Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Struts with posture adjustment

Got a pair of KYB GR-2 struts from Rock Auto the other day...

Lastnight, I finally got around to getting the old ones out and realized the new KYB's don't have the 4-WD posture adjuster on them :(. So today I called Rock Auto to see if I could exchange them for a set that does...but they don't carry any. Only the 2-WD variety.

I'm thinking it's misleading to show 2-WD struts in their BRAT catalog listing. I'm getting a refund but I'm stuck eating the cost of shipping them back :mad:. I'm just venting here...hoping that posting here might save someone else from the same pitfall.

Oreilly's and Autozone both appear to have the correct model struts for the Brat online.

The adjustable ones have not been available aftermarket for years, if they ever were. 10 or so years ago, when I was looking for them, they were still available from Subaru. According to some research by the guys at the parts house I buy from, the aftermarket ones they looked at were half way between the limits of the adjustments. I have no idea what brands they were now, unfortunately, but they would not have been the cheapest brands.

I went to a pick & pull and nabbed a set of adjustable ones from an older wagon.

they are monroes.

and they make them to this day.

why do you need that adjustment?just curious,this is the second post i have read in a couple of days that are ***************ing about this adjustment.

just buck up and lift the damn thing.:grin:kidding,well, kinda..

just out of curiousity,what is THE big deal about this.i have had them and not had them,not an issue either way.

better handling can be had by rx springs and a rear swaybar.you stiffen up the ea81 springs and they do not react well.well at least not to me.anyways,monroe is the way to go for the adjustable.checker,schucks,hragen.oreilly has them

cheers, brian

I like the adjustables as I get about an extra inch out of them.

(though I don't know how it compares with the non adjustables)

Time/$$$ at the moment prevents a lift. And I really don't want much more tire under mine (a little bit would be fine, but wanna keep some low end) so it gives me a bit extra under the engine up front.

Axles seem to be lasting long enough for the moment too. :rolleyes:

But that's just MY reasoning. :)

Agree with Monstaru - the adjusters are silly and unecesary. They throw the camber way off and they make the front springs too stiff. They should be left down at all times. If you need the extra clearance make 1" spacer blocks instead. They are also a pain in the royal butt to adjust as most often they are rusty or full of muck and mud.

GD

GD, Monstaru,

What it really amounts to for me is options and nothing more. The originals I removed were in fact adjusted all the way down and stuck full of crud, but I'd like to keep the ol car as close to stock as possible. I'm currently awaiting a special order from O'reilley's... hopefully get them soon as I have a ton of stuff to do on the front end.

BRATs were made with em and should keep em. I point this feature out to people and it is so cool, that back then they made adjustable struts. its a cool factor. Show em up, crank em up right in front of people while they watch. Hw many TRUCKS have that, and a side step to get into the back.

Hw many TRUCKS have that, and a side step to get into the back.

Tons - the difference is they use air bags and press a button while you are out busting your knuckles on a silly nut that is going to stiffen your suspension and throw off your camber.

Seriously - it's a stupid feature and only results in people going places they shouldn't go without a lift and causing uneccesary tire wear and poor fuel economy. If they served a useful purpose I would be all for it. Sadly they do not and thus the reason the feature was dropped on EA82's and up.

GD

I happen to like my adjustables. In the winter I can gain some much needed clearance for the unplowed roads and in the summer still be able to corner worth a damn. Can't do both with a lift. Just my 2 cents on the subject based on my experience. Not here to argue about it or to bash other people either.

" Can't do both with a lift".......umm, yes you can.i could corner like a muther************er in my brat.it made you feel like you should loose your lunch,but none the less.

its all in the skinny pedal,ya gotta know when to push it

cheers, brain

Higher center of gravity/taller truck type tires and still handle corners as well as a non lifted street tire equiped car. Then please sign me up for a physics defying lift kit.:banana: Oh and I think I have mastered the art of pushing or more like standing on the skinny pedal owning a 89hp car lol.

I think I struck a nerve here...:grin: Just for the record though, it is an 84 Brat I'm working on and it's in pretty good shape for her age. Putting a lift kit on is not what I currently envision for the little truck, but my taste may change in the future.

By the way, O'reilly's called yesterday and told me the Monroes were back ordered or in other words not available.

So I'm gonna try Autozone today, but if they can't get something for me then I'll be using the KYB's I still have on hand. I gotta get this project back on the rails.

welp, i have owned both,and you have not.

we are not talking about 12 inches of lift here.

we are talking four inches.

and the "art" of using the skinny pedal does not alw3ays warrant it being stood on..........thanks, but i will stay away from the books on this one, as i have the experience to back it up.

regardless,these are not ************ing sports cars.that little bit of adjustability does absolutely nothing for you.sorry to break your little hearts.but it is a waste.cheers, brian

Higher center of gravity/taller truck type tires and still handle corners as well as a non lifted street tire equiped car. Then please sign me up for a physics defying lift kit.:banana: Oh and I think I have mastered the art of pushing or more like standing on the skinny pedal owning a 89hp car lol.

BUY THE KYB"S!!!!!!!!trust us..they are a better choice for handling!cheers, brain

I think I struck a nerve here...:grin: Just for the record though, it is an 84 Brat I'm working on and it's in pretty good shape for her age. Putting a lift kit on is not what I currently envision for the little truck, but my taste may change in the future.

By the way, O'reilly's called yesterday and told me the Monroes were back ordered or in other words not available.

So I'm gonna try Autozone today, but if they can't get something for me then I'll be using the KYB's I still have on hand. I gotta get this project back on the rails.

welp, i have owned both,and you have not.

we are not talking about 12 inches of lift here.

we are talking four inches.

and the "art" of using the skinny pedal does not alw3ays warrant it being stood on..........thanks, but i will stay away from the books on this one, as i have the experience to back it up.

regardless,these are not ************ing sports cars.that little bit of adjustability does absolutely nothing for you.sorry to break your little hearts.but it is a waste.cheers, brian

I never claimed these cars to be sports cars and in fact think their handling is far from great. And please don't assume I have never owned a lifted Subaru. I have had a 86 wagon with aluminum spacers all around that gave it about 4.5 inches of lift and with the taller tires required to keep it from looking funny I noticed a difference in handling that I felt was not worth the added clearance or the hey look at me I am a lifted car sensation. I am sure your lifted brat handles just fine for you and I am sure it could go places my unlifted ride could never go but my intentions are not offroad ability it is making do with what I have and getting the most out of it while having a bit of fun. I again am not looking to upset anyone here as I feel we all have something in common with our Subarus. I was only voicing my opinion based on the many types of Subarus I have owned.