Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suby Newby with a couple questions.

I done a write up on my 2ws 4dr sedan 4wd conversion http://offroadingsubarus.com/83sedan_4wd.html

Because yours is an auto you won't have to cut like I did. But the rest of it applies.

Of cause, there is the EA82 coupe, which may be confused with a hatch.

Subaru Hatch (EA81) looks like This (Link)

Subaru Coupe (EA82) looks like This (L:nk)

Mine is definitely the EA82 coupe It is not as ugly with the wing and lights, is there a factory wing that I can find at u-pull it? or is that something aftermarket?

That wing is RX specific.

The RX Coupe is like the granddaddy of the WRX, it is Full-Time 4wd (AWD), Dual Range Hi/lo gears, 5 speed, with center diff lock and rear Limited Slip differential. Had a Turbocharged 1.8L EA82 powerplant, and a special trim package and body kit that incudes firmer, bolstered seats inside, the lower body kit and front valance, and the wing. Also came with a stiffer, "sportier" suspension package including rear anti-sway bar. Fog Lights were optional.

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive

Subarus are like legos everything swaps. This would be easier with pics :grin: Sounds like you have a ea82 subaru rx with the 1.8. You didnt mention if it had 4wd, or if it was a 5 speed. All these things matter. We can drop the front of your car 2 inches buy swaping in xt springs and struts. Lots of threads on ways to modify these cars. And yes you can swap those parts in your car, just finding the parts might not be so easy.:)

I am in the proses of tubing out my Jeep Comanche. That is my wheeler. So is my subie the 1.6 or the 1.8? And can I really expect 30mpg out of that thing? it is not a justy.

It's the EA82 1.8 liter.

You might... the automatic transmission will hamper it, but in the 4x4 wagons, I typically get around 29 to 31mph highway, and 26 to 28mpg around town. I'd expect a 2wd coupe to get a few points higher. Except for that 3AT....

:confused:Ok so I drove it around town today for the first time since I put a new to me tranny in it. I have noticed some new issues. It hesitates in the lower rpms in first gear. It is shifting kind of rough and it waits a while. There are also some electrical gremlins that I need to figure out. For some reason the fan has been mickey moused to a constant power source, and it has just stopped blowing out of the defrost. No matter what setting I put it to it blows out the vents. Also the running lights don't turn off unless I pull a battery cable off. :confused:

Like I said, I have been a jeep person my whole life so any advice would be really appreciated.

Ok, it is a 2wd auto, I believe a three speed because it has 1, 2, and then D.

Edited by 87jewbaru

On the parking lights -- there is a little switch on top of the steering column that turns those off.

On the blower only coming out the middle vents -- those are vacuum controlled doors -- if the vacuum line comes off inside the engine compartment, it won't switch out of the default position. There is a little white container up by the passenger bulkhead in the engine compartment, with vacuum lines going to it -- check that they are still going to it. If yes, then it might be somewhere else, but it's fairly easy to knock something off when working in the engine compartment, and you lose control of the blower direction...

On the hesitation, I'm not sure if that's a tranny thing or an engine thing. If engine, you might need to clean the MAF, and also check the cap and rotor. Mine was hesitating a bit, and I checked the rotor, and it was quite burnt. Oops. Hadn't changed it since I bought it.

I've found that you can swap almost anything into these cars. I also, have a '87 GL coupe but mine was an atuo FWD with a blown SPFI EA82 1.8 in it. I swapped in the RX tranny, rear LSD, turbo engine crossmember, complete 5x100 lug conversion (found here) and a few other mods after I got it back on the road.

I'm now in the process of swapping a 2.2 turbo from a '93 Legacy into it, matching 5-speed, 3.9 VLSD and a lot more:banana:

Can't really help on the tranny since I hate the 3ATs but the engine is another story. Make sure the cap rotor, plugs and wires are in good condition. Check the fuel filter and replace if need be. If you're not sure when anything was replaced and they all look like they have some wear and tear on them, then it might be worth the little bit of cash to do that, along with the oil change:)

And just for your pleasure, the only one on the board that has a "not quite a RX" RX

2010840970067339125S500x500Q85.jpg

Are the front fenders and bumper the same as on the wagon? I have some body work in my future. Oh, got the lights, found and fixed the vacume THANX!!!:banana::banana: On to another gremlin with the fan. There is a green wire that comes from a loom that goes to the blower. it has been cut and hooked to the constant power for the radio. I hooked the wire back up and low and behold, no fan. I checked the fuse and it is good. I will check on the cap and rotor tomorrow, the wires and plugs look brand new. How much oil does it take?

Bumper is the same for wagon/sedan/coupe but the fenders are coupe specific because the A-pillar next to the windshield have a slightly different profile on them.

Should take like 4.2 quarts of oil. I usually put 4.5 just because they do tend to leak a bit but make sure to watch the oil level once and awhile.

What Vancouver are you in? I have a black front bumper from a '89 RX sitting here....

we have an 88 coupe, bone stock w'pushbutton auto, only "upgrade" (so far) = 14" pugs - gotta love them. we have the body kit from the RX but not on the car yet...

here's a pic from a couple years ago, playin in the spring mud - actually, we were trying to move a parts car that had been sitting for a long time...

th_mudlft.jpg

And just for your pleasure, the only one on the board that has a "not quite a RX" RX

2010840970067339125S500x500Q85.jpg

looks like you took an '87 or newer rx 3door, installed early style front bumper, removed body kit and spoiler, painted body, 5 lug conversion, and no mudflaps

sure is a lot of work to make a "not quite a RX" RX

rx.jpg

Well this weekend I got alot done on the jewbaru!! :banana::banana: Igot the exhaust welded up, welded a crack on the y pipe. realized that I need to replace the gaskets on the "headers" BTW those things are kinda cool how it's set up, what are they called???? :confused: And I cleaned my MAF sensor, I still have a hesitation when I first start. But only if i don't give it alot of gas. Is it normal to be running at 3500 rpm on the freeway? My tranny came out of a 89 ea82 wagon. I hear it go from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. The two trannys looked identical, could it have been a 4spd that i got?