machine!

yeah I am going to do that, I leave for alaska tomarrow so Ive been driving the old fuel out of it and am going to leave it on fumes for the 2 weeks Ill be gone.

She passed emissions, the guys said it was bad to run an all-time 4wd on the 2 wheel dyno, as i started to say its 2wd, i stopped, and let them do their thing.

Passed like no other 0% carbonmonoxide, dont ask how, and 26 hydrocarbons... Woot woot thats my green machine!

you know,... I bet that's how my Winona passed in Atlanta in 07 before she was MY Winona :grin:

Looks great bro!:banana:

I can't wait to get back stateside so that I can work on my GL-10. I plan on revamping the exhaust(including getting a custom made header), among other things(*sighs at having to shell out cash for another engine*:rolleyes:). I am also planning on getting 280Z injectors and a Walbro fuel pump. I think the limiting factor for me will be the stock VF7 as I don't plan on changing it unless I can find a spiffy deal on a TD04.

Patrick

Patrick.. my memory kind of sucks sometimes. Is the motor on your wagon hosed? I have a couple of spares. By the time you get home, I will probably be done with EA82s.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The car is running like garbage, It is acting like it has a metered air leak, but It doesnt, I confirmed that by bypassing my intercooler setup completely. I am recently replaced plugs with ngks (i dont do autolite) and I am now going to buy new wires for it. Just trying to narrow down what the heck is going on with my car

On cold startup it idles a little rough but its when you try to give it any gas it stumbles, it has trouble getting over 4500 and then more trouble at 5800+, it acts like its running out of breath. once it warms up its fine, but something is getting heat soaked because after driving for a while in traffic especially, it will suddenly have no power under acceleration, it will blow pig rich soot out the tail pipe and be slower than a dog.

WHY DOES MY CAR HATE ME?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Still no rebuild. OH and the car doesnt start now, it cranks and sounds like a piston is just chilling out ex, not connected to crankshaft by anymeans.

I cant find the time or money with a job in the A.M. and school in the P.M. also I have no place to tear it apart that is clean. I am debating EJ or EZ swap but that seems like it will never come. Its hard to find quality internals for these old engines. I dont like the parts in stores on ebay because those are some parts that I have no idea about their integrity.

Bottom line, if this engine is rebuildable I will most likely try to save it. If not then im screwed because the EJ idea is starting to look expensive (i dont put an ej in a car non modified thats a sin considering what ive seen ejs do.)

does anyone want to point and laugh at me? go ahead.

BTW borrowing your dads taco sucks, its fun and faster than my car, but you cant use it all the time :-\

Now that im done complaining, I will let you guys read my run on sentences and think about your own cars.

Good news, I am most likely getting an 82t engine from someone down here. YAY. Ill be going down to see it tonight and if it looks as good as it does in the pics, it will be mine.

Dont worry ill still tear this one down in exploritory surgery :lol: