Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timeing Belt

hop in bed next time and wake up with a fresh head!

the easy solution that is somewhat reminiscent of a ridiculous project like this would be to install an EA81. it would even be more reliable - no chain or belt. and very cheap.

it's possible if you have thousands of hours or $30,000 to pay someone...if you could even find someone that nuts.

It's all kind of silly. If you're that worried about it, just run without covers and the timing belt job takes 15 minutes.

how many miles are you putting on your EA82 that you can't change the timing belt every now and again?

hop in bed next time and wake up with a fresh head!

you'd rather spend hundreds (or thousands?) of hours converting it than 15 minutes doing a timing belt job???:confused::confused::confused::confused: if you could even find someone willing, it might cost about $20,000 for something like that.

It's all kind of silly. If you're that worried about it, just run without covers and the timing belt job takes 15 minutes.

how many miles are you putting on your EA82 that you can't change the timing belt every now and again?

<< thinking gary needs more sleep too... ^^that was a double doosey! (j/k)

Seriously, though... Once every 40-50k miles, spend a few minutes changing the belts..

A chain drive would be cool, but unfortuntately due to the above mentioned lube issues is somewhat unfeasible...

Besides, I like belts better than chains. They are easier to replace, and when they do fail, there's usually less carnage.

88RxTuner

wasnt anything about it being easy or not but i guess i thought you could put a sproket where the pullys were and line up some chain. I didnt realize the chans need lubricant.

i'm with you there, i didn't realize the chains needed lubricant either until i just got this H6 with a timing chain.

come to think of it, it would almost be a fun experiment, get some sprockets and chain and give it a whirl. you'd have to fabricate a front metal cover and have oil supply for the chain from the pump. water pump would be seriously in the way. if the system was closed, which it would have to be you wouldn't have to worry about cam/crank seal leaking any more!

I just have one question, ok everyone keeps saying the EA81 does not run T-belts. what does it have then? It has to use a chain right? I can't think of any other way I've just be wondering this for a few months and never found an answer lol..

Please give me more knowlege :)

btw, it is a scary idea on the EA82, but would make for a fun experiment "As Gary said"

I just have one question, ok everyone keeps saying the EA81 does not run T-belts. what does it have then? It uses a chain right? I've just be wondering this for a few months and never found an answer lol..

btw, it is a scary idea on the EA82, but would make for a fun experiment "As Gary said"

the EA81 is gear driven internally. There is no chain or belts.

come to think of it, it would almost be a fun experiment, get some sprockets and chain and give it a whirl. you'd have to fabricate a front metal cover and have oil supply for the chain from the pump. water pump would be seriously in the way. if the system was closed, which it would have to be you wouldn't have to worry about cam/crank seal leaking any more!

You may have hit on something there. Take those seals out for a feed supply, and in the side of the fabbed up timing CHAIN cover, drill a hold, weld in a tube that drains into the oil pan. Side because you would want a certain amount to build up to make it to the timing chain. Interesting. But still probly very expensive and time consuming. but interesting none the less.

EDIT: Althou finding someone that is willing to press off the water pump pulley, to press on a timing chain water pump pulley, and then custom fabbing up some cogs for all the other points.

Still interesting

It wouldn't take much for a motivated machinist to make it happen. Chain sprockets are readily available, and you could use a heavy grease for lube - just change the chain and sprockets more often.

No one in their right mind would bother with such foolishness, but it's not particularly difficult with the right tooling.

GD

No one in their right mind would bother with such foolishness, but it's not particularly difficult with the right tooling.

GD

Who said anything about being "in thier right mind" ? :grin:

I think it could be done - albeit, not very practical...

Motorcycles run on chains with nothing more than a squirt of chain lube periodically...

as mentioned - the waterpump sprocket would be the biggest issue...getting the correct size...