Ultimate Subaru Message Board

30 inch tires on 82 brat

jsubom

I recently aquired a 1982 brat GL rustbucket.:banana: Not a bad deal for $400. Anyway I got a free set of toyota 6 lugs and found a set of 30x9.5 tires at the junk yard for $100. I have all new suspension on the way (GR-2 front struts, and Gas-a-just shocks for the rear) for $170 shipped.

Now the question is do I do the 2" block lift with 15 degree angles and cut fenders or do I just cut the fenders and make it work? I don't want to deal with going through axles so I'm leaning more toward not lifting. Of course if I can't cut enough to fit the large tires I will lift it and try lowering the crossmember.

Thanks in advance

search is your friend.

but , to get to the point.put them on and see what you have to do.

with 235/75/15's ,my 4"ed brat was rubbin on some ups and downs........so i know that 30's,which was my next deal would be rough........

do what you want.but if i was going with a 30" tire,i would lift it at least that much ...or trim alot.

like i said,search will help you out.there are a couple of faq threads floating around....i even think one is at the top of the offroad forum ...........its called a "stickie".

theres even a cat named phizinza that has some thick tire on basically no lift.gets around proper even.

cheers, brian

Too big without MAJOR surgery, period, sorry.

Even with a 4" lift, and trimming fenders, it's still gonna hit the floorboards when turning. Prolly no power steering - so that's a wrestling match you might lose.

Your 1982, unless it's been changed, will have the smaller flywheel and clutch, and with large tires will be smoked quickly.

Most will agree 26-27" is best to still have some drivability, and 28" is a stretch.

Sorry to be so blunt, but 30" is just gonzo for a Sube, and that 73 hp will not cope... except enough to break axles before spinning large tires.

Edited by P K

Hmm, Thanks for the feedback. It's a good thing I didn't buy the tires yet since I had my doubts. I did see a nice pair of 27x7.5s but there were only two and they were non radials. I'll have to keep digging around or maybe just go for a 4" lift and 28s.

I plan on addressing the power issues by doing the spfi swap but did not realize the flywheel and clutch would be an issue. Will swapping an rx pressure plate be enough? The clutch is pretty close to dead anyway so that was already in the works.

By the way, "Major Surgery" is okay by me since this thing is very rusty and not worthy of any kind of restoration. I think the real problem lies in the width of the tires and the offset of the wheels as far as fitment goes. This is just my offroad beater afterall.

Thanks again for all of the feedback

You can run 30" tires. The best combination for this would be a 5 speed dual range swap (5 speed has a lower low range), and a 6" lift kit, and lengthen the radius rods 1", then pound away at the inner fender and cut any unwanted fender interference :grin:. For the record, with a 6" lift 27" tires fit with no cutting. I find I have plenty enough power in my wagon with the EA81 and 31" tires, the only things that get me are long, steep hills. I can still go 70 on the freeway if I have to though :banana:

-Bill

Thanks for the encouragement, I agree that we need to have more monster subarus. If something breaks it just gives me the incentive to make it better. Tires might have to wait for now since I have to put a new driveline and wheel bearing in my wifes outback. I also need to get the new suspension on the brat since the old shock/struts might as well not be there.

I just may have to jump straight to the 4 or 6 inch lift. Good thing I know some people who can weld:D