Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me save my GL!

Okay well, First things first.

Car was stranded about a month ago 20 minutes from my house, it would not idle ran like crap and felt like you were driving a rolling brick. Then it still wouldnt move anywhere but would idle alot better....after fixing a massive vacumm leak.

Come up a couple of days later to get down to the problem.

Car turns right on.....

Heats up.....

And im just driving like a mad man for about 10 minutes, Car was running great!

then i get on the highway, Its chugging like a Train, Using the throttle becomes and artform.

I needed gas so i thought id be nice and give the girl some premium (OCT 91)

The car drives absolutly fantastic for about a month and a half but slightly lean/ hesitates past 110 km/h i continue to put 91 in.

Then bang Car is chuggiiiinnnng Horribly, like sometimes it wont get past 10km/h. If your really hard on it which i hate doing you can get it to 50km/h but its painful and dosent solve my problem.

I came to the conclusion it was timing, concinved myself it just has to be.

SO i timed the car using detailed instructions. Seems fine for about 5 minutes, then there it is again. That not the worst thing, it stalls, floods and just dosent run worth a ************.

But.... The car idles like a top! Deap 1000 rpms with a slight rpm twitter ( ice had this twitter since getting the car when it ran great replaced the Disty with a new one since then)

It does have a very bad exhaust leak and chopped exhaust...Dont think that will change anything other than a little bit of choppyness.

Okay conclusion, Car fires right up in the morning, idles good will occasionly die weirdly when its not even that cold, i can watch the car die and then start itslef for like 30 seconds, stalls with clutch in coming to a stop. Cuts out like a mofo, wont go past 20km/h

Is this timing or a Failed carb, i need an answer quick please guys!

wow!!!

this is almost EXACTLY what I went through

RESTRICTED FUEL SYSTEM

for a temporary fix, ran a hose in metal 5 gallon can down to pump, and it worked good enough to find a "new" fuel tank about a month later

old tank was terribly rusted and sludged up, plugged in tank pickup, plugged pump inlet screen, plugged fuel filters

only saving factor is that the car was equipped with turbo engine, and when I bought it, swapped in carb'd ea81, but if it were the ea82t it would have been

bad news!!!

what happens is the restricted system is able to supply ONLY enough fuel to keep the bowl full @ idle due to low demand, but above approx 20 mph the load is too much for the trickle of fuel to keep up with, and you have to wait until the bowl is full, hence being able to accelerate quickly to about 40 mph then run out of steem

Wow it sounds like this is my problem.

So where do i go from here, i know first thing first is replace fuel filter.

Then where are these other filters yiu speak of? Is this fuel tank easy to acces say like my 94 T leg, right in the trunk lift it out and inspect? Could my pump be bad aswell? what is this going to cost me? Are these repairs easy? Is there a diagram laying around to help me?

Thanks for the help, i think you hit the nail on the head and may save me car.

Well... the Fuel Filter in Loyales is just One, and is Located Down, Under the Car, Behind the Electric Fuel Pump and Nearby the Tank & Passenger`s Rear Wheel...

if you Check the Tank & Fuel Lines and then everythin` seems to be Fine, your Subie Might have a Carburetor Failure... My 1985 EA82 had the SAME Behaviour than yours with the Aged Craptachi Carb... Then I Swaped There a Weber and the Subie Runs Great! ... Plus more Powerful, Loud and Simplier! :brow:

Good Luck!

Well... the Fuel Filter in Loyales is just One, and is Located Down, Under the Car, Behind the Electric Fuel Pump and Nearby the Tank & Passenger`s Rear Wheel...

if you Check the Tank & Fuel Lines and then everythin` seems to be Fine, your Subie Might have a Carburetor Failure... My 1985 EA82 had the SAME Behaviour than yours with the Aged Craptachi Carb... Then I Swaped There a Weber and the Subie Runs Great! ... Plus more Powerful, Loud and Simplier! :brow:

Good Luck!

I think id like to source weber carb aswell, is it easy to do, say a one day job? how much? where to buy?

First, get a repair manual. But for now;

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c15280067039

The float is just part of a valve (float + needle and seat)that lets fuel into the carb.

Take the carb off the car before you take it apart, and if you can, take as many pictures of it during the dissasembly so if you get stuck when putting it back together, you'll know what it's suppossed to look like.

I come from the world of EJ22's, so what the heck is a float? Also should i just take off my carb for now and clean it?

Wow, now that will make you feel old eh? (hehe)

Since your disty is new then, like the others have said, fuel is the likely culprit.

Good Luck, I hope you figure it out, it's a nice looking car!!

Will-

best thing to do to determine quality of fuel tank on "gen 3" is to remove sending unit accessible after pulling back trunk carpet, remove metal cover plate held down by glue, remove 5 nuts, and disconnect wire connector which may be hidden, so feel around for it

once the sending unit is removed, look at it, should be clean, then look in the tank, also should be clean, then use small prybar to try and scrape the bottom of the tank to check for sediment

in my case, sending unit had buildup of crud, thick layer, and nice mound of crud was in tank after using prybar to scrape some together :eek:

after removing tank and looking through fill tube hole, :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

fuel pump inlet screen was plugged, and fuel filter was full of crud :banghead:

Wow, so by the time i went to 20 stores to find a fuel filter NO ONE had one, SO buy the time, it was too late and got nothing done, I phoned to NAPA 20 mins away, they saud they had it, went to get it AND IT WAS THE WRONG ONE, WHY DO THEY HIRE INCOMPETENT EMPLOYEES WHO GIVE THE WRONG INFO! not happy to say the least, i guess anther day, another battle

Wow, so by the time i went to 20 stores to find a fuel filter NO ONE had one, SO buy the time, it was too late and got nothing done, I phoned to NAPA 20 mins away, they saud they had it, went to get it AND IT WAS THE WRONG ONE, WHY DO THEY HIRE INCOMPETENT EMPLOYEES WHO GIVE THE WRONG INFO! not happy to say the least, i guess anther day, another battle

Get used to it, it's a common problem with Subarus, it's because of the overlap of the generations(ea81,ea82). Best bet is to get on Napa or other parts stores website and look up the part yourself, then call them with the part number, they love that!

Get used to it, it's a common problem with Subarus, it's because of the overlap of the generations(ea81,ea82). Best bet is to get on Napa or other parts stores website and look up the part yourself, then call them with the part number, they love that!

Thanks, usually they should make it easy for me, but i got to make it easy for them....what a world.

For things like that tell them its a brat. It eases the confusion for ea81s.

+1 for cutting the filter up

91oct has more cleaners in it, that might have freed some gunk.

Bow Wow auto parts or Autovice carries the weber too, for a price check. They beat Napa quite a bit of the time.