Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best tire shop? Where do you go?

I just bought my wife an 08 impreza and wanted to bling it out for her so I got her some ADR sokudo 10's on Dunlop sp sports. Got the wheels off ebay and tires of tirerack so I took it to a local shop called Perfection tires here in Coeur D Alene. The tires shake the steering wheel like crazy over 40 mph. I know, take it back and have them fix it. I will but it will be the last time I go in there, and they used hammer on weights, I thought custom wheels used stick on weights?

I'm tired of having to take things back 2 and 3 times to tire places. I used to go to Les Scwab but the smart ace punks that work in there think they know more than everybody else and usually end up breaking a lug or cross threading a nut every time I go in there. I've tried Sears Tire center they have 16 yr old children working in there that can't change a bike tire.

There are a few small shops but I doubt they have the high dollar balance machines or experience with nice wheels. Is it that hard to balance a tire?

Where does everyone else go for tire balancing and tire related issues?

Later Jason

those darn punk kids! *shakes fist in air*

I go to both Les Schwab and Firestone... depends on who is cheaper at the time...

my dad used to take his porsche to Goodyear...

it really depends on the specific shop, not just the chain... gotta find one that has the people that will take their time and actually care a little...

I wouldn't go to Firestone in Oregon City Center, but I'd go to the Firestone on Powell at 80th...

--Spiffy

I just bought my wife an 08 impreza and wanted to bling it out for her so I got her some ADR sokudo 10's on Dunlop sp sports. Got the wheels off ebay and tires of tirerack so I took it to a local shop called Perfection tires here in Coeur D Alene. The tires shake the steering wheel like crazy over 40 mph. I know, take it back and have them fix it. I will but it will be the last time I go in there, and they used hammer on weights, I thought custom wheels used stick on weights?

I'm tired of having to take things back 2 and 3 times to tire places. I used to go to Les Scwab but the smart ace punks that work in there think they know more than everybody else and usually end up breaking a lug or cross threading a nut every time I go in there. I've tried Sears Tire center they have 16 yr old children working in there that can't change a bike tire.

There are a few small shops but I doubt they have the high dollar balance machines or experience with nice wheels. Is it that hard to balance a tire?

Where does everyone else go for tire balancing and tire related issues?

Later Jason

Hope it isn't the ebay wheels...

I like Discount Tire in general. They've always treated us very well, both in price and after-the-sale service. (They're also a certified installer for Tire Rack)

In Shawn's recommendation, I did go to Sam's Club to get the tires I have on my '01 Forester. Discount either didn't offer them or they were more expensive. Good service there too. I wanted a more aggressive tire for the lighter vehicle.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

I've found the best sevice, level of competency, courtesy, and usually lowest price at independently owned shops.

Many times the owner has at least some "hands on" with your job.. they'll do what you ask, not just some "by the book" procedure, if you ask for something out of the ordinary.

My 2 bucks

I've found the best sevice, level of competency, courtesy, and usually lowest price at independently owned shops.

Many times the owner has at least some "hands on" with your job.. they'll do what you ask, not just some "by the book" procedure, if you ask for something out of the ordinary.

My 2 bucks

I second ... we avoid chain tire and service stores. The smaller locals really want your business, and they REALLY want your repeat business. our local tire shop even stores your off-season wheels for you, we don't need that service but for apartment dwellers it's great and shows how far small shops will go.

I have had a consistent good experience at Discount Tire. Fair pricing and great service. Also nice that they will fix flats for free on any car that you own, not just on the tires that they sold you.

Big O Tire here in Indiana is pretty good too, but really only as good as the guy that you are dealing with there.

Stay away from Walmart. Those dummies working the tire shop are really too dumb to be even hired by Walmart. I wouldn't even trust those guys to properly do an oil change.