Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newbieish questions for the learned

I had never even heardof an RX until I found this board, much less the coveted lsd, the locking center differential or the dual range cars... wow.

I have a push button 'single range', and it's been fine for me, until this winter. but... I'm a little unclear on some ideas. The lsd I understand, although I was surprised that isn't the default AWD or 4x4 rear end.

Q 1,2 ; How would I spot one of these coveted items in a junk yard? What do they come out of?

Q 3 ; If I had a center differential, I could run a different gear ratio on the rear axle than the front?

Q 4,5 ; Is that something I could add onto my one range 5 spd or is it part of a wholly different gearbox? What gear box is that?

Q 6; what is the 'locking' in locking center differential?

Q 7; anyone know what the power bias on the one button wonders is?

Q 8; Why is this Loyale so prone to crazy understeer? Can anything be done to reduce that?

Q 9; What is the weight of my 1990 Loyale RS compared to an XT of the same vintage?

Q 10; is it just me or did they only make the RS to use up RX parts?

TIA for your patience and time

Q 1,2 ; How would I spot one of these coveted items in a junk yard? What do they come out of?

All LSD diff's have a label on the rear with the Gear Ratio, and in huge letters they say LSD next to them. Another quick and easy way to tell is to rotate one tire... of the other tire rotates the same direction it is a LSD... if the other tire rotates in the opposite direction its a regular open diff.

Q 3 ; If I had a center differential, I could run a different gear ratio on the rear axle than the front?

No!

Q 4,5 ; Is that something I could add onto my one range 5 spd or is it part of a wholly different gearbox? What gear box is that?

The only way to get a locking center diff... or a center diff at all, is to replace the entire transmission.

Q 6; what is the 'locking' in locking center differential?

Most AWD cars have an open center diff that works like your open front or rear diff. Which ever end of the car has the least amount of traction gets the most amount of power. Your Single Range 4WD has no diff, its always locked. On RX's, the open center diff can be locked with a switch... giving true 50/50 front to rear when locked.

Q 7; anyone know what the power bias on the one button wonders is?

50/50

Q 8; Why is this Loyale so prone to crazy understeer? Can anything be done to reduce that?

Slow Down.

Q 9; What is the weight of my 1990 Loyale RS compared to an XT of the same vintage?

No Clue.

Q 10; is it just me or did they only make the RS to use up RX parts?

Maybe. Or to lower the cost of production while keeping the "Good Look"

Your Transmission is Single Range 4 Wheel Drive, not an All Wheel Drive. The RX has a Full Time 4WD which is what everybody now refers to as All Wheel Drive. 4WD gearboxes can be switched from 2WD to 4WD. They do not have a center diff. When you engage 4WD, both front and rear diff's get 100% of the engines power, split 50/50. You cannot use them on Pavement as there is no "give" in the transmission and things begin to bind.

AWD Transmissions are Always 4WD and cannot be switched into 2WD. They have a Center Diff that can let the front end spin alittle faster than the rear or vise versa. Current AWD cars are more computer controlled and can detect slip in each wheel and adjust to make sure power goes where the traction is. None of the EA82 Cars are that complex.

Edited by TheSubaruJunkie

thank you both for the rapid replies

the answer -slow down- made me laugh out loud

4 lo would be nice <2% of my time, I'll be happy with what I have, 50/50 distribution can't be beat (although 60/40 would be cool for messing around on flat gravel corners) :eek:

a LSD would only create more understeer. Dependings on the driving conditions, but the LSD will have a tendency to push the front wheels which results in more understeer.

You can find a LSD in EVERY RX. They are also optional for all EA82's but the 3.7 gear ratio kept them limited to 3.7 transmissions which were full time 4WD. So RX's and 1988 to 1989 GL10 Turbo Wagons & Sedans with Full Time 4WD transmissions may have them.

a LSD would only create more understeer. Dependings on the driving conditions, but the LSD will have a tendency to push the front wheels which results in more understeer.

You can find a LSD in EVERY RX. They are also optional for all EA82's but the 3.7 gear ratio kept them limited to 3.7 transmissions which were full time 4WD. So RX's and 1988 to 1989 GL10 Turbo Wagons & Sedans with Full Time 4WD transmissions may have them.

unfortunately I have 3.9... I'll keep my eyes open at the next yard

I'm sure this will create some debate, but I'd just like to point out that the limited slip diff is really nothing to right home about. It's only so "coveted" around here because it is slightly better than the rest of what Subaru had to offer. Because of this; too many people have held it in incredibly high regard. Mix that with their scarcity, and that's how they've become "coveted"

Brag about a limited slip differential in alot of other motor vehicle enthusiast circles, and prepare to be laughed at.

They are best suited for RallyX, and that's about it. Some wheelers may object, but only the ones who have them in their cars.

Or those who are wanting to sell you one.:rolleyes:

I love my VLSD in my 2000 RS and love my LSD in my Brat for off road. I wheeled with subarus for years with an open diff and finally came across an LSD, I built it up to fit my Brat and what a difference! No, it doesn't lock up solid, but it certainly helps a lot!!!! But you have to keep in mind, it's called a limited slip, not a locker!

Edited by bratman18

I must point out that the RX's FT4WD is NOT the same as later AWD transmissions. The FT4WD has a center differential (that is lockable), while the AWD transmissions have a viscous clutch pack instead. The VC allows some transfer of power (it's a form of "limited slip device") even if a single wheel is off the ground - the FT4WD's do not unless you lock the diff or have an LSD in the rear.

