Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Engine cuts out/sputters on corners

Hey guys-

My EA-82 is being a POS again.... I just changed the coil, wires, plugs, fuel filter (my GL only has 1 that I can find....) and my engine is doing this screwy cutting out B.S. on corners..

I have no clue what this could be. The car has never done this before.

It will sputter hard at about 2500 rpm and then I'd downshift and rev the piss outta her and it would clear out and run alright for a lil while... I ran 2 bottles of the red bottled heat 2 tanks ago and its still acting up...

HELP!!!!! I need ideas....

torxx, I mean the level of the float is too low, a mechanical adjustment done by opening the carb and bending the tab that the float presses against the float valve needle. Usually requires a gasket.

You should probably just rebuild the whole thing. A rebuild kit will also have a gauge for checking the float height, in addition to a new float valve and needle.

and if you get a hitachi going good again, it could be alot less headaches. my weber was not just a bolt on and go thing. i never got it working right, and now have a de-emissioned hicachi, thats working great.

a hitachi off a lower mileage engine might be a great option too.

Torxxx,

If you want it, I've got a low-mileage hitachi carb that you could have pretty cheaply. The only catch is that I'm not sure it would pass I.M. because it's off of a JDM engine and some connections are either different or not there (at least compared to my 1986 engine). About four months ago I fully cleaned it and put in a new accelerator pump and gasket. It works great, I just took it off to put on the Weber. PM me if you're interested.

I'ma go check the JY since I dont have much money these days..

Hopefully the guy will give me a carb and let me work it off pulling the parts that he needs...

Thanks for the help guys..

Snowman, lemme see how big my next paycheck is and I'll let you know

• 9 months later...

Could be that there is a piece of dirt or dirt rolling around in the bottom of the carb and getting sucked up into the jet as you corner. Can you drain the carby? Can you take the jets out? Can you get it to misbehave and then stop straight away and remove the main jets,(hopefully with the speck of dirt still in the jet).