Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brown Beast: Time for AWD

OK guys... most know my car:

CIMG3663.JPG

It currently has a ej22, 5spd d/r, and a welded rear diff. Great combo for offroad.

For daily driving, its getting tiresome spinning my front tires in the wet, so I've decided to make it AWD... I kept going back and forth between EJ AWD, or RX AWD. RX won, because i'd like to keep the diff lock/dual range.

I'll be picking up Caboobaroo's RX tranny, and Noahdl88's LSD rear end... but I don't think thats all the pieces I'll need.

As I understand it, I will need Turbo front axles, to match the splines on the RX tranny. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I also need to know if my driveline will work, or if I need to find another one.

Honestly I am thinking of going to 4.11 Legacy trans and losing LO. I dont think its absolutely necessary with the 2.2 to have a lo range and the 4.11 will help offset the loss a little.

I had RX FT 3.7 with LSD rear for a while. Now mine is PT 5spd D/R and I would agree its too much but in my case its too much for the front axles.

I will also be able to ditch the adapter plate, inferior clutch and the drilled out flywheel. Unfortunately I will need a different custom driveshaft again I think.

Honestly I am thinking of going to 4.11 Legacy trans and losing LO. I dont think its absolutely necessary with the 2.2 to have a lo range and the 4.11 will help offset the loss a little.

I had RX FT 3.7 with LSD rear for a while. Now mine is PT 5spd D/R and I would agree its too much but in my case its too much for the front axles.

I will also be able to ditch the adapter plate, inferior clutch and the drilled out flywheel. Unfortunately I will need a different custom driveshaft again I think.

Shawn if you are gonna ditch the redrilled flywheel I will buy it off you if its in decent shape.

-Bill

you need turbo axles, or swap in some doj's........same driveline though.(andy said so)as he cacckles sitting next to me.....

whatcha doin with your d/r?:)i sure could use one that i know is in good condition..cheers, brian

I'll just get new axles, seems easier for me. I'm not too good at putting the DOJ's back together.

5spd d/r is in decent shape. I noticed when I changed my last axle (passenger front) that the stub had a bit of slop in it (up and down). I think with the 2.2 and fairly aggressive driving, i've worn it pretty good. I get some vibration/shaking from it (the axle stub/axle), and its the main reason I want to trade it out. But, once its out i'll sell it, probably not for much because of the stub issue. I'll PM you. As for putting a transfer case behind it and all that jazz, it should hold up just great.

I was thinking the same thing, however the RX stuff kinda just fell in my lap for decent prices... Which makes me being able to do something at all possible. The prices of those EJ transmissions fluctuates a lot around here, and sometimes they can be hard to find. Plus, moving to EJ means a lot more stuff, over a new EA.

EA:

Trans, Axles, Matching Diff

EJ:

Trans, Clutch, Flywheel, Driveshaft, Matching Diff, Axles

Some of that stuff can get pretty $$$, atleast for someone on a budget that basically requires me to sell a car that I love.

I've broken a handful of axles on the front, and my last set of swampers got worn down pretty quick.

Along with the AWD change, i'm probably going to pick up another set of wheels/tires that are more daily driving friendly.

FYI, the RX hi/lo shifter rod is longer. a PT4WD one will work fine, but the shifter will be angled up at a pretty steep angle.

I cut mine in half, cut threads into it, and put ~1" of threaded rod in the middle...and now it's back to "normal"

as mentioned, driveshaft is identical.

you'll need to wire up the diff lock solenoids, but that's not difficult.

i have an RX trans and LSD in my lifted 2.2l wagon.

i have pulled the 3.9 D/R apart and it looks like the low gear could be swaped out and put into the RX box fairly easy. i will be trying it soon.

you will love having AWD. it makes takeing off from stops, so much easier.

-=Suberdave=-

What about puttihg the center lockable diff adn rear output from an RX tranny onto the 3.9?

Thats been my dream...

No dude, what you want is the 3.9 low range in the RX tranny, but swap a 3.9 center diff in there and put the locker on that. The RX tranny has closer ratio gears which are actually lower than the gears in the 3.9 D/R. If you were gonna get crazy try to put a 4.11 or 4.44 diff set in there with the locker and the RX 5 speed gearset with the low low range gearset from the standard D/R, with a matching 4.11 or 4.44 rear LSD. That is my dream tranny :slobber:

-Bill

I already have a car with close ratio gears and 4.11's. I get tired of shifting. But its quick as piss.

The reason I want the 3.9 d/r AWD is because it wouldn't change how the car drives, it would just add AWD so it would put the power to the ground a bit better.

I already have a car with close ratio gears and 4.11's. I get tired of shifting. But its quick as piss.

The reason I want the 3.9 d/r AWD is because it wouldn't change how the car drives, it would just add AWD so it would put the power to the ground a bit better.

the FT4WD pinion gear is unique. and the pinion must match the center diff....you could put a 3.9 pinion from an EJ car with it's center diff on the back of a FT4WD trans, but then you'd loose the locker. and the 1-5 gears would be different....defeating the point.

in fact, if I'm not mistaken. the PT4WD driven shaft and pinion shaft are one piece. not a shaft-in-shaft like FT4WD/AWD. so I don't think you can even separate it.

Tex, the drivelines for all EA 5-speeds are the same, however the FT drivelines have an extra vibration insulation in them according to my FSM. Lengths and everything are the same, I used one from a '86 PB4wd wagon long ago. I also have the shift linkages and since they're special to the RX box, I need the set you pull from your wagon to make the ones for my RX:)

Then just swap to turbo front axles and you'll be golden:banana:

Meh, too much work.

3.7 will work fine for me.

Caboobaroo... Its your car, but I REALLY think you should use a EJ shift linkage, I'll help you find one even. But either way, I'll pull another set of EA linkage from the junkyard.

well I was going to take the EA shift linkages and weld the EJ stuff to the ends of them so they bolt up to the tranny and to the tranny tunnel.

well I was going to take the EA shift linkages and weld the EJ stuff to the ends of them so they bolt up to the tranny and to the tranny tunnel.

The EA stuff is the same. its just longer...

if you need i have a EJ shifter you can have. its from the 3dr i built. i used an EA linkage just shortened it.

-=Suberdave=-

I kind of like the angle because it makes it easier to grab the shifter real quick.. like when I want to shift from 2LO to 3HI really fast.

yea, it was nice. but I ran into problems....4th low was not an option, as the 2 shifters hit each other. might have to do with the slop in the shifter and I'm using an '85 "banana" 4WD shifter.