Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber throttle linkage with cruise control?

so I swapped a weber on... runs great... no hesitation...

however, I'm having an issue with the throttle linkage... I have cruise control and the short cable from the cruise box isn't long enough to reach the linkage from the stock cable holder... and the cable isn't long enough to reach the weber cable holder...

I used the hitachi linkage on the weber... it just seemed right... nice and roundy, with a hole for the lead plug at the end of the cable...

so right now I just have the cable unmounted... which works fine... but I'd rather have it secured somewhere...

so what have other people with cruise control done with their cable and linkage when they've swapped to a weber?

pics?

so nobody with a weber on their ea81 has cruise?

I'm thinking I'll have to end up fabbing a bracket... not even sure the correct bracket is on mine now... which is why I was hoping for pics...

I know I need a new throttle cable since the nut at the end rusted to the threads and now it can't be tightened and anchored properly... wasn't an issue before since it held itself in and reached the hitachi just fine...

so nobody with a weber on their ea81 has cruise?

That's probably an accurate statement. Cruise control was a rare and spendy option back in the day. My girlfriend likes to poke fun at people whos much newer cars don't have all the power features and cruise control, etc as my 1984 wagon.

yeah, I was afraid of that... I've heard of people stripping the cruise out for their off-roaders... and a lot of people get webers for off-road...

but I do love my luxury options... the cruise, the power steering, the power windows... guess I don't need the cruise THAT badly... mainly just for this upcoming trip from wisconsin to oregon...

guess it'll just have to tug on the linkage a little and idle faster... not like I'll be stopping very often...

Retro-fit the pedal assembly from an EA82 - the CC is operated entirely inside the cabin and has no effect on the cable to the carb.

GD

Interesting...

Both my '85 and '86 BRATs have cruise, although neither of them work and I haven't checked into the whynot yet.

Everything is "in the cabin".

On/Off switch on the dash,

Control lever on the RH side of steering column,

Control is mounted under the column, and operates pedal via a beaded chain.

Wondering now if it was a "change over" thing due to the EA82's coming out. The CC setup doesn't match any of the books I have for EA81s.

Wondering now if it was a "change over" thing due to the EA82's coming out. The CC setup doesn't match any of the books I have for EA81s.

The "factory" EA81 CC would be what's in the book.

I would surmise that your two examples were "dealer" installed CC. Either Subaru or some knowledgable technician realized that you could use the EA82's CC setup with the EA81 and thus you have the beaded chain EA82 variety.... or they are entirely aftermarket which is also possible.

The factory CC on my 84 wagon has the nasty vacuum pot/dual cable arrangment under the hood - horrible system.

GD

The factory CC on my 84 wagon has the nasty vacuum pot/dual cable arrangment under the hood - horrible system.

that's what I have...

Is it possible to use some flat steel to move the mounting point of the vacuum pot closer to the carb so you can attach the cable?

I thought about that, but since I shouldn't really need the cruise any more I just yanked it all out and will see if somebody else wants it for their car...

I would have put more thought into it but the threaded end of my throttle cable through the cruise it broken to that I can't really tighten it... I'd have to get a new cable either way... so I decided to just get a non-cruise throttle cable and install that... works great...

I had Cruise in Mountain Grizzly when I first lifted it. I had to remount the vacuum container, and the throttle cable bracket that attached to the spare tire support bar.... though my cruise never worked.... I think I ended up ripping it out......