Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timeing Belt Covers

I thought id ask this here. Theres been some talk for me to just leave the covers off my belts when i swap out the water pump. Now im all for doing easier work, but i still cant grasp how you dont get internal parts of the belt and pullys dirty buy leaving them off. It would seem that you would be more prone to failure if you left them off then on. Also on the subject, is ther a way to fasten them onto the vehicle without now leaving them off completely. Like zip tying them on or possibly RTV them in a couple of spots just so they stick there then when you want them off you can pry or just pop them off.

Ben

I thought about this too when I was putting her back together. I just figured how often do you really pull them off and so put them back on for the reasons you mentioned. Would Subaru have left them off if they didn't think you needed them? I think the guys that leave them off are probably monkeying with there engines a lot more than the average guy.

really if you're not out wheeling it everyday, you'll be fine with leaving the front covers off. I did that on my '87 RX for 15k miles and never once had an issue with getting stuff on the belts and pulleys. It also helps pinpoint tensioner and idler bearing noises as well. Do it, it makes life so much easier.

If you're going to be on nice clean paved roads all the time, it probably would be okay.

I just could never bring myself to do this because I would be terrified of the effects of even a small piece of debris getting caught in there. With all the crap that flies up into my engine bay driving here, I think it would be only a matter of time before something found its way into the wrong place and broke a belt.

If you're going to be on nice clean paved roads all the time, it probably would be okay.

I just could never bring myself to do this because I would be terrified of the effects of even a small piece of debris getting caught in there. With all the crap that flies up into my engine bay driving here, I think it would be only a matter of time before something found its way into the wrong place and broke a belt.

Well you live in the middle of nowhere and I I were you, I'd be afraid as well:-p I did a lot of driving in the wet, some snow wheeling and gave her some h3ll and never had an issue but of course, there isn't much nasty debris on the road here to be afraid of.

covers off FTW. If you leave your splash guards and skid plate on, and you stay out of the mud, you should be fine. It will make it much easier to do repairs in the future, redoing the belts will take 30min-1hr max, and a waterpump can be changed in 10 minutes, and the radiator doesnt have to be pulled anymore. You can change the belts and such if they break on the side of the road with basic tools and be back on the road in record time. I have no covers on my RX and on my Mom's GL wagon, and its been a welcome change with how often Ive been workin on that damn wagon lately.

-Bill

This has been a debate for many years here. If you search you will find about one post a month asking the same questions and bringing up the same concerns.

Points against:

1. Without the covers, debris can snap the belts. A dropped shop rag while the engine is running will snap them instantly.

2. Lack of protection from grit and weathering could shorten their life.

Points for:

1. They often break upon removal, are not easy to find in good used condition, and aren't cheap new.

2. Without the covers a belt replacement takes 15 minutes and requires only a 12mm deep socket and whatever your setup requires to remove the accessory belts. With the covers it's about 2 hours due to removing the covers and crank pulley - not to mention the extra tools required to do this.

3. The belts don't last very long anyway, and aren't particularly expensive to have an extra set on hand.

4. Oil and the acidifying gasses dissolved in it are not kind to rubber. Removing the covers allows dust, dirt, and oil to drain away and be cleaned off regularly.

5. The engine is non-interferance and thus will not be damaged in any way if (when) they break.

6. Without the covers, maintaining the proper tension on the belts is quite simple and it's easy to visually inspect the tension, wear, and listen to each of the tensioner and idler bearings for potential problems.

7. Any leaks on the front of the engine become trivial to diagnose. Without the covers you can easily see where leaks are eminating from - water pump, oil pump, front main and cam seals are all much more accisible.

8. Water pump replacement becomes much easier.

In summary I always point out that trading 15 minutes on a road-side repair vs. having to tow the vehicle and spending 2 hours doing it when they inevitably fail anyway is worthwhile IMO. I also feel that people who don't agree with that should probably not be driving an EA82 in the first place as it obviously won't meet their requirements for reliability. If you don't have the tools and knowledge to do a timing belt you should go buy something with a warantee and have roadside assistance added to your insurance.... and probably ask your mommy for your blanky.

GD

This has been a debate for many years here. If you search you will find about one post a month asking the same questions and bringing up the same concerns.

Points against:

1. Without the covers, debris can snap the belts. A dropped shop rag while the engine is running will snap them instantly.

2. Lack of protection from grit and weathering could shorten their life.

Points for:

1. They often break upon removal, are not easy to find in good used condition, and aren't cheap new.

2. Without the covers a belt replacement takes 15 minutes and requires only a 12mm deep socket and whatever your setup requires to remove the accessory belts. With the covers it's about 2 hours due to removing the covers and crank pulley - not to mention the extra tools required to do this.

3. The belts don't last very long anyway, and aren't particularly expensive to have an extra set on hand.

4. Oil and the acidifying gasses dissolved in it are not kind to rubber. Removing the covers allows dust, dirt, and oil to drain away and be cleaned off regularly.

5. The engine is non-interferance and thus will not be damaged in any way if (when) they break.

6. Without the covers, maintaining the proper tension on the belts is quite simple and it's easy to visually inspect the tension, wear, and listen to each of the tensioner and idler bearings for potential problems.

7. Any leaks on the front of the engine become trivial to diagnose. Without the covers you can easily see where leaks are eminating from - water pump, oil pump, front main and cam seals are all much more accisible.

8. Water pump replacement becomes much easier.

In summary I always point out that trading 15 minutes on a road-side repair vs. having to tow the vehicle and spending 2 hours doing it when they inevitably fail anyway is worthwhile IMO. I also feel that people who don't agree with that should probably not be driving an EA82 in the first place as it obviously won't meet their requirements for reliability. If you don't have the tools and knowledge to do a timing belt you should go buy something with a warantee and have roadside assistance added to your insurance.... and probably ask your mommy for your blanky.

GD

HEY my mommy makes nice blankeys;)