Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What years 5MT came with rear LSD?

I had a 2000 Forester S Premium

it came with LSD but it was an auto,

I don't know the ratio of the rear diff.

i'm pretty sure of this info for legacys and foresters, but not 101%. so please comment. imprezas should be similar.

if you have a 2.5L auto it's a 4.44 rear diff

if you have a 2.5 manual, or a 2.2 auto (95-00) you have a 4.11 rear diff.

if you have a 2.2 manual (95-00?) you have a 3.9 rear diff. (except, 96 2.2L manual outback, it has the 4.11 rear diff. -edited 1/9/09)

some time around 01, lsd's were optional on outbacks, manual and autos, a couple of years later, lsd's were standard on outbacks. they are often referred to as 'locking'.

the housings for the rear diffs (95 - 05 probably 09?) are all interchangeable, find an lsd from an '03 and bolt it in. granted it will be a viscous lsd, but what kind of diff are you driving now. you can confirm the lsd outback year at www.cars101.com .

i can feel the supply of lsd's shrinking as i write this.

have fun.

Edited by johnceggleston

If your looking onto the Forester, any 2000 - 2008 non-turbo 5mt S, XS or premium came with a rear LSD with the final drive of 4.111.

Those same models with an automatic had a rear LSD with a final drive of 4.44. Also all 2004-2008 turbo's used the 4.44 rear whether automatic or 5mt.

If your looking onto the Forester, any 2000 - 2008 non-turbo 5mt S, XS or premium came with a rear LSD with the final drive of 4.111.

Those same models with an automatic had a rear LSD with a final drive of 4.44. Also all 2004-2008 turbo's used the 4.44 rear whether automatic or 5mt.

Mine is a 2008 2.5X Sports, does that mean it has an LSD? It doesn't feel like it...

The X sport base does NOT have a rear LSD. According to the specs the X sport base also doesn't have the all weather package ( heated seats, heated front windshield, outside heated mirrors ). On the Forester they usually packaged the Rear LSD with the all weather package.

The X sport base does NOT have a rear LSD. According to the specs the X sport base also doesn't have the all weather package ( heated seats, heated front windshield, outside heated mirrors ). On the Forester they usually packaged the Rear LSD with the all weather package.

Mine does have the heated mirrors, but not the windshield or seats.