Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crashed Dl buying :)

Ok guys need some advie. IM considering rescuing a

87 sedan that was in a frontal impact. The drivers

side fender is busted, drivers side turn signal and

the radiator is leaking badly. It starts and runs fine

with 88k miles on the odo. Its an auto with new axles.

The read trunk are was also damaged and its hard to

get the trunk to close. It does have some rust in the

back on the body. Especially the area around the

trunk gasket. The interior is the best part id say

almost mint :) $200 is the best I could get it for?

Idea would be a new fender and light, new radiator

and full tuneup with the intention of having a reliable

car for under 1k including the car and parts, doable?

i'm sure you could make it ok for under $1000, but that particular car is probably not worth it.

yes the mileage is low, but it still probably could use timing belts and a water pump just due to age. plus it has some rust and needs the body work. and its a DL and auto... dont get me started on how bad the 3 speed autos are :rolleyes:

I would be very cautious trying to make a "reliable" daily driver from a wrecked car. if the damage is light with no serious structural damage - then maybe, yeah. but if there is serious structural damage i would pass.

damage to structural areas can cause all kinds of issues with driveability, inability to properly align the car, uneven tire wear, tracking funny...

you say the trunk is having problems closing - did it get hit there, too? if not, i would be very leary of this car - if it was hit in the front, but the trunk is not closing properly, that says to me serious structural problems...buyer beware...

I agree with heartless, This may be a good parts car and nothing else. Unless you are a body man and have the knowledge and equipment to realign it, you should probably steer clear of it. These cars are made to absorb the impact all over the structure usually causing the car to be tweaked badly.

Car hit a car that was parked behind it because it was

pushed back. From what I can see underneath it didnt bend any

of the steering assembly. It does feel ok on the road as it isnt

swinging towards one side or anything. But I guess I should

let it pass by or parts it out or....? Maybe I can keep the engine

refresh it and lighlty work it some :)

as a parts car, sure, it is usable - many parts can be salvaged.

as a dependable DD - eh, maybe, maybe not.

just because the front end doesnt "look" bent doesnt mean it isnt. the only way to know for sure is to get a lot of measurements - a good body/alignment shop would know what the correct measurments are, and where they should be taken.

only other way to know is drive it a while and keep a very close eye on tire wear.

I had a 78 Chevy Malibu wagon (also a unibody) once that got T-boned lightly (caved rear door, but still drivable) only visible damage was the door and a slight tweak on the B pillar. both doors still worked! - started wearing out the rear tire on the side that got hit = structual damage...

These are unibody cars - the body "framework" is structural - and once bent is very difficult to straighten properly.

i could see if it was a 4x4 dual range , but an auto, i dunno, look for distortion on the strut tower, like paint cracking or metal wrinkles etc

post-21756-136027631053_thumb.jpg

this one has no suspention damage and holds an alighnment fine

i would buy it , because these cars are hard to find in the east coast of the usa, i have a 92 loyale 4x4 auto, i like it, it does rev 4k rpm or more at 70 mph, so i drive it around town as a beater

Edited by ivantruckman

i could see if it was a 4x4 dual range , but an auto, i dunno, look for distortion on the strut tower, like paint cracking or metal wrinkles etc

[ATTACH]6175[/ATTACH]

this one has no suspention damage and holds an alighnment fine

i would buy it , because these cars are hard to find in the east coast of the usa, i have a 92 loyale 4x4 auto, i like it, it does rev 4k rpm or more at 70 mph, so i drive it around town as a beater

I'm surprised you have not been ticketed for the headlight. I was pulled over and ticketed for the same thing only it was still relatively pointed forward and it was someone elses car. I was told I either have to fix it or have it junked. UMMMMMM ITS NOT MY CAR!!! Thats the michigan state police for you (Caro post) BTW I see your location is Caro, Is that the one in MI?

Took the fender off and the bend didnt reach the inner fender wall.

Drove it at 60mph and it feels straight, the tower

is not distorted. I found a guy that will sell me a

fender and rear glass (break in) for $100. Its gonna be my dads

as he has no credit. Ok guys post up the list of items to buy/fix/upgrade

and have me stay under $1,000 including the car :grin:

Reliability items, from my experience:

Timing belts #1 - unless you are 100% sure of how many miles since they were replaced. New idlers & water pump with new belts.

#2 Replace all 7 coolant hoses.

#3 I have used synthetic ATF in all of my 3AT wagons. Absolutly no transmission problems. I have been operating & maintaining them since 1988. The vacuum modulator is the only part I have repalced.

#4 Be sure to check the differential oil.

The alternator will likely need a brush and bearings around 120K.

Check the brakes.

Check the CVJ boots.

I'm surprised you have not been ticketed for the headlight. I was pulled over and ticketed for the same thing only it was still relatively pointed forward and it was someone elses car. I was told I either have to fix it or have it junked. UMMMMMM ITS NOT MY CAR!!! Thats the michigan state police for you (Caro post) BTW I see your location is Caro, Is that the one in MI?

omg the one and only caro . we have state poliece ,tuscola county sherrif ,and the local caro cops. , they love pulling over cars for lights , i got pulled and ticketed for no licence plate light. i was wonmdering if they were going to get me, but i planed to get it fixed in a few days anyway, so they would have to desmiss it

omg the one and only caro . we have state poliece ,tuscola county sherrif ,and the local caro cops. , they love pulling over cars for lights , i got pulled and ticketed for no licence plate light. i was wonmdering if they were going to get me, but i planed to get it fixed in a few days anyway, so they would have to desmiss it

Small world. I lived in and graduated from Kingston, My sister lives in the caro area with her husband so I come through there sometimes. Nice to know there are subie owners near me. I also worked at the walmart and the dairy queen when I was in college.

Edited by crash321