Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tinting tail lights?

I'd probably go with gloss black.

I've used the fusion paint a lot, and the first coat does mimick tint quite well when sprayed on light colored surfaces, but the paint would act differently than tint, I think, worst case scenario you sand it off and buff the lens, or a quick scrub with lacquer thinner and a rag.

A thin coat of paint might not be all that durable though, maybe clear coat on top?

Regular window tint will not work in this application. 2 reasons for that.

1) the tight radii of the lens covers means that the film will have to be heat shrunk a LOT and that risks scorching.

2) the adhesive used on standard window tint does not adhere well at all to plastic surfaces. This WILL eventually lead to bubbling, discoloration and peeling.

There IS a film made specifically for light covers. You might try tintedtails.com. they can pre-cut a piece of appropriate tint for you.

Years ago I tried various methods of tinting tail lights and the best results I had were with Rustoleium Gloss black. Apply a couple of coats and then use some rubbing compound and rub the s#it out of it until you get the right thickness and shine you want. Just make they are bright enough for day time use as they wont look good in a million pieces on the road.

What is the Reason to Tinting the Tail Lights? ... I Have seen Some Cars with Obscure Tail Lights or with a Dark Plastic Cover, and I Believe it could make `em more Unsafe to Drive, if your Car Doesn`t have a Third Light for Brakes...

Here I see the Opposite Too Often: People Swap Clear Lenses` Tail Lights and use Coloured Bulbs (sometimes even Led Bulbs in RED / Yellow \ White colour) like This:

Cleartaillights.jpg?t=1232413152

Talk about mixed messages lol. I do have some lights from another car around here somewhere maybe give it a try. I know the lights will shine through just not sure about the colors :confused: The spray tint works great, many people with 350z do it but it isnt available in Puerto Rico. Also, I do have a third brake light :banana:

There is a spray tint on the market..I am not sure what its called ..but hatchsub did his tail lights on his sedan with really nice results. I have toyed with doing it to my 08 Imp..but now I am used to the clear tails .

I would be very interested in what the end result looks like.. hatchsub, got any pics?