Ultimate Subaru Message Board

moving to Wisconsin, who's there?

ok, so I'm leaving the subaru paradise of the northwest and moving to wisconsin, land of rust and road salt...

I'm not looking forward to watching my vehicles die a quick rotten death...

so who here is in wisconsin? I'll be in manitowoc, but probably traveling to the northwest quadrant since that's where all the forest is and I'll need to get my fix on...

wife wants to move back in 4-5 years, so the kid can go to school in portland... we'll see how things go... we're leaving for wisconsin on the 29th...

--Spiffy

wife wants to be closer to family and friends... brother could use some help with the family business... and the cost of housing is too much in portland...

--Spiffy

Good luck with the move; I hope it works out for you.

Do you think the price of housing in Portland will be any better in 5 years?

Do you think the price of housing in Portland will be any better in 5 years?

no... but since the wife will have help with the kid she'll be able to go back to school and get a degree... so if we both have jobs when we move back and the kid is in school we should be able to afford a fixer upper in the bad part of town... hehe...

alone I estimate I make enough to buy a $150k house... the median home price in portland is $275k, and in manitowoc it's $93k... granted, I won't be making as much money out there, but your money goes a lot farther...

and in the list of the 100 best places to live oregon doesn't even make it, although wisconsin only has one on the list...

it'll definitely be interesting the next few years...

--Spiffy

and in the list of the 100 best places to live oregon doesn't even make it, although wisconsin only has one on the list...

it'll definitely be interesting the next few years...

--Spiffy

probably Madison, WI. i lived there, but moved back to milwaukee.

make sure to bring back some old soobs, we can use them around here. otherwise if you need parts go to cindy's salvage in cambridge, wi (the fabled "subaru heaven") i know i got the only 2 brats in milwaukee, for sure.

you might just like it here enough to stay. first of all you m ay freak out about how ridiculously easy it is to register a car out here, and even car insurance is not required to do so.

the tax base might be more out here, but you may find the laws to be less strict and the state to offer more services

moving to wisconsin can't be a bad thing. it was a good thing for me

make sure to bring back some old soobs, we can use them around here. otherwise if you need parts go to cindy's salvage in cambridge, wi (the fabled "subaru heaven") i know i got the only 2 brats in milwaukee, for sure.

I'm bringing my '82 and '69, but they're not leaving my possession... (: I'll just taunt everybody with them...

I'll have to remember Cindy's... I know parts aren't as plentiful out there...

once I'm settled a bit and can hit some dirt I'll be posting for a meet-up of the locals...

--Spiffy

I had to check the map to see where iowa was in relation to wisconsin... (:

about 4.5 hours to effigy mounds... 6.5 or more to duluth...

I hope there's camping near effigy mounds... might be able to camp with the kid next year...

--Spiffy

• 1 month later...

after a grueling 2000 mile drive we made it...

biggest penske truck I could get (26'), but everything from the house and the 360 van in the back of it... towed the '82 on a trailer behind it... my friend followed in the '00 forester...

here's a pic!

DSC06490_resave.sized.jpg

we were almost to our destination...

we left on monday 9/29 in the evening and got here thursday 10/2 in the evening...

slept in the vehicles monday night just after getting into washington... tuesday night we got a hotel room... wednesday night slept in the vehicles again...

it was sad to leave the northwest and the abundance of subarus...

--Spiffy

• 3 weeks later...

My 2cents. If you in manitowoc, I live right by the like off hwy 10 or 110 what ever people call it. Its the only road into manitowoc. =P My svx is still for sale as no in in the fox valley knows WTF it is or its worth =P Still working on the brat and still cant insert pics(help please)

Hope your enjoying this damn cold winter so far, Im goin to fla for a few weeks YAY

Darrell

sounds like you're the closest member to me...

there's a few svx's on craigslist for sale... one of them yours?

a brat eh? yeah, get that thing going so we can go play off road...

I'm loving this snow... looking for any excuse to go out for a drive...

as for pics, you'll need a place to host them, like photobucket or the like, or you can upload them to the USMB photo section (click Quick Links, Pictures and Albums, but they may need to be resized)... you can get more help on that in the Site Help and Suggestions forum...

--Spiffy

Alright, I kinda figured out the pics issue now, grr aol popup blocker. Yea, my brat runs and all that now, had to redo like everything in her. That SVX that i want 4k for, thats mine on CL in appleton. One of the better ones for sale I think since its all i do is live breath cars. Having fun in the snow also, sledding rocks in the outskirts of town just ripping down the ditches and whatnot. Maybe we can go baja sometime.

Catch ya around im the crazy kid(figure of speech) in the DMC or one of my subies.

Darrell

you should join the Social Group that SoobieKoralli created on here... Quick Links menu, then Social Groups... don't know if you have to be invited or can just join...

I'm probably driving the only reef blue ea81 in the state, so I'll be easy to see...

I'm sure we'll have to wait until summer to see the DMC... lots of those back where I lived in california...

--Spiffy

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you should say that, Manitowoc that is. I moved here a couple years ago to join the Burger Boat crew and my wife loves it here, well all but the 30 plus below 0 temps.

I own a 2000 Forester that just threw a timing belt last night, at leat I think its a timing belt.

If you need help getting to know the city or anything else I would be happy to help

ok, so I'm leaving the subaru paradise of the northwest and moving to wisconsin, land of rust and road salt...

I'm not looking forward to watching my vehicles die a quick rotten death...

so who here is in wisconsin? I'll be in manitowoc, but probably traveling to the northwest quadrant since that's where all the forest is and I'll need to get my fix on...

wife wants to move back in 4-5 years, so the kid can go to school in portland... we'll see how things go... we're leaving for wisconsin on the 29th...

--Spiffy