Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guy has an 85 GL Hatch 4x4 for sale locally

Hey all,

Jeff here from Klamath Falls.....a newb to older subarus, but not to cars, or Subarus totally. I have a couple of Legacys that I beat around in off road, but have been keeping a look out for an older hatch.

Guy locally has an 85 GL Hatch 4x4 for sale, and supposedly it runs well, is all there, and needs a clutch and some tlc. He is asking $250 for it, with 220k miles on it......my questions:

1. What to look for?

2. Good price?

3. Is this a good candidate for an EJ22 swap?

4. Do all of these with 4x4 have the dual range setup?

thanks in advance,

Jeff

Not all of them have dual ranges. If the body is good

its a good cand. for an EJ22. Look for: bad axles,

rusted radiator, take a look at engine oil and coolant,

check dif. oil, and of course how badly it leaks oil.

Might also want to ask when the last timing belt change was :)

Those are the basics im sure someone else

will elaborate :banana: I would buy it :)

Yeah,don't ask about timing belts,they ain't none. Unless someone took out the ea81 and put something else in. I look for rust first. Dents second. and then I look at the dash board. I like a crack free dash for sure. And,with no rust and not alot of dents, I can usaully repair or replace anything else with out too much trouble. Those are pretty much the three things that will turn me off. Good glass is a bonus.

I always look on the bottom side of a car....that tells the real story of what its all about, first check the pinch weld that goes from the front to the back if that is folded over you can tell its been is some situation before. also look to see if it has been wheeled hard, it the floor boards are all smashed up, you got your anwser, also look for oil, you can tell it the engine is leaking bad or the trans is leaking bad just by how much spray there is from oil under there, you can also tell if rear CV boot are torn or anything else is screwy lookin, such as the exaust. thats my 2 cents for ya.............but either way I'd buy it, 250 for a hatch is a damn good deal.

I sold mine with no rear seats a leaking water pump and 217,000 miles for 800. so I'd just get it.

Jeff

I would also say go for it. I just picked up an 88 wagon with the dual range and a 5 spd for $300. Definately needs some love, but the mechanicals and interior are fantastic. And for $250 you can afford to spend some quality time and money on it. Keep us posted. :)

All good ideas guys....thanks!

I called the owner, but havent talked to them in person. I will most likely look at the car early next week, if its still for sale (local, but still 85 miles away).....

So, how many were dual range 4x4, and how many were just regular 4x4?

Well, the owner called me back....and she still has the car. Supposedly it runs well, idles smooth, and starts up everytime she has tried it. She got it from her sister and brother in law, who have had it in Southern Oregon its entire life. She says she thinks it has dual range 4x4, but not 100% sure. I asked about the body, and she says it has some minor nicks, scratches, and minor dents, but no major damage.

I will be checking it out in a few days.....thanks for the input, folks!

All 4WD GL's were dual range unless it's an automatic. DL's were single range and STD's were single range.

Sounds like a good deal. That's what I paid for mine with similar mileage. If the maintenance has been so-so you will probably end up rebuilding the engine soon with the mileage that high. The oil pump's need replacing about every 100k and that almost certainly hasn't been done.

The 4 speed's lose the 3rd gear syncro at around that mileage as well. Likely you'll want to look for a 5 speed to install.

Rear hatch pop-out window latches are almost always broken and are difficult to find and no longer availible through Subaru. If it has a good set clean the window seals so you get a water-tight seal and NEVER OPEN those latches again.

Basically that's a good deal for the body so anything beyond that is a plus. A premium condition low-mileage hatch can easily fetch $1200 or more so $250 for a good body is a great deal. You'll likely have to do a bit of work to make it a reliable daily or off-roader, but that's the price you pay for 23 year old Subaru's. Count on axles and probably bearings, u-joints, engine work, and putting on a Weber or SPFI as the stock carbs are junk.

GD