Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time Owner 87' GL Wagon Help PLz

OK so hi to everyone here :headbang: Bought an Automatic 1987 GL Station Wagon with the 1.8 SPFI FWD for $1000 79,000 miles on it, interior is in great shape and it has 0 rust.

So far I have replaced:

Broken timing belt (2 new belts)

Front Halfshafts

New PLugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor

Air filter

Shocks

Oil change

tranny oil change

Pads and shoes

and some water hoses

Speakers/stereo

1983 Nissan Maxima Fuel Pump

previous owner had a 2" catless exhaust put in

First of all the brakes worry me: It seems to brake very low on the first push. When the brake is released and engaged again the pedal pops up. I tried the adjustment at the rear drums. I adjusted one but the other is locked (really I couldnt move it at all) I dont have any visible fluid leaks at the tires. Maybe a slight leak the the reservoir. Could the stuck adjustment knob be a problem?

Next Issue: I would like to use a cone filter on the MAF could that cause problems/issues? Would I be better of modifying the stock filter housing to suck air from the fender and not hot muffler air?

Radiator Fans: Can I use one or two electric fans instead of the belt driven one and have it function properly? (AC radiator and fan removed)

Power Stearing res leaks were it meats the pump how do I seal it? Gasket...?

Can I use a cherry bomb glasspack on the 2" exhaust?

Local Subaru Guru will do a Manual Swap for me with a new clutch all parts and labor for $500 good price?

Local Subaru Guru will do a Manual Swap for me with a new clutch all parts and labor for $500 good price?

You could have had a nice early 90's Legacy for what you are looking at spending on this thing.

Unless you have specific plans that necessitate the EA dual range transmission's then I would sell it and look for a 90-94 Legacy.

GD

Well - if you can get them cheap then do an EJ22 swap from a legacy. The biggest drawback to the EA82 chassis is the engine - underpowered, poor timing belt arrangement, etc. The 3AT transmission makes a good boat anchor so if you do plan to keep it then swapping it out would be an excellent idea. $500 sounds reasonable by US prices including all parts but then I never pay to have work done. Here I could do the entire job for half that including all parts. $150 for a used tranny, $75 for a new clutch, and another $25 for misc. parts like the pedal assembly.

GD

Don't bother with a cone filter, take the silencer out of the fender and call it good. I cut the very end of the pipe (you'll see what I mean when you take it out) that goes through the inner fender off of the snorkus and left it in place so that it's drawing in cool air from the fender well.

As for the brakes, sounds like your adjuster is rusted, get one from a junkyard or from Subaru and replace it. To adjust the brakes, with the rear of the car off the ground, turn the adjuster until the wheel locks, then back it off 1/2 turn. Your problem sounds like you might have a caliper hanging up, take the front calipers off and clean and lubricate the caliper slides with some synthetic brake grease. (Don't use regular grease, make sure it's disc brake caliper grease)

You can use an electric fan in place of the engine driven fan, there should be one electric fan already there, and you should be able to find an AC fan off of an older car (80-84 body style) that will fit. In your hot climate I would definitely use two fans.

Power steering leak - Replace the O-ring that is between the power steering reservoir and the pump

Cherry bomb - very doable however it will pop and crackle, which you may or may not like, if you don't, I'd go with a decent 2" muffler such as a Flowmaster or equivalent. Guy on here used to have an 87 wagon with a Flowmaster on it, sounded great.

Since you mention it has an engine driven fan, is it turbo? If I remember correctly, only the turbo AC cars had an engine driven fan...

If you can get a tranny swap done for that little...do it but try for a dual range its the same tranny swap but the tranny is much better. I agree with GD about the motor but run it for now considering you just did work to it. And I also agree with him about being able to do the tranny swap cheaper myself but thats a good price if you are having someone else do it. I also second bleeding the brakes. Good luck!

Since you mention it has an engine driven fan, is it turbo? If I remember correctly, only the turbo AC cars had an engine driven fan...

My 89GL wagon had an engine driven fan and an electric fan -- not turbo, but did have AC. For most of the last year I've actually been missing BOTH of the fans -- okay in a cooler climate, and I don't spend much time in traffic (and the AC doesn't work).

GD is right... the 1st gen legacy (at least the '93 and '94 ones -- '90 and '91 EJ22's kind of had issues) were a much more refined car, and better engine... however, I still like the dual range EA82's better myself for some reason. Better off road.

I took the mech fan, and a/c condenser off, and swapped in a EA81 a/c fan on a switch. I plan on wiring it back to the original setup, but I like the EA81 fan better.

Consider a dual core radiator.

I am also with the 2.2 swap. The EA82T engines are fun if ya take them for what they are, but inferior in many, many ways to the EJ series engines.

Any other things I should look out for? I mean any other wierd quirks (small hoses, sensors to replace?) Could you guys suggest how to replace the engine driven fan with an electric one? How do I wire it up? Also, is it worth keeping the AC system in it (it doesnt work) dont know what the problem is, it blows but doesnt get cold and I dont know how expensive it will be to fix. Plus getting rid of it makes working on the car easier. I am currently running a single belt for the fan, power stearing pump, ac comp. and the alternator, should I put the other belt back on?

Edited by Caramanos2000

Any other things I should look out for? I mean any other wierd quirks (small hoses, sensors to replace?)

We have given you the common failure items. Beyond that we aren't there and can't hold your hand. I sugest you do all the maintenance items mentioned and then start driving it. It's an old car - it cannot be made new again and it's going to do what it wants. It will jerk you around. It will frustrate you at times. You WILL have to repair things. Live with it.

Could you guys suggest how to replace the engine driven fan with an electric one? How do I wire it up?

If you have to ask you probably shouldn't be doing it. That's about as simple as automotive electrical gets. You have an existing electrical fan 12" away from where you would like to put another one..... it shouldn't be difficult for you to copy the example that you already have. It's also much better if you use the search function as that topic has been covered dozens of times and there is more information availible than you will ever get by asking as dozens of people have received dozens of different responses by skilled board members over many years.

Also, is it worth keeping the AC system in it (it doesnt work) dont know what the problem is, it blows but doesnt get cold and I dont know how expensive it will be to fix. Plus getting rid of it makes working on the car easier.

That's your call. Some people find it invaluable, other's don't care. It can be cheap to fix if you can work on refrigeration systems or know someone that can. It can be very expensive if you don't.

I am currently running a single belt for the fan, power stearing pump, ac comp. and the alternator, should I put the other belt back on?

If you like. It will run fine with just one. Remember to replace it when it's old and/or worn.

GD

If you are going to repair the AC (Which probably just needs to be recharged) I would recommend keeping the engine driven fan as it will do a better job of keeping the car cool with the AC running under load, climbing hills, etc...

Try and find a Haynes repair manual for your car, they are a big help when it comes to home repair and maintenance, but if it baffles you, I'd recommend taking it to a Subaru dealer or independent shop that specializes in Subarus.