Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I first heard popping in the front end of my 99 Legacy at 165,000. The right front wheel bearing went out and I replaced both wheel bearings. Popping noise continued and I replaced the front axles. Popping noise reduced and limited to going over bumps. I replaced the struts and upper pivot supports. Popping is still present when vehicle starts or stops moving and when swaying side to side. I'm up to 215,000 now and know I need to replace the front sway bar bushings. How about the lower control arm bushings? Anyone else had this problem?

I say ball joints. I've had two that make a popping, banging noise over bumps. Go out and shake the wheel that makes the noise. If there is any noticeable play in it, jack it up and do that same thing with someone watching the ball joint/tie rods to check for play.

my vote is for control arm bushings...I just watched someone go nuts replacing everything else..and the problem all along was a leaky bad control arm bushing

Now now, in all fairness, he may have been a little nuts to begin with :P

• 1 month later...

If this is a hijack let me know, but hopefully it's just adding info...

Is it just the bushing that needs replaced or is there something in/on the control arm, too?

The bushing is about $60 online...should I just buy a new one or 'pull-n-save' it, if they rarely die?

Thanks.

There is at least one small metal type bushing in the front of the control arm but I dont think you would need to replace it, the big bushing in the rear of the arm is the only one I have had to replace. You can get the whole control arm for around 35.00 dollars at the junk yard.

Be careful putting the big bolts back in the rear of the control arm, the arm will try to twist around and it might cross thread. And you will need a big wrench for one of the bolts on the rear because there is not enough room to get a socket on it, or at least not on my 97 Legacy wagon.