Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(Twin)Turbocharging an EA81

Ok. So I reeeeaaaally want to stick with carb, but when I rebuild my brat I'm

going to be putting either two superchargers (which seem to work just fine

with carbs) or two turbos (which seem to be preferred by FI guys).

So now, if I have two carbs (yes I'm going to be doing twin 32/36 webers)

would it make more sense if I did turbo or super?

Turbo's are by far easier to get a hold of, but require special intakes and

exhaust systems.

Superchargers are a bit harder to get a hold of, but would only require an intake

mod, not an exhaust mod.

Sooooooo, with my find of an EA82 turbo in the JY :headbang:, I'm halfway

to having my turbo's, if I go with turbo.

Sorry, I'm rambling, my main Q's are:

1:Will there be any problems with turbo/carb?

2:Will it be easier to do either? (please relate as much experience as possible!)

3:If this is an exteremely stupid idea, please tell me! (so I can prove you

wrong!!!!! :D)

Twitch :banana:

----------------

Now playing: Ace of Base - Never Gonna Say I'm Sorry

via FoxyTunes

two superchargers? the parasitic power loss on this little engine with two superchargers wouldn't be worth it. not modifying the exhaust would only result in less power. twin turbos would be cool, but finding two turbos small enough for the EA81. the turbo from an EA82 would be good for the EA81 by itself, two of them would never spool. do you plan on running a suck thru or blow thru carb?

Ok. So I reeeeaaaally want to stick with carb, but when I rebuild my brat I'm

going to be putting either two superchargers (which seem to work just fine

with carbs) or two turbos (which seem to be preferred by FI guys).

So now, if I have two carbs (yes I'm going to be doing twin 32/36 webers)

would it make more sense if I did turbo or super?

32/36 Weber's are not designed for forced induction and due to their progressive linkage, lack of throttle shaft seals, and the complete absence of properly designed emulsion tubes, are a complete pain in the a$$ to tune at pressure's above atmospheric. They would, of course, work for a draw-through..... but that's a scary proposition and I wouldn't want to be within 50 feet of it.

Turbo's are by far easier to get a hold of, but require special intakes and

exhaust systems.

Superchargers are a bit harder to get a hold of, but would only require an intake

mod, not an exhaust mod.

Incorrect - any kind of forced induction requires basically the same mods - the only differences are in how it's driven and controlled. If you think you are going to run stock exhaust with a supercharger you are sadly mistaken. Not to mention the greater complexity of mounting the SC and driving it.

Sooooooo, with my find of an EA82 turbo in the JY :headbang:, I'm halfway

to having my turbo's, if I go with turbo.

Sorry, I'm rambling, my main Q's are:

1:Will there be any problems with turbo/carb?

2:Will it be easier to do either? (please relate as much experience as possible!)

3:If this is an exteremely stupid idea, please tell me! (so I can prove you

wrong!!!!! :D)

1. Tons. If you want to turbocharge a carb you have a variety of issues to deal with. For one the 32/36 is a very poor choice. Almost anything is better. I sugest you start reading up on blow-through vs. draw-through, and get real familiar with pressure and flow.

2. No. It will be insanely complex to do either one in fact. A single turbo on a single carb is doable - but what you want is something that takes many, many years of experience and knowledge to make happen - not to mention a lot of disposable income. If I wanted it bad enough I could probably do it, and I know a handful of other guys that could as well. But it's neither feasible nor is it reccomended at your skill level. There are issues that are beyond your ability to fix I'm afraid - for starters the heads won't handle the flow and the head gaskets won't hold the pressure without o-ringing the block. Just those two problems are monumental to overcome. Literally thousands of $ in fact. Stick with a single carb (not the Weber) and a single turbo - source an EA81T engine cross-member and some EA82T exhaust parts..... that is something you might actually accomplish and will teach you a great deal in the process. Keep the boost around 5 to 8 pounds though.

3. It is absolutely a stupid idea, and you won't prove me wrong. I've actually built turbo/carb engines.

GD

I believe I'll do whatever my carbs can handle, most likely suck through,

but if my carbs can handle it I would prefer to do a blow through.

And as for the difficulty level being to high GD, you forget that you are

dealing with an insane person.

I'll do whatever is necessary to make it work and however much time and

money I have to pour into it, I will.

I'm going to have a beastly brat and WILL prove you wrong, GD, no offense.

:lol: Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Let the battle commence!!!

:Flame:

Twitch(ing)

Twitch:

If your interested in learning about draw thru turbocharged carb systems, I think its carfreak that you want to talk to. IIRC he has a prototype 82 turbocharged carbureted hatch that was used in the movie "cannonball run"

One thing that has always had me fascinated about superchargers on the other hand is that if you get something modern like a toyota sc-12 or an eaton M62, etc... they have magnetically actuated clutches... aka you can put a mad max switch on your car!

best of luck and dont get discouraged with your projects.

Twitch:

If your interested in learning about draw thru turbocharged carb systems, I think its carfreak that you want to talk to. IIRC he has a prototype 82 turbocharged carbureted hatch that was used in the movie "cannonball run"

One thing that has always had me fascinated about superchargers on the other hand is that if you get something modern like a toyota sc-12 or an eaton M62, etc... they have magnetically actuated clutches... aka you can put a mad max switch on your car!

best of luck and dont get discouraged with your projects.

Carfreak attends the school where the car was built.

I dont believe he actually owns the car.

And GL with the project.

I too have doubts, and will believe it when I see it ;)

so, the compression on a EA81 motor, well it might be low enough, put some washers under your head gasket :lol:

carb wise, well, what uses carb and turbo from the factory?

would i be right in saying renualt 5 turbo? ok, it would be jetted up for a 1.4, but 2 of them, and geting the 2 turbos, hmmm, maybe, they might be small enough, just a thought...

good luck man, go nuts!