Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i wouldn't buy axles mail order, return/warranty is a hassle.

the only ones i'd order through mail is MWE axles, go with them.

Ditto,

I have the MWE replacements for both front axles on the 96 obw (250K mi) done around 235K. No problems, and they're a good value for replacements.

i wouldn't buy axles mail order, return/warranty is a hassle.

the only ones i'd order through mail is MWE axles, go with them.

I would love to buy MWE axles but I think the owner of the business has died. I left a voice mail on Monday and sent an email on Tuesday and I have not heard back from anyone.

I need to do the job by next weekend so that my car will pass the my state's safety inspection and I cannot wait any longer to get an order in.

Someone on this board had recommended http://www.cvaxles.com back in 2003 and I wanted to know if anyone has used them recently.

Steve

That would have been my next choice. I think they are asking 125 outright for a new axle where an MWE axle or one from CVAXLES would be around 75 plus shipping plus return shipping (for the old axle).

I will apologize for my earlier flippant remark about the owner being dead but it is very frustrating to want to order something and getting no where. I have one MWE axle on my car now - the front right - which I put on the car two years ago. Now the front left needs to be done.

Steve

That would have been my next choice. I think they are asking 125 outright for a new axle where an MWE axle or one from CVAXLES would be around 75 plus shipping plus return shipping (for the old axle).

I will apologize for my earlier flippant remark about the owner being dead but it is very frustrating to want to order something and getting no where. I have one MWE axle on my car now - the front right - which I put on the car two years ago. Now the front left needs to be done.

Steve

Hmmm, I have never seen Max drive for that much, I guess your local NAPA is making some money on those!

Hmmm, I have never seen Max drive for that much, I guess your local NAPA is making some money on those!

I just got off the phone with the NAPA store that is local to me. The MAX axle is just a brand name that NAPA carries. That name applies to both the remanufactured axles they sell, which are Cardone axles, and the new units that they sell. The person on the phone could not tell me who made their new axles.

The remanufactured axles go for $56.xx plus a $93.xx core charge.

The new axles are $128.xx but no core charge.

I have read enough stories related to Cardone axles on the web that I would prefer not to purchase one of them. But, I may have to if I am backed into a corner with no other option.

Steve

Well I am talking about the new axles. An again I have never seen one go for that much! But they are very strong and very long lasting. The first few I installed were several years ago and no problems at all. Even the boots stay intact. And the joints themselves actually look beefier. Now the reman ones they sell are complete junk! And unfortunately that's all I can get for mt Brat. I was never able to get a hold of anyone at MWE as well.

Well I am talking about the new axles. An again I have never seen one go for that much! But they are very strong and very long lasting. The first few I installed were several years ago and no problems at all. Even the boots stay intact. And the joints themselves actually look beefier. Now the reman ones they sell are complete junk! And unfortunately that's all I can get for mt Brat. I was never able to get a hold of anyone at MWE as well.

I went over to Cardone's web site and they sell new half shafts under their Cardone Select line. Rockauto has the Cardone Select axle for $56.79 which is a whole lot cheaper than NAPA.

That will be my fall back position if nothing else pans out.

I wonder if anyone has an MWE axle they would be willing to sell?

Steve

You might email ccr to see if they know if Marshall is gone for a while or what. He used to work right next door, but has moved his shop to a different location now. They still might know something. If he is just closed for a week or two maybe it would be worth the wait to you. Or not.

Yeah, I'm in the market for a couple front axles for my 1980 Sube 4wd 1600GL wagon. Marshall quotes me $80.00 for rebuilt axles and $100 for new. My question is this: How long could I expect the rebuilt ones to last? Are the new axles markedly better? Anyone have any experience with these? And Marshall doesn't provide spring pins, seals. Where can I find those items (the pins are usually provided with the axles) alone?

Yeah, I'm in the market for a couple front axles for my 1980 Sube 4wd 1600GL wagon. Marshall quotes me $80.00 for rebuilt axles and $100 for new. My question is this: How long could I expect the rebuilt ones to last? Are the new axles markedly better? Anyone have any experience with these? And Marshall doesn't provide spring pins, seals. Where can I find those items (the pins are usually provided with the axles) alone?

Do not buy reman axles for your car. They do not last and many times are bad right out of the box. If you can get new ones, get them!!