Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early 90's small Pickups; Who made good ones and who made junk

Bserk,

All's well man! I can handle a good debate without getting too worked up. Just take a look at any of the Toyota threads on here, and you can see that. Those guys are even more brainwashed than you!!! :lol: Anyways, I'm just here to tell you that you are wrong, and I am right! :rolleyes::)

I made the crack about timing belts just as a comparison. Timing belts are just one more thing to go wrong in my book. You can look at them as maintenance, but, realistically I think they should be looked at as a weakness. Belts will break far more frequently than a chain, and when they do; the vehicle they are in is worthless. I'd call that a reliability, and cost of operation issue just out of principle. On the other hand, the front of a 4.3 Chevy V6 is identical (as is much of the motor) to it's big bro 5.7 V8. That means that its' timing chain will probably still be turning shortly after the sun burns out. However, in the event that you should decide to change one; it should only take a decent mechanic about 75 minutes to do so. It's only a bit more work than changing a waterpump on a Small Block Chevy, and I've almost taught my 10 year old nephew to do that.

As far as my modifications to my pickup; I only offered up those examples as a testament to the durability of these trucks. As you probably read, I've had two other 4.3 S10s which were left stock, and worked in stock form. They were awesome, they did everything I could've ever asked of them. But that's the best part about the one I've modified, and beat the snot out of. It is an even better testament to the durability of these trucks. The OP may never want to modify his, but, I can tell him with much certainty that both the 7 1/2" and 7 5/8" rear ends will handle, with great resiliency, all the nitrous fed, wide tired clutch drops I've ever thrown at them. So will the 4l60e autos, and the NV manuals. They were designed for heavier vehicles propelled by a V8, and that probably accounts for their durability. While you may not be interested in my questionable driving practices, I have to ask if you can offer me any such bona fides for many other vehicles on the market. Maybe the Ranger, maybe parts of the Toyotas( if only they'd made ANY horsepower in the 90s:rolleyes::lol: ), but, I certainly haven't seen many hardbodys that have been modified, and run hard. It kinda makes me wonder if all of the ones that have been aren't just rotting in a junkyard somewhere after an overly expensive, and scarce part gave up. The fact that you can extensively modify an S10 speaks volumes about numerous things on them. Their cooling system will cool many more cubic inches than stock, and their drivetrains will handle sooooo much more power. So while other pickups may last wonderfully well when driven by old men :grin:, the S10 will last wonderfully well when driven by both old men, and idiotic young men who enjoy smokey burnouts!

As far as your surprise as to the number of people waving the American flag for small pickups; there's probably a good reason for that. America invented the pickup, why wouldn't ours be better?

"So while other pickups may last wonderfully well when driven by old men...."

OUCH!, 3 Eyed. That cuts way deeper than any cracks about my truck.:grin:

I'll be 52 next month and Im not thrilled to be on the 'downhill' side..but I can still out drive a lot of guys my age... its all good, I dont need a cane yet. I do remember the days of smokey burnouts. I had a couple Mustangs in my younger days... seems the rear tires had a very short life span which my dad was always shaking his head about.

Glad we all have taken this as I, at least, intended...

You've made one point that sorta impressed me...I was unaware that the 4.3 shared anything with the old small block V8. Even I cant fault a good ole Chevy small block. And btw, the later VG30s, including mine, are free-wheelers, so a broken belt would not do damage. But they never break when changed as per the schedule. (and the TB does not run the water pump as in Subies, so even a failed WP would not break the belt... not that I have EVER see a WP fail on a VG either!)

I have a lot of vehicles, some of them come and go, when I can make a few bucks, or I just get tired of them.. others like my Fairlane (which Ive owned since 1976) are here to stay. The Hardbody is on the 'keeper' list, so this 'old man' will keep you posted if it happens to fail me. Until then, enjoy your S**T TEN, :lol: I hope you keep your AAA membership up to date, those tow jobs can get expensive! Peace

Glad we all have taken this as I, at least, intended...

You've made one point that sorta impressed me...I was unaware that the 4.3 shared anything with the old small block V8.

Even I cant fault a good ole Chevy small block. And btw, the later VG30s, including mine, are free-wheelers, so a broken belt would not do damage.

Until then, enjoy your S**T TEN, :lol: I hope you keep your AAA membership up to date, those tow jobs can get expensive! Peace

No problem. It was a good chat, and it's always nice to let the world know how much more than them I know. :grin::rolleyes::lol:

Just for your information, and personal enrichment; the 4.3 v6 IS a 350 re-engineered into a v6 configuration. Just think of a 2nd generation (1985 or later) 350 cid V8 Chevy missing cylinders number 3, and 6, and (most) only having a passenger side oil galley for the crank. That is a 4.3 v6. It is an engine handed to us directly from the gods, and designed for GOBS of low end, earth rotating torque. They will leave the line in 5th gear without much drama. Just something neat I noticed. I'm always telling Jeff (One Eye) that I'm not certain why they ever put more than two gears in my pickup. :)

As far as the VG30; I'm pretty familiar with that little guy, and I've free spooled a few of them after the timing belts went. I had a pretty sweet little 1988 200sx s12 with a VG30 in it. They are a blast of a car that have been probably, luckily, saved from the "drifter" idiots by their IRS. Mine was a dream. Reasonably fast for 160 HP. The only thing I ever found funny was how those Nissans all smell funny after you run them very hard at all. :confused:

I'll be sure to enjoy my S10. I'm not sure it would ever make it on a tow truck without dragging the license plate, roll pan, and back half off the bed off. Luckily I can keep it running with a couple sticks of Cloves (Blackjack works in a pinch), a 12 gauge shotgun shell, and some Murrays pomade. Enjoy your silly extended cab windows! :banana::lol::banana:

• 4 years later...

