Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 - ea82 5sp conversion, flywheel?

Phizinza

When putting the 5sp d/r on an EA81 engine what has to be done the the flywheel?

The EA81 in question has the 225mm flywheel size same as EA82's. So could I just use the friction plate from the EA82 in the EA81's pressure plate and flywheel? Why would that not work? I've read the EA82's flywheel either needs to be modified to fit or the EA81's flywheel needs machining down?

What I used when doing the 5spd swap into the ea81t coupe I used the larger ea81 flywheel and a ea82 clutch disk with the ea81 pressure plate and ea82 thow out bearing. Sounds like a big mix of mischief but it works really well. The only other thing I did was shim the ea81 starter with some thin shim washers about 1mm to make it mate up with the ea82 trans better.

I have:

ea82 flywheel turned to xt6 specs, ea82/xt6 clutch disc, xt6 pressure plate.

the bolt holes are slightly larger in the ea82 flywheel, but since it's centers on the end of the crank, it does not create any issues. locktighted down. I've not had any issues....

If you're EA81 was a manual, you will need to remove some material on the engine side bell-housing. If the car is or the engine was an automatic, the bell-housing will be larger to fit the torque converter.

I used the same mix of parts as TheBeastIDrive and McBrat, but I did have problems with the bolt holes in the EA82 flywheel being too big. I had to install shims to keep the flywheel from knocking around.

If I were to do it again (Which I will when the RX trans goes in) I would use an aftermarket lightweight flywheel off a WRX modded to fit my EA81 and possibly the WRX clutch if the EA throw out bearing will work. Barring that, I would turn the stock flywheel and get a heavy-duty aftermarket XT6 clutch kit.

I am doing the same swap on my 83 GL Wagon from a 3AT to 5 speed. Last week I swapped out the pedal box, that wasn't too bad. Yesterday I put the Hill Holder in. What a pain! All of the steel lines under the hood were different and had to be swapped. I'm glad that part is over with. Next step will be the radius arm brackets.

-Jeff

Yeah, I'm not going to bother with hill holders or what not I'm just going to swap in the box. I've made a custom gearbox crossmember before when I put my FT4WD/EJ/1.59low box in my Brat/Brumby. So that won't be an issue, its pretty easy. And My brother is going to help me out making a 1 piece shaft for the box (he done both of his propshafts on his 4runner when he stuck a second transfer case in it).

Just thinking here as I am getting ready for the swap soon. I already have the Large Brat 8 7/8 EA81 flywheel but no clutch parts yet. I also have a complete XT6 Flywheel pressure plate disc ect that all match.

Could I just use the complete XT6 flywheel and clutch (with helicoil spacers and the EA81 flywheel bolts) and a Dual Range?

Other option is just stick to the original plan and get the large EA81 Brat GL pressure plate and the EA82 24 spline disc from a Wagon.

Opinions?

Thanks,

-Jeff