Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yeah i just got it done. Runs great.

Wonderful!

:grin:

I can only recommend two things mainly:

1. Buy a new hydraulic tensioner so you don't need to compress old one.

2. Replace all parts possible, including water pump.

3. (okay, three) get a chain wrench like they recommend on this list.

I don't think they sell the one at Harbor Freight mentioned here anymore.

i checked their store and the website and it's seemed to have disappeared.

'97

This is a great thread, very helpful as I'm about to tackle my 02 TB.

Two questions regarding the tensioner... As I understand it, post-97 you need to use the "new" syle tensioner, unless you use the bracket for the older one. I will assume this is true for 2000+?

Like others I'll use a mix of OE and ebay parts. My tensioner has acted up in the past, so I will replace it. Any issues with the tensioner in the ebay kits, any particular brand to look for?

The last Ebay new tensioner I purchased was from theimportexperts and it was NTN. Seemed like a decent part. Their bearings usually are GMB.

Actually I haven't opened the latest box from them but that's what they have been shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't recall ever getting bolts for anything but the special one for the tensioner.

But I usually reuse the ones that I take off anyways.

And I have never seen lock washers on the bolts. Where did they come from?

I have installed a lot of those kits but I get my own belt.

I've probably bought a dozen or so kits from theimportexperts and I don't recall ever getting any bolts like I said.

And why in the world lock washers?

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else received bolts, the correct length bolts, or lock washers. I'm thinking yours was a fluke.

Like I said usually I have them send the idlers, usually an extra idler or two (especially the splined one), and no TB so they may not just throw the bolts in mine.

Edited by davebugs
typing abilities

Yes they should be identical.

They ship them both the same (and the sturdier version) so that folks don't put them in the wrong place.

Occasionally I buy a car where folks have re-installed the OEM's and switched positions and the one fails that is now on the top that should be on the bottom.

Skip actually had posted a pic a while ago with an engine that he had with the same problem.

I know now Subaru ships the double row for both positions. I was just wondering about the ones in that pic it's hard to tell they look like they might be both single row?

If you put them beside the ones that you take off they certainly look like "double row" rahter than the bottom "single row" idler.

Atleast to me they have.

Single row and double row are types of ball bearing setups. Single row has just that, one row of ball bearings. Double uses two rows for more load carrying capability. Subaru used to have a pulley with a single row on the top and a double row for the bottom pulley, but the single row bearing pulley was later superceded by the double row and the double row is now used in both positions. The single row bearing pulley cannot handle the load long term if used in the spot where the double row bearing pulley is required.

Like in this pic, the black pulley top left has two rows of ball bearings. The orange one lower left has just one row.

timing-idlers.jpg

examples

http://www.kilianbearings.com/single-row-ball-bearings.shtml

http://www.kilianbearings.com/double-row-ball-bearings.shtml

Well live and learn--I never knew that. Thanks, porc!

Any idea what year they changed over?

..I don't think they actually automaticly changed over by sending both the same pulleys...but when looking at one of the subaru sellers on line, the upper and lower pulleys are the same when only applied to the 2004-2009 Turbo...which leads to me to ask...are the fastening bolts the same for each bearing, be it single or double row