The RS was a stop-gap solution to not having any sporty offerings between the demise of the RX and the introduction of the Legacy Sport Sedan in '91 (my car :grin:). Unfortunately they were rather stripped down.

If you are looking for a hot-rod, sell the RS and get something with an EJ series turbo engine of some flavor. The EA82 is a poor choice for a lot of reasons - do some searching and you'll get aquainted with them.

As far as the LSD's go (the clutch pack units from the 80's). They are mildly better than an open diff for light duty stuff. If you are into anything hardcore they won't cut it. I went welded on my lifted rigs years ago and it's 10x better than an LSD and 50x better than open.

GD

I love my VLSD in my 2000 RS and love my LSD in my Brat for off road. I wheeled with subarus for years with an open diff and finally came across an LSD, I built it up to fit my Brat and what a difference! No, it doesn't lock up solid, but it certainly helps a lot!!!! But you have to keep in mind, it's called a limited slip, not a locker!

VLSD is free until excessive slip causes lockup

LSD is locked until excessive torque differential forces clutch to slip

I must point out that the RX's FT4WD is NOT the same as later AWD transmissions. The FT4WD has a center differential (that is lockable), while the AWD transmissions have a viscous clutch pack instead. The VC allows some transfer of power (it's a form of "limited slip device") even if a single wheel is off the ground - the FT4WD's do not unless you lock the diff or have an LSD in the rear.

The RS was a stop-gap solution to not having any sporty offerings between the demise of the RX and the introduction of the Legacy Sport Sedan in '91 (my car :grin:). Unfortunately they were rather stripped down.

If you are looking for a hot-rod, sell the RS and get something with an EJ series turbo engine of some flavor. The EA82 is a poor choice for a lot of reasons - do some searching and you'll get aquainted with them.

As far as the LSD's go (the clutch pack units from the 80's). They are mildly better than an open diff for light duty stuff. If you are into anything hardcore they won't cut it. I went welded on my lifted rigs years ago and it's 10x better than an LSD and 50x better than open.

GD

I'm still :confused: by your first paragraph :confused:

the RX didn't have all that much to begin with

the ea82t will last if treated right, which rarely happens

clutch LSD is much better for SNOW :banana:

I had never even heardof an RX until I found this board, much less the coveted lsd, the locking center differential or the dual range cars... wow.

I have a push button 'single range', and it's been fine for me, until this winter. but... I'm a little unclear on some ideas. The lsd I understand, although I was surprised that isn't the default AWD or 4x4 rear end.

TIA for your patience and time

RX also mazda rotary

RX is only an options package

LSD is another option

Well, I can kinda answer your first q,

Just about anything EA series with a turbo will have the lsd and they are

stamped with a "Limited Slip Diffirential" stamp. I think.

please, correct me if I'm wrong!

Twitch

you are WRONG

it is only an OPTION for the early ones,that was only available if RX option package was selected, probably still an OPTION for the later RX ones also

also look out for converted unmarked LSD :eek:

Your Transmission is Single Range 4 Wheel Drive, not an All Wheel Drive. The RX has a Full Time 4WD which is what everybody now refers to as All Wheel Drive. 4WD gearboxes can be switched from 2WD to 4WD. They do not have a center diff. When you engage 4WD, both front and rear diff's get 100% of the engines power, split 50/50. You cannot use them on Pavement as there is no "give" in the transmission and things begin to bind.

AWD Transmissions are Always 4WD and cannot be switched into 2WD. They have a Center Diff that can let the front end spin alittle faster than the rear or vise versa. Current AWD cars are more computer controlled and can detect slip in each wheel and adjust to make sure power goes where the traction is. None of the EA82 Cars are that complex.

only the ignorant call ft4wd awd, which makes me :mad:

AWD auto can have fuse put in holder to "convert" , although it is designed to be temporary

you are completely wrong about the EARLY RX SEDAN

LSD was only an OPTION

I'm sure this will create some debate, but I'd just like to point out that the limited slip diff is really nothing to right home about. It's only so "coveted" around here because it is slightly better than the rest of what Subaru had to offer. Because of this; too many people have held it in incredibly high regard. Mix that with their scarcity, and that's how they've become "coveted"

Brag about a limited slip differential in alot of other motor vehicle enthusiast circles, and prepare to be laughed at.

They are best suited for RallyX, and that's about it. Some wheelers may object, but only the ones who have them in their cars.

Or those who are wanting to sell you one.:rolleyes:

they are well worh the $$$$ in the SNOW!!!

only on here are we addicted to LSD, and advertise needing to get a fix :grin:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94506&highlight=option

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25227&highlight=rear+lsd

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94716&highlight=options

all of this could have been avoided by SEARCHING

Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie viewpost.gif

So from what I understand from reading this my dual range 5sp does not have a 3.7 gear ratio? Or is the DR considered a full time 4WD? The car has a 3.7 LSD and had a broken front cv shaft when I saved it from the crusher. It had a EA81 put in it before I got it but other than that I figured the trans and rear were original. The car in question is a 87 3dr Turbo. Some one please tell me they made a 3.7 DR 5sp so I can put a axle back in it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by TheSubaruJunkie viewpost.gif

So from what I understand from reading this my dual range 5sp does not have a 3.7 gear ratio? Or is the DR considered a full time 4WD? The car has a 3.7 LSD and had a broken front cv shaft when I saved it from the crusher. It had a EA81 put in it before I got it but other than that I figured the trans and rear were original. The car in question is a 87 3dr Turbo. Some one please tell me they made a 3.7 DR 5sp so I can put a axle back in it. Thanks.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14547&highlight=gear+ratio

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95125