Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to hotwire an '85

So I lost my keys to my '85 gl wagon and figured it would be more expensive and troublesome to re-key it than it may be worth, and if I can just rub two wires together to fire it up, why not. Anyone know which two wires would do the trick?

(And no, I am not a car thief, even though it might appear that way)

if your car's VIN is in the dealer database, and if you bring proof of ownership, the dealership will cut you the smoothest-working key you've ever had for an old Subaru.

I wish my ignition still worked good. I can put any subaru key in my Brat and start it right up! It's a little worn out. It does have almost 260,000 miles on it though!

The easiest/ghetto way is to take a pair of channel locks and pull of the chrome ring around the lock set. The whole unit will come out now and you will be able to unlock the steering as well.

Otherwise, just get the number of the inside of the passenger door lock and get a new key made.

I also suggest everyone that owns a EA82 car to have a fuel cutoff switch installed ;)

find someone else with a subaru and borrow their spare, i would almost bet it will work, i do it all the time at work.

Also Some Keys from the 80`s and 90`s Nissan`s Should fit there too...

I Went to a Locksmith to Obtain New Keys for my Subies, he Took the Back Door`s Lock out (The Less Used Key, due to the Remote electric Lockin` mechanism) and made one New Key followin` its Config, the new Key Works like Brand New in All Doors & Starter Switch...

Maybe it is a Good Idea for you...

Good Luck! :burnout: