Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should I stay or should I go now?

Sorry for the repeat post but I went back to look at the responses I got from the last time I posted this and I could not find my original thread when I searched for it.

I have an 86 GL wagon with 220K and it leaks oil to the tune of 2 quarts every 1K miles and has a strong gas smell when started (carb needs a reseal). It also is near the end of its clutch. I took it in to a recommended mechanic here (and they were fine) and its looking like $1500 to fix it (for a reseal and a new clutch). For a $750 car that is seeming a bit steep. While i would like to do the work myself, I have no room and because of a job (where I am trying to avoid being a cutback casualty by Summer) I have no time. What free time I do have needs to go to finishing my Masters and hanging with my 5 year old.

I got pre-approved at the local CU so I started looking at used New Gen Subarus (Legacy with a 2.2 and a manual would be my choice). Because of my likely unemployed status in the not so distant future I'm trying to keep things around 5K - 7.5K. The problem is that most local cars for sale have been waaay overpriced and the dealers are ON CRACK with their pricing (asking 6K for a car worth about 3K at the most).

Here's my question, would I be better off keeping my 86GL? I like the car a lot and have more than a few hours of sweat equity in it. I installed the stereo, swapped Impreza seats (courtesy of Zap) did a lot of interior swapping of broken parts and replaced the bumpers with Loyale bumpers. I even have a Weber in a box waiting for a home. But at 23 years old $1500 seems to me to be a lot to drop on it. I could probably get into a used Legacy with less out of pocket and be able to pay it off before layoffs commence at my job.

There is definitely a part f me that thinks sticking with the GL is smarter but I don't want to end up spending more on it that I could just moving to a bit newer car.

Any sage advice?

:confused:

Edited by kdixey

...There is definitely a part f me that thinks sticking with the GL is smarter ...

You can Trust that Part!

Let me Tell you that Maybe the Problems of your EA82 (isn`t it?) Must be not too Hard to Fix... My EA82 Wagon was Burning Oil at Around 220K Too, but I Opened the Engine and Found just Worn Valves` Seals (Some sort of Plastic O-Rings that goes on the Heads) which are very Cheap; I Just Changed those Valves` Seals (and Head Gaskets) and the Engine Stopped Burnin` Oil, Now it is Over 260K Runnin` Like a Champ!

Also I Did the Weber Swap Too... if you Already Have a Nice New Weber in a Box, I Suggest you to Fix the Oil Burnin` issue in your Engine and Swap the Weber on it! ...

And the Clutch isn`t Hard to Do Too...

I Believe that the Only thing you Need is Motivation! ... Think about to Have your Subie Runnin` Nice Again is just Two Weekends Ahead! ... One Weekend to Fix the Clutch and the Other one to Reseal the Engine and Swap the Weber! :headbang:

You can Find enough info about how to do That Here, Plus the Great Friendship! ... :) ... maybe someone who Lives Near your Home can go there to Help you!

Also if you Save your Subie, You`ll Save Money from Buying another one, plus the Satisfaction of the "Do-it-Yourself" Success Repairing your own car...

Best Regards!

find a weekend, or someone like me who works on these on the side to fix it up.

most likly it needs a front end reseal. if you want i can pull the engine, replace the clutch, as well as all the oil seals, timing belts, water pump, etc and drop it back into the car for you over the weekend.

find a weekend, or someone like me who works on these on the side to fix it up.

most likly it needs a front end reseal. if you want i can pull the engine, replace the clutch, as well as all the oil seals, timing belts, water pump, etc and drop it back into the car for you over the weekend.

And probally for less than that $1200.00 you stated ealier too.

Ifin it were me,,,, ain't no-way,,, I'd get into a car loan right now with the knoweledge that a lay-off was looming in my future. I'd be fixing the one I have before getting a newer one.

Ifin it were me,,,, ain't no-way,,, I'd get into a car loan right now with the knoweledge that a lay-off was looming in my future. I'd be fixing the one I have before getting a newer one.

