Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power drain 83 Coupe One More Time Might have found it

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent been home this weekend.Went bike riding on the beach with me little fairy:grin: 13.4 miles to be exact. I will be getting home later today but have to fix the upper rad hose on my Legacy that my husband is using while his Toyota is broke down, so that has taken priority.

And yea ..Paul has a really busy life too..with the kids and he works graveyard too (we work for the same company). I will get it .. I had Qman remove the for sale add. I know I am close ..will look at it more on Monday

When you are ready to test Connie refer to post #118 and see what you find out using the procedures there. If you can give me an idea about what time you can do the testing I will try to be there also so we can finish this without much more ado. Technicians are standing by :rolleyes:.

Edited by Cougar

I wont be able to get to the coupe at all tomorrow...cause my Legacy is down with a cracked intake on the radiator..I thought was a blown hose ..but it cant be driven..so Tomorrow I will be visiting moosens to grab a new radiator for the Lego and getting that going cause my husband needs the car ( he works construction and I REALLY dont want him using my Impreza). Owning 4 cars and only one is working sucks

Yota has a broken leaf spring and front stabalizer end link..and having troubles cause its so rusty under there..Good Job Toyota :mad: for forgetting to put the preventative on the frames ( there is a recall but my husband refuses to give his truck up ) Its 100X worse then my 95 Lego..and is getting close to the shape my XT6 was in...a 2001 too..I used to say Toyota were decent ..but this is rediculous.

it's hard, but sometimes the best thing to do is to walk away for a bit. Not too long, though. I have a graphic I've been working on and a while ago I got stuck between my aspirations and my skill level and put it down. I looked at it again last week and can't wait to get back onto it... but I'd given up on it THREE YEARS ago according to the file data. I couldn't believe I'd given up for that long. It's OK to give up for a day or two but giving up on something permanently is really giving up on yourself. Good luck with the coupe, and if you part it out, I want the louvers in case I get another one :grin:

Yota has a broken leaf spring and front stabalizer end link..and having troubles cause its so rusty under there..Good Job Toyota :mad: for forgetting to put the preventative on the frames ( there is a recall but my husband refuses to give his truck up ) Its 100X worse then my 95 Lego..and is getting close to the shape my XT6 was in...a 2001 too..I used to say Toyota were decent ..but this is rediculous.

Wow ive seen some pictures of it and it doesnt look in bad shape at all. Better tell hubby time to get a new used truck. One with undercoating or something.

there is a recall but my husband refuses to give his truck up .

amazing that he won't do it. From what I understand, people seek out and buy that year range in order to turn it in and get the payout. I understand loyalty to a vehicle, but seriously you should try and convince him to take the money and get one from a few years earlier with less miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I might have found the problem...after walking away from it for awhile...I hooked everything back up..but left the ign switch hanging ( to start with a screw driver) put everything else back together and I tested out at 1.0 with the meter set to ohms and at 2K. Upon start up the fan wasnt hooked up so I connected it quick. I am thinking that maybe the switch wasnt turning completely off. Going back out in a little bit to see if and how much the battery drains.

are you absolutely sure the battery is good.

with everything disconnected to the battery, put your multimeter on the battery and check voltage, hold the multimeter leads to the battery for like 5 minutes continuous watching voltage, it should stay at the 12.x and not drop ANY with just a multimeter on it. A multimeter does not draw enough current to take the voltage down. if you see voltage drop, the battery is BAD, not able to hold a charge.

are you absolutely sure the battery is good.

with everything disconnected to the battery, put your multimeter on the battery and check voltage, hold the multimeter leads to the battery for like 5 minutes continuous watching voltage, it should stay at the 12.x and not drop ANY with just a multimeter on it. A multimeter does not draw enough current to take the voltage down. if you see voltage drop, the battery is BAD, not able to hold a charge.

Yes the battery is fine ..its brand new..been tested ..and has been sitting for 3 weeks out of the car... today is the first day its been put back in. It holds a charge except when hooked up to the car

you mention a new ign lock cylinder....

have you tried a new ign switch? I had one that went bad, and really made stuff wacky killed a few alts too.... along with killed batteries....

Yea..I have swapped out the switch 3 times now :-\

giving up for the day..time for me to go to bed anyway

nope..its still drawing from the alt..I unplugged the white connector and the volts on the battery jumped up to 12.57v..I sware I am going to pull this motor out again and try from square one
Connie, more and more looking like the alternator. Have a good sleep and tomorrow we can continue with some logical troubleshooting. Please don't pull the engine and start over....un-necessary work and it won't get you any closer to a solution since we still haven't found the solution. Have faith, you (and we) will lick this thing.

Connie, more and more looking like the alternator. Have a good sleep and tomorrow we can continue with some logical troubleshooting. Please don't pull the engine and start over....un-necessary work and it won't get you any closer to a solution since we still haven't found the solution. Have faith, you (and we) will lick this thing.

I dont believe its the alt..since I have swapped in others..Plus I did not have this problem at all before putting the new motor in.. I used the same alt set up I had on the old motor. Nothing at all has been changed except the motor. Everything else is the same..every part etc...The new motor was a bare bones long block...I added everything from the old one.

Everything else is the same..every part etc...The new motor was a bare bones long block...I added everything from the old one.

Then it MUST be something we did along the way, as the motor itself is merely a mechanical entity, and carries no electricity. :-\

I have 3 alts..one of which is a rebuilt never used and they have been tested... but whatever..I am done... forget it ..its going to the crusher..seems no one is really reading what I am saying..anyway.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! :dead:

Please don't send such a fine example of engineering to the crusher!

Please, please, PLEASE, just keep working at it!

Twitch(ing)