Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need info on a suby gl 10 turbo

No we dont know what youve done to your car already. LOL kidding. Lots of info on here. I can tell you off the bat (because ive got spare time). The 1.8 gl turbos are finikey. They like to be run cool. If they overheat you run into all kinds of problems. Keep your cooling system at perfection level and you shouldnt have any problems. You might have disc brakes and a LSD on your car which are very desirable and awsome to have. If you have a working digital dash your good to go. Posting what year gl10 you have helps also. What we all tend to agree with here is if you dont have pictures of your new ride its pretty much worthless to uss, we need more juju to drool over:slobber:. Tuneups, stick to alot of oem stuff for the most part, these cars like them better. NGK wires and plugs, Oem T-stats, Make sure to replace your timeing belts because they tend to fail, but its a non interface engine so if they do your engine wont be ruined. Have i covered everything fellas.

Well... Welcome! :)

Try to Upload here Pictures of your Subie. :D

if it is a New Ride for You, I Suggest you to Ask to the Previous Owner the Date / Mileage when Timin` Belts was Changed, if he / She Doesn`t Know, then you must Change `em along their Tensioneers` Ball Bearings.

Also Change all the Fluids: Engine Oil, Gearbox Oil, Radiator Coolant, Poweer Steerin` and Brakes... Choose the Better you can.

Good Luck!

Hopefully someone already swapped the air-struts for regulars. If they haven't then you'll have to do that. The air-stut systems were garbage and all of them failed in short order. Just as your's surely has or did. Thus the flashing light.

The EA82T is not known for it's reliablility - they have issues with overheating, holding head gaskets, and cracking heads. If you keep up on the maintenance they aren't too bad for a seasoned Subaru enthusiast (know's the warning signs, pitfalls, preventative maintenance, and has maintained/modded them) - alas most people's introduction to the woe's of the EA82T is when something breaks - usually with bad results. There are comparitively few of them still on the road when you consider the numbers of EA82's still out there. Most are non-turbo for reasons that you will learn about if you keep it and stick around here.

If you intend to keep it on the road you are best served by doing a major maintenance interval as soon as possible - timing belts/tensioners/idler, front seals, oil pump, water pump, accesory belts and ALL the cooling system hoses. Replacing the radiator with a two-row would be an excelent idea.

The rule with the EA82T's - first time it overheats is the last time until you pull the heads. :lol:

As far as modding them - just don't. It's a money pit that's better read about in prior threads on this board than experienced first hand. If you want more power get a non-turbo EJ22. If you want a turbo you can mod get a used EJ22T or a WRX front clip. It will cost less and make more power with no mods than the EA82T will ever make.

GD

• 1 month later...

as far as modding them - just don't. It's a money pit that's better read about in prior threads on this board than experienced first hand. If you want more power get a non-turbo ej22. If you want a turbo you can mod get a used ej22t or a wrx front clip. It will cost less and make more power with no mods than the ea82t will ever make.

Gd

+1000000000000000............

I knew I forgot something! Its an '89 and its runnin fine! I haven't done anything yet, just tryin to get some background info on it. I'm new to subys as it were, heh

Hi,

What's the mileage on this car?

Wagon, Sedan? Transmission?

Your car has a water and oil cooled turbo. One mod that's very effective is to intercool it.

A car this age typically needs "all" the rubber hoses replaced under hood. Cooling, vacume, fuel, and so forth. If it hasn't been done.

Post those pics, and don't boost it to the moon. Those rings have how many miles on them?

Doug

Edit: One thought. Do a compression and or leak down test on it. If it's not totally up to specs, any attempts to produce more power are worthless.

Edited by Quidam
add text