Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Has anybody ever had this problem?

No jumping, just average wheeling. I have an AA 4" lift, and the bolts through the "triangle" parts that support Tranny and control arm stabilizer have pulled out of the body...... and taken part of the underside of my car with them.

Edited by '86 oopsie

Metal fatigue probably. I would wager they got loose and you wheeled too far before inspecting and tightening all your lift blocks. Under normal circumstances, with the bolts all tight, that would be nearly impossible to accomplish. But if the bolts work loose a bit they can apply forces that the body wasn't designed to handle when they bounce in the holes and pull sideways ect.

You should check and tighten everything after every run, and several times durring the first outing with a new lift, or modifications.

GD

I had to do a similar fix to the rear when the lift bolts broke out of my car you will have to find the spot right over the bolt hole in side of the car and cut a hole in the floor big enough to get at the top of the bolt and re weld a nut in then patch up the floor , there will be a couple layers to cut through . good luck !

easy fix

I just did this last weekend. broke both bolts.

easy way take a lag bolt and run it up through the lift block and crossmember hole through the floor so u know where to air hammer.

then trim out the metal on the floor with an airhammer

it has a captive nut (junk piece of metal thats threaded, isnt even a nut)

I replaced the bolt from bolt head on top with the nut on the underside so if it breaks or comes lose at least the bolt stays in there and keeps stuff aligned.

He most likely didnt do anything wrong. It happens with the lifts. you are adding a 4 inch longer bolt that flexes and the captive nut is very very mild steel.

fix should take bout 20 min a side. I used a 5 1/2 inch long bolt 7/16 diameter.

pm me if u need anymore help

• Like 1

He most likely didnt do anything wrong. It happens with the lifts. you are adding a 4 inch longer bolt that flexes and the captive nut is very very mild steel.

You are correct - long bolts put high stress loads on the capture nuts - they were not designed for this and that should be taken into account when properly designing a lift.

It's a poor design. On all my lifts I have used the original bolt's to secure the blocks to the body and then separate bolts to secure the suspension components to the blocks. This avoids almost all the unnecessary stressing of the capture nuts and the uni-body. On 4" lifts this is super easy as the lift blocks are just 2" sections of 2"x4"x1/4" wall channel. I gusset the channel on the open sides as well leaving an opening to slip the bolts through and get a ratchet/breaker bar on them.

GD