Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Loyale won't shift into FWD

A friend has been calling me with questions about his car not shifting into FWD. I'm not familiar with the push button FWD selector system. He says when the switch is pressed there is a click from the firewall area but the FWD light on the dash dosen't come on and it dosen't go into FWD. Any things he could check? Keep in mind, although I am a mechanic, he is not.

So you are saying it's not going into "Four Wheel Drive"?

The "FWD" acronym is used to represent "Front Wheel Drive".

"4WD" is what his dash should indicate when the button is pressed. If it's not functioning then it's likely a vacuum hose problem as the system is vacuum operated. Look for any hoses disconnected around the firewall where the click is originating and follow the hoses back to the vacuum accumulator and the manifold. Check for damaged hoses.

GD

Morti

you could switch the hoses coming out ot the solenoids

it should them change from FWD to 4WD.

That will isolate your problem to the diaphragm/cable/lever

or

to the switch and it's power source.

+1

That's what I did with my buddies GL10 wagon just switch them hoses up and your good to go!!

Jeff

Morti

you could switch the hoses coming out ot the solenoids

it should them change from FWD to 4WD.

That will isolate your problem to the diaphragm/cable/lever

or

to the switch and it's power source.

+2

to illustrate the description. this is on my loyale, before I had the solenoids wired up.

stock:

PICT2412.jpg

bypassed:

PICT2411.jpg

to the OP. hearing the click up by the firewall, sounds like the solenoids are working. there's a vacuum hose that goes from the 2 solenoids (located behind the driver's side strut tower, near the windshield wiper motor). across the firewall, and should be hooked to a vacuum source on the engine. I suspect this has come loose.

does the HVAC control work? i.e. no matter what button pressed, the heat comes out the center vents, not defrost or heat. these are vacuum operated as well, and will be "T"d into the same source over on the passenger side.

Edited by Numbchux