Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help me

So i have a carbed EA82 in an 85 GL wagon, and i cannot for the life of me, get it to start. the engine turns but it wont catch. i went out and bought new spark plug wires and replaced them, because it still had the originals, but that didn't help. so if someone could guide me through a troubleshooting course, i would be very grateful. i cant take it to a mechanic due to financial issues, and i need the car to run, because i need a car, and im starting to go into withdraws because i havent been able to take it anywhere in a month. so if someone would help me i would really appreciate it.

HELP

Thank you

Could use alittle more info..did it run?? How long has it been since it was running?? Did you go out one day and it just didnt start?

Have you checked for spark? Is it getting gas to the carb? Have you checked to make surt the ditsy is turning...When was the timing belts done last?

Thats a start for us...there are only a few reasons it wont start..so if we cover the basics first..we can go from there

need three things to run - fuel, air, and spark

well - four things i guess - also need timing belts to be in good condition. :rolleyes:

step one - verify that timing belts are good - not broken, loose, etc. the timing covers are 3 pieces - the outer covers (left & right sides) can easily be removed to check the belts.

step two - verify that it is getting fuel to the carb.

step three - verify that there is good spark - yeah, new plug wires are a good thing, but what about the rest of the ignition system - distributor cap, rotor, plugs, etc....

i havent been able to take it anywhere in a month.

Why?? what happened? what is the reason it has been sitting for a month? we could use the info to help diagnose...

Sorry about that. It was going ok, and then it started to get jerky, and the tachometer was spiking like crazy. and it slowly got worse. as this was happening, it wouldnt accelerate very well, like the timing was off. but i checked the alignment on the belts and it was fine. so when i got back to my house, i turned it off, and tried to start it up again, and it wouldnt start.

Something else is when i replaced the wires, i wasent thinking and took them all off. :banghead: i found a diagram to which wire went where but i think the distributor might be off now.

I replaced the timing belts in october, the ditsy does turn, and i will check the carburetor

Oh yeah, i took it offroading a bit before this started to happen. didnt do anything stupid though

Edited by Markus56

That Subie Behaviour, remembered me the Problems I Got some time ago with my 1985 EA82 Wagon... it Started acting the Same, and it was the Hitachi Carburetor... it seems like it "Swallowed" Dirty that was sticky on the Gas Tank, sometimes with rude Driving Conditions (Like Off-Roading) Sticky dirt from the Tank moves to the Carb and then the car Starts Acting like That.

I Suggest to Clean that Carb too... Just in Case...

Good Look! :burnout:

so now i have to drain the gas tank??

and the additives were mixed into 7/8ths of a tank of gas

and now that im thinking about it this car has a lot of problems

The radiator reservoir has overflowed twice in 3 days

the fuel mixture was rich

there is a vacuum leak in the carb which i jerryrigged by upping the idle control

Edited by Markus56

No, I Don`t Suggest to Drain the Gas Tank, I Just Suggest to make a Li`l Test, to be Sure that it is not the Cause of the Problem.

The Test: Bypass the Gasoline from the Fuel Tank, Try to Start your Subie with other Source of Gas. How? ...

Well... I Did that long time ago, to Test a similar problem; I Disconnected -removed- the Electric Fuel Pump`s Fuse and Disconnected -Removed- the Gasoline Hose that comes from the Tank to the Carb, and Carefully used a 5/16" Screw to cap it, to prevent fuel Leakage.

Then, I Used an Old, empty Plastic Gallon Container -it was from Coolant- That I Washed Clean, then Pour some fresh Gasoline in it, (Around a Liter or so) then I Opened a Tight Hole in its Cap, just to make a 5/16" Fuel Line Hose to fit Tight, it was about two Feet Long.

Closed the Gasoline Plastic Gallon with the Cap Already with the Hose out, Sealed it with Duct Tape all Around and Connected the Hose`s Open end to the Carb`s inlet.

Then I inverted the Gallon Upside Down and Opened a Hole it that Plastic Gallon`s Base (Now at the Upside) to make an Air Entrance... that Allows the Gasoline to Flow from that Plastic Gallon to the Carb... a Friend of mine did Hold that Plastic Gallon Up above the Carb, and Then I Tried to Start the Engine...

After four or Five Attempts, it did Started, with very Rough Idle... after a Minute or So it iniciate to smooth the Idle...

In that case, the car had some Naphthalene Balls pour on a Low Gas Tank... That`s Was the Problem`s origin... so we Not Only Drained the Gas Tank, Also we Washed clean it too.

You can try to do Something similar, but First check for other Sources that Might be Causing this, Like a Vacuum Leak at the Carb.

Good Luck! :burnout: