Ultimate Subaru Message Board

still fighting with my 85 brat

i am still trying to figure out the issues with the engine in my brat. i cant get it to run right, its a lot closer than it was though. right now, when you give it some right foot, it hesitates for a second, then revs. it will hold the revs where ever you hold your foot on the pedal, granted, it needs new throttle cable. but i cant figure out how to get it running right so that i can get it on the road again. ive tried the distributor timing, rebuilt the carb twice, replaced the dead fuel pump, checked for vac leaks, and i am running out of ideas, ive been told by people out here that its everything from the accelerator pump to the distributor being bad.

if this was an ea82t, it would most likely b e back on the road by now, but i have no real knowledge of the ea81 or carbs. timmy needs help.

Have you replaced the fuel filter on the car? No, not the one that looks like a fuel filter in the engine compartment, but the one right after the fuel pump (yes, under the car). Normally, this causes fuel starvation, but I've had one case where it caused erratic running as the fuel pump tried to overcome the flow restriction.

yes, i got a timing light, but i cant find the timing marks on the flywheel.

the fuel filters were replaced last summer before i got the car and the new pump has a filter attached to it. ill change the other filter out with a new one i have for it.

and wouldnt be the preheater hose sending exaust fumes to the carb since its not there and the air cleaner isnt on the carb.

needless to say, im still clueless.

yes, i got a timing light, but i cant find the timing marks on the flywheel.

the fuel filters were replaced last summer before i got the car and the new pump has a filter attached to it. ill change the other filter out with a new one i have for it.

and wouldnt be the preheater hose sending exaust fumes to the carb since its not there and the air cleaner isnt on the carb.

needless to say, im still clueless.

I had this issue when the timing was out.

I'm assuming your flywheel is rusted up. If so, you need to clean it up so you can find your marks - they are stamped onto the front edge.

I'm not sure if it caused my problems but I switched the ignition module from another dissy I had lying around which cleaned up the timing.

You won't be able to get it running right without the timing set up properly. Do that first.

Steve

exactly my problem, i cant track it down :(

It could be bad gas, or a slightly open EGR. One of the vacuum solenoids leaking, PCV, old O2 sensor(if it has one), Idle mixture screw out of adjustment, timing, worn plug gap, etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so yeah, i still cant figure anything out, doesnt help that i havent gone out to work on it in a while:banghead: .

i am still clueless about the carb in this thing. i really want to get it bsack on the road before i go on vacation in a couple weeks, but its soo hard to get anything done since there isnt anyone around here that can help me out :( . i kinda feel lost and helpless on this. if i wasnt trying to gt it running soo soon, and i had some room to work on and store some cars and parts, i would just go ahead and swap the engine in the car. but for my trip, id really like to get the ea81 running right so that i could at least drive it to show it off to my dad, lol. that and it should get better milage than my impreza.

this is driving me crazy. on top of the engine problems, the seats are messed up too, but i can rig them to work properly. but i want the car runnign before i worry about that.

would help if i could find the socket and wrench to turn the crank, last time i messed with it, i couldnt findthe timing marks on the flywheel, i tried tapping the starter to rotate it a little at a time. but it might be corroded over and i cant get anything through the timing window to clean the fly wheel.

Read it.

Mentions you know how to use one.

You need to do that first.

Steve

To find the timing marks you might try parking the car on a level surface place it in 3rd or 4th gear and slowly pushing the car forwards or backwards. Take the disty cap off and you should see the marks as the rotor nears the various towers on the disty cap. Kind of brute force, but it will work.

would help if i could find the socket and wrench to turn the crank, last time i messed with it, i couldnt findthe timing marks on the flywheel, i tried tapping the starter to rotate it a little at a time. but it might be corroded over and i cant get anything through the timing window to clean the fly wheel.

I just use a wrench to turn the alternator pulley since it's easier to get to on my Loyale. If it starts slipping as it nears compression, push down on the alt belt as you turn the pulley.

you mentioned the air cleaner isn't on the carb. isn't there a pantload of vac lines into those blue kidneys? wouldn't that cause critical vac leaks if those hoses are just laying open?

even more impaortant that that, though, i gotta go with the guys telling you to check the timing. if you have to, have somebody help you by bumping the starter while you look in there with a flashlight. maybe try VERY CAREFULLY taking some light sandpaper to it as they bump to clean it up a bit, then follow up with a rag and some cleaner. i'm sure you already know but disable your ignition by removing the coil wire or something before you do this.

if you have no other option, you could pull the rad for enough space (and pull the spark plugs to lower resistance) then get a 22mm socket on the crank bolt and use a breaker bar to spin the engine while you find the marks. go slow, clean the rust if necessary and you'll find 'em. then mark 8 degrees with a brightly colored paint pen or something similar as soon as you find it.

definitely get the timing verified by any means necessary, though. until you do you're stumbling in the dark.

good luck, man.:)

cant find hte 22mm socket, like ive said a couple times, but the alternator wont turn the engine, the belt will just slip first. but i am going to try to work at it tonight. i also talked to a friend of mine that is a master tech, ase and subaru. he said that he might be able to come over and get it sorted out. dude knows his subarus. i just hope he can make it in time to get the car on the road before my trip.

i have honestly thought about it. either that or spfi swap on it. eventually, i am going to do an engine swap, but first i really want to get the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes sorted out before i worry about doing an engine swap in it.

i need to figure out what i need and then figure out where to get it without spending too much, i am trying to go on vacation in two weeks and id like to be able to afford the gas to do so, lol.

right now, i can afford to spend about $150 on parts to get it sorted out. can a full spfi swap or weber set up be had for that?

even if it can, how likely is it to be doable in my timeframe?

my brat was doing the same thing then i put a weber on it and supprise NO MORE FLAT spot off idle and cruising maybe u should try that :P