+1

If lay-off's are a possibility don't get a loan. Sounds like you've got some offers of help

Sorry for the repeat post but I went back to look at the responses I got from the last time I posted this and I could not find my original thread when I searched for it.

I have an 86 GL wagon with 220K and it leaks oil to the tune of 2 quarts every 1K miles and has a strong gas smell when started (carb needs a reseal). It also is near the end of its clutch. I took it in to a recommended mechanic here (and they were fine) and its looking like $1500 to fix it (for a reseal and a new clutch). For a $750 car that is seeming a bit steep. While i would like to do the work myself, I have no room and because of a job (where I am trying to avoid being a cutback casualty by Summer) I have no time. What free time I do have needs to go to finishing my Masters and hanging with my 5 year old.

I got pre-approved at the local CU so I started looking at used New Gen Subarus (Legacy with a 2.2 and a manual would be my choice). Because of my likely unemployed status in the not so distant future I'm trying to keep things around 5K - 7.5K. The problem is that most local cars for sale have been waaay overpriced and the dealers are ON CRACK with their pricing (asking 6K for a car worth about 3K at the most).

Here's my question, would I be better off keeping my 86GL? I like the car a lot and have more than a few hours of sweat equity in it. I installed the stereo, swapped Impreza seats (courtesy of Zap) did a lot of interior swapping of broken parts and replaced the bumpers with Loyale bumpers. I even have a Weber in a box waiting for a home. But at 23 years old $1500 seems to me to be a lot to drop on it. I could probably get into a used Legacy with less out of pocket and be able to pay it off before layoffs commence at my job.

There is definitely a part f me that thinks sticking with the GL is smarter but I don't want to end up spending more on it that I could just moving to a bit newer car.

Any sage advice?

:confused:

I live in Mount Vernon Just 20 sum miles south of you, if you want I got a lot of parts and sorta know these things:grin: If you want I might be able to give you a hand getting your rig in line, oh and BTW I have had 62 Subarus so I know them pretty well.:) all that crap to fix your car up could be done in a day. I'll send you a PM

Jeff

I think your previous post was in the New Gen forum. Here it is:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96275

As to your question, clutch and carb repair won't solve your loss of oil problems. With the mileage and oil consumption you'd likely have to go into replacing the rings on the engine and that's going to be pricey if that's the case. I can't advise you on which way to go, but there are lots of people here that look like they're willing to help you out. Good luck.

God I love this board. Its members are what makes USMB so great. I am blown away by everyone's generosity.

So, a bit of an update. A local friend of mine (with a lot of Subaru knowledge and a regular USMB member...he's the one that introduced me to it AND Subarus) offered me a trade. I'm going to help him design and install a stereo system in a project car he has and he's going to help me nurse "brownie" back to health.

:clap:

The more I thought of it the more the idea of getting a loan for a new-to-me car seemed foolhardy (although I was only looking at a $5K car). I feel much better about keeping what I have running. Besides, I REALLY like my beat up old brown car. No matter what I have looked at new I keep coming back to my old wagon and realizing that I like it (like an old shoe perhaps). It still has some life left in it and with a bit of luck and advice from board members I can make it last.

Thanks again.

The seat swap went fine. They do sit a tad high but they are much more comfortable than the stock seats. I ended up re-drilling the rails on the seats to match the ones in the GL. I think I even documented the procedure (complete with photos and a diagram) here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60027&highlight=kdixey

Since then I installed a new stereo (complete with an AUX for my ipod), replaced the steering wheel with one from a Legacy (although I'm always on the lookout for a momo or grant adapter).

Since I've decided to keep "brownie" going...

...after the needed repairs, I think next up are sheepskin seat covers for the front, an amp installed under the passenger seat, a set of rear speakers, a heavier front sway bar and some RX springs (those last two are acquisitions from members that are still sitting in boxes in the back room).

Kevin