I have owned a 1996 Toyota Hilux from new and it hasn't had any major work done to it. I had the 2.5l Turbo and it gave plenty of power, and could do 75mph at a push. it was a diesel manual dual cab pick-up and was the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned. Fantastic at towing and off-road. Also great in the snow, it never got stuck. I bought it new for £12,000 and it is worth £3500 now but you can get one for around a grand less than that. My one was a 200bhp version, and obviously Japanese. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Do your self a favor dont buy a toyota v6!!!!

Wail im a ford guy the fords auto trannny in the 90's ranger dont last and smallest payload but out of all the trucks they drive the best

The s10's have the most v6 power and the best trany and are tough they not the best driver's and have some qarks i hate the vortec FI sucks and ive replaced many parts on lots of the vortec fi spiders also the ecu's too

How ever most poeple here over looked the dakota. They have treted many of my customer very well. Very well built and come with a 4cyl v6 or even v8 if that what u want no one els offerd that in there little trucks for a reson the trany's hold up too tow very well and stop the best

However if i was buying another truck 90's ranger 2.3 5speed or pre 85 nissan 2.0 5speed

... 90's ranger 2.3 5speed or pre 85 nissan 2.0 5speed

The '90's Ranger 2.3 is also known as Mazda B2300,

I Agree, is an Awesome car, with a 2.3L 4 Cyl. engine and eight Sparkplugs; plus a Very Tall Body... I've seen them here working hard with more than 500K miles on the Clock and still working... also is very easy to fit a very oversized tires under them for increased ground clearance...

Kind Regards.

The '90's Ranger 2.3 is also known as Mazda B2300,

I Agree, is an Awesome car, with a 2.3L 4 Cyl. engine and eight Sparkplugs; plus a Very Tall Body... I've seen them here working hard with more than 500K miles on the Clock and still working... also is very easy to fit a very oversized tires under them for increased ground clearance...

Kind Regards.

Wrong 2.3 FORD engine made its appearance in 1974 pinto staid pretty much the same till 92 then they made the 2.5 and the 8 plug till 98 then the mazda diretek pos....

Seems like you got my comment in a wrong way... let me Explain:

The Car that was sold in year 1994 as "Mazda B2300" is in fact, a rebadged Ford Ranger with that 2.3L engine. I Meant that was NOT really a Mazda; the Real Mazdas had Different Model Nomenclatures, Such like: B1800, B2000, B2200, B2500 and B2900.

By the way, that Pinto 2.3L engine, also came available in the Mazda Sundowner, which was rebadged backwards, As Ford Courier ... as you can see Photos & Data, Here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123646-my-1978-ford-courier/

Kind Regards.

Seems like you got my comment in a wrong way... let me Explain:

The Car that was sold in year 1994 as "Mazda B2300" is in fact, a rebadged Ford Ranger with that 2.3L engine. I Meant that was NOT really a Mazda; the Real Mazdas had Different Model Nomenclatures, Such like: B1800, B2000, B2200, B2500 and B2900.

By the way, that Pinto 2.3L engine, also came available in the Mazda Sundowner, which was rebadged backwards, As Ford Courier ... as you can see Photos & Data, Here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123646-my-1978-ford-courier/

Kind Regards.

Ahh got yah

Yah ~75-80 ford courier was a b1800-b2000 and kept the mazada body till 83 with 2300 long lasting lil trucks but not enough payload.

• Like 1

Wow, necrothread!

5 years later, and my mind has not been changed on the truck I would drive.

I've sold lots of parts for both, and rangers have not engendered any more love than they did when this thread started.

The S10's sit about the same for me as well.

Hope anyone else who desires information on this can sift through the rabble to find the answers they desire.

Twitch

• 1 month later...

so s10 with a 4.3 is the best one with a V6.Which one is the best 4 cylinder 2wd MANUAL?Dont say nissan because I have had 3 nissans/datsuns kill their engines with less than 100K on them.

Edited by Uberoo

every single nissan ive owned has had a wonky clutch. the only one i liked was an old 720 my dad had. no way to put enough weight to stop that one....just no way to go fast enough for wind in your hair either lol. 

s10 wins, period. as far as 4 bangers goes...get a 4.3  s10. youll thank yourself later.

• 2 weeks later...

The eventual plan is to replace the engine and transmission with a 2.2L mazda/perkins diesel that I added a small turbo on just to help clear up the pipe at higher rpms.So in theory I don't even need one with an engine but it would be nice to drive it for a while before swapping the engine/transmission/fuel system.