Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pics of the new(*to me) brat

That is a score! Once in a life time find!

All it needs is mirror's changed and a center cap.

Kinda like the Chrome mirrors meself... Didn't notice the cap missing though, to busy drooling over the rest of it I guess. I happen to have one of those if you want it, send me a PM if you do.

Also just noticed the gas cap, it be flat where most wheren't. Hmmm... Need to find a pic of one....

Kinda like the Chrome mirrors meself... Didn't notice the cap missing though, to busy drooling over the rest of it I guess. I happen to have one of those if you want it, send me a PM if you do.

Also just noticed the gas cap, it be flat where most wheren't. Hmmm... Need to find a pic of one....

My brat has the same style gas cap

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/TomRhere/82%20BRAT/?action=view&current=82BRATPSR.jpg

Bad angle, but you can see the gas cap. This is an old pic of my '82, and most pics I've seen of other '82's had simular gas caps.

Link to other pics, from baccaruda's sale ad. ea81gascapsai4.jpg

yeah i actually bought one from barracuda. I think.,...i'm not sure...but i think this style was a brat only thing.

thanks guys! shes in pretty amazing condition.I wont say I got it for cheap, as ive seen my share of >1000 brats, I def. got a good deal.ill try to post pics of the engine and interior in a little bit. aside from the requisite cracked dash, missing a/c vent grille, faulty dome light(probably just need a bulb), the interior is in like-new condition. the t-tops lil locker bars are pretty sticky. are t-tops and other interior parts(dash) hard to find? any info on fixing is greatly appreciated. also has a small leak on oil pan, probably junky gasket. is replacing the gasket straight-forward? do i have to pick-n-pull the gasket or is there a good place to find em online?

It looks like it's been well cared for but I'd suggest:

Oil and filter change.

Change transmission and rear diff oils.

Flush and replace antifreeze mixture.

New sparkplugs (use only NGK) and air filter.

Replace fuel filter (the one down by the fuel pump) and the fuel separator (looks like a fuel filter in the engine compartment).

I know this is all pretty routine, but if you don't know the history of past work, this pretty well starts you off without missing the obvious.

Find a copy of How to Keep your Subaru Alive so you can enjoy working on your new treasure.

thanks guys! shes in pretty amazing condition.I wont say I got it for cheap, as ive seen my share of >1000 brats, I def. got a good deal.ill try to post pics of the engine and interior in a little bit. aside from the requisite cracked dash, missing a/c vent grille, faulty dome light(probably just need a bulb), the interior is in like-new condition. the t-tops lil locker bars are pretty sticky. are t-tops and other interior parts(dash) hard to find? any info on fixing is greatly appreciated. also has a small leak on oil pan, probably junky gasket. is replacing the gasket straight-forward? do i have to pick-n-pull the gasket or is there a good place to find em online?

T-top locker hardware will clean up with WD-40.

T-tops show up on ebay all the time (I have a spare in my garage).

You can likely fix the oil pan leak by snugging up on the bolts with a phillips screwdriver. Do not over-tighten; that'll just make it worse. There's a trick to replacing the gasket by removing the oil pan without pulling or raising the engine. Check the USRM or do a search. I've done it but I've forgotten the trick.

I think the oil pan and valve cover gaskets are still a dealer item. Check with Jason in Parts at the former Auburn Subaru (Toll free: 1-866-528-5282). Good discounted prices and reasonable shipping.

The dash from an EA81 wagon will fit your Brat. Don't take that job on lightly. I've done it with Turbone's help on our Brat and it took the two of us close to 10 hours to do it. If you have a cracked windshield and you're planning on having it replaced, remove it, replace the dash and then install the new windshield. It'll save you some time. Once you replace the dash, give it a coat of armoral every now and then to keep it from cracking again.

No real trick for the oil pan. There are holes drilled in the engine crossmember in the right places to get at the back bolts/screws. You can fit a phillips screwdriver up the holes and remove all the back bolts. There is enough clearance to pull the pan without raising the engine.