Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy Flippin Flappel its Cold

Ben - first thing, get the battery out of the van and brought in somewhere halfway warm and get it fully charged!! extreme cold WILL kill a battery.

it is very cold here as well - around -17F give or take - wind chills around -35...no fun, and I feel for anyone that has to be out in it. so cold that they have cancelled school!

If it got discharged, then sat out in the cold, it's probably full of ice.... so it's toast. In that case, it probably won't show a voltage at all, especially under any load. And with the jumpers hooked up to the other car, it might show full voltage of the other battery, because it isn't drawing any current. Do some voltage measurements first.... then you know yourself whether it's good or toast.

i dont have a volt meter

something i do which is not smart. but i take the positive and negative when hooked up to the battery and tap them together to make sure ive got something. When i did it to the van. Nothing.

They start at about $4 at Harbor freight. The cheap ones do tend to become inaccurate if their battery gets low, but other than that, they work okay. Enough for some basic diagnostics, at least. I wouldn't use a cheap one for research grade work...

If you didn't get a big spark... then it's probably somewhere between kind of dead and pretty dead :-\

ben- if the battery was discharged on these cold nights, then the battery is in fact going to be ruined. the water in them, without a charge, will freeze, and that actually ruins the cells in the battery. It will bulge the sides of the case to the battery, a bulged case means it froze at some point, and is no good, except for a core charge for a new replacement battery.

A charged battery, left in the cold, will not freeze, and the charged ions keep it warm enough not to freeze.

In the future, if you have a drained battery, and it gets to sub zero temperatures, then remove the battery from the vehicle, bring into the house. that saves it and can be charged up with a charger. but once it has froze, its toast, dead, no life, forever done for...

anyhow.....

VROOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM Strange thing it started up when i went to attack it (Violet knows better not to mess with me). I went and had it tested on the car anyways. Not fully dead but pretty much there. 4 year old Factory battery with only 500 cold cranking amps. Pretty lame. So tomorrow its getting replaced with a brand new DieHard. I wanted to go interstate but ive got sears gift cards so to easy to get a good battery for next to nothing. I think there like 695-795 cold cranking amps. Mmmmmmmmmmm Power.

Also, this is kinda stupid but has anyone ever put house insalation in the door pannels and roof to quiet down there cars and maybe keep some heat inside of them.

I've done it before. I used the mylar backed insulation that almost looks like bubble wrap. I used it on my wife's old Dodge Stratus when we owned it because the car sat out in direct sunlight for the better part of the day(8-9 hrs.) After installing it above the headliner and also the doors and floor boards, the change in temps was very dramatic, especially when a sun visor was used. I might also add, that this particular car also had tinted windows(35% front/ 20% rear). It(the insulation, not window tint) also works quite well for wrapping intercooler piping.:brow:

Patrick