Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power drain 83 Coupe One More Time Might have found it

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you and the Mr .

??? LOL.. I hope the board knows the njdrsubaru and me are just best friends..nothing more...we both like the same thing ( if you know what I mean.:)) hehehehehe. I point them out to him...bwahahahahaha

Edited by Bucky92

Heres something else connie and i know it doesnt (fix) the problem but why not just unhook one of your batter terminals after you finish driveing the car. Since you dont drive it that often and it wont drain down while your driveing it or if it sits for a hour or so. Seems stupid but you wont need to recharge your battery so often.

Ben .. ( OMG I am so laughing at you and Neos pics..way to take a thread WAYYY off topic I needed a good laugh..actually I am in tears)

I had thought about that..but with the digis being soo sensitive to electrical issues ..I would really like to have it fixed. Plus I like to take the car to work once in awhile and dont want to be playing with it in a dark parking lot

Edited by Bucky92

No i understand you still want to fix the problem connie but until then so you dont need to keep chargin the battery up just unhook it. And if the coupe gives you to much trouble ill trade ya guido for it.

Actually ..I have the battery out of the car right now..been out for the week..doing all my tests by resistance.

I would love to get my hands of Guido to do some of his rust work :grin:

No i understand you still want to fix the problem connie but until then so you dont need to keep chargin the battery up just unhook it. And if the coupe gives you to much trouble ill trade ya guido for it.

Ben. what would you drive in the winter then, you need 4wd in iowa.

OK ..first I hooked everything back up ( minus battery) tossed the tester on set at 2K ..got a reading of .002. pulled the red fuseable link..tested again..still got .002. disconnected the large wire on the alt and still got .002

?????

Good job Connie. Ok, you removed the large wire on the alternator and still had a low reading so the problem isn't on that wire. In your previous testing you pulled the small connector to the alternator and the reading then went high. Please check that again with the large wire to the alternator still disconnected. Also, if the next lowest scale on your meter is 200 then use that scale or what ever the next lower scale is. The resistance is still very low. If pulling the small connector makes the reading go high then that confirms that it is the bad path. The sense lead of the alternator is the trouble (the lead for the internal regulator). I know you tried 3 different alternators and had the same trouble but it seems they all have this problem.

To verify that the problem is cleared by removing the small lead to the alternator we will do a current test on the next go around.

On another note. You have previously stated that you didn't have this problem with the old engine and you didn't change anything really except the alternator.

Edited by Cougar

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. The regulator is internal on these alternators.
the very early models had an external regulator. My '82 Brat has an alternator with an internal regulator; I think Connie's coupe has the same. Connections are for internal regulator so external is not the issue.

Moosens are you pretty close to her? If so, any chance you can give her a hand on this trouble.

I think we have the trouble pinned down but I would like to do a couple more tests to prove it out.

Close as in about an hours drive. Connie understands - I have 2 kids and lots going on. She has help and don't forget she's rebuilt dirt bike engines and whatnot so she'll be fine. Luckily for her she has a fairy that magically appears to help her. :lol: Neo also understands :)

You guys are doing a great job - more than I can do.

Believe me I do want to go stick my nose in err uhhh I mean help out...