Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Coupe Love ..Restore Progress ( Pics page 2)

I agree. Start doing the worst of it. Fix it so it wont get any worse, then save up to have it done right in a few years.

You guys would have really enjoyed the Delta Cams BBQ on Sunday.

Lots of Old School American muscle there.

I'll post pics in the Meet and Greet thread.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pulled the other taillight and the rear bumper...the one damper( strut or whatever you want to call it ) is in very bad rusty shape but the rest is sweet.:( I am putting a new one on my list of parts needed>

LBsRestore001-1.jpg

LBsRestore002-1.jpg

this impressed me..I figured it would be rusty cause that is where the worst was on the damper but its clean!:

LBsRestore005-1.jpg

10k is a ton of money! What all are they doing for that price? I know that bodywork and paint are in there but what else does the coupe really need? If it just needs body work and paint you can get that done for less than half of that. There is a guy locally (who i should have gone to again) who does show quality paint and body work. He is not cheap either but to put it in perspective he did my entire last camaro for 4k. A subaru is a lot smaller than a camaro. If you were to bring it to him stripped of parts that are in the way (trim, bumpers, lights etc) you would save even more money. BTW the place is called lanes auto body in guilford ct.

Steve..the $10K involved media blasting the entire chassis..repairing the door and fender and every other little imperfection. shooting custom paint in every possible area..thats why he wants it a rolling chassis..no motor tranny interior wiring harnesses etc

If you took it to a place in Stamford that typically has Aston Martins , Lambo's , Ferrarris ,and all the top names you'd be spending $20k easy.

We witnessed my friend's brother inlaw spend over $38k on an Alfa GTV6 for JUST minor body care and fresh paint. Value of the car is far less than that ticket but he's got the money and wanted it done. Unfortunately we have TOO MANY of those types around here so the shop in Stamford can get that price and the owner will pay most up front and pay off the rest when asked to without blinking an eye.

Location and demand determine each shop's quotes. Towards the NY border you're going to see prices that will turn stomachs in Willimantic or some other podunk eastern CT town.

This is NOT intended to offend anyone from eastern CT.

Good luck, Connie. Hopefully you can get a good jump on the overall expenditures with a little DIY.

If you decide to replace the bumper or at least get new parts for it, let me know. I'd be interested in the rear bumper corner moldings.

I already have a new bumper coming but I need to use my corner moldings and trim and guards..its just the new chrome center section. Sorry.

the thing about the honda guy asking who restores a FWD subaru...

I do ..cause unlike the west coast..we can only count on one hand the number of coupes left in the North East. And for a show car who cares if its FWD or 4WD. even if it was 4WD I would never use it cause the car stays in the garage and never sees snow.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry if that was taken the wrong way, I was just saying the honda people probably wouldn't get us restoring a subaru. Glad you are showing the coupe some more love :)

My panel guy costs 40 dollars a hour and materials on top of that.

I got him to repair and straighen a english prewar chassie. it cost me $550.

Probley on My 73 GSR coupe it will cost me 2k in panel beating and rust repairs.

Its all time comsuming so sucks up the cash :-\

Your coupe looks great :)

Im still looking to pic up a RX sometime if I can find one.

I will settle for a GLF if I cant find one lol

Pulled the other taillight and the rear bumper...the one damper( strut or whatever you want to call it ) is in very bad rusty shape but the rest is sweet.:( I am putting a new one on my list of parts needed>

LBsRestore001-1.jpg

LBsRestore002-1.jpg

this impressed me..I figured it would be rusty cause that is where the worst was on the damper but its clean!:

LBsRestore005-1.jpg

Connie, the pics tell the story. At one time the muffer pipe rusted out and the previous owner didn't replace it soon enough. The exhaust combined with the moisture in the air forms acid which promotes the rust. Also caused all the rust on the inside of the bumper. I'll watch PAP and see if I can find you a nicer bumper. Notice that the exhaust pipe on the muffler is in pretty good shape; definitely not original. $10K is ludricrous; I can understand the estimate, but there's not sufficient rust to warrant paying that much for the restore. Edited by edrach

Ed.. Shawn W is hookin me up on a new bumper...just looking for new struts for it. I put on the new muffler a few weeks ago..I also extended the tail pipe a slight bit longer to be past the bumper. I is fixing the rust that is inside the trunk ...but that doesnt have to be a pretty repair since it will be covered.

I have another estimate for $4500 for the body repair and paint.

Russ till I pay to ship that car back there then back here..I might as well spend the $10 K..hehehehe . :grin: It would be cheaper to just ship you Rob and Briggs here

Russ till I pay to ship that car back there then back here..I might as well spend the $10 K..hehehehe . :grin: It would be cheaper to just ship you Rob and Briggs here

Hey Russ, a fine vacation in beautiful Connecticut!:lol: How can you turn that down?

Face it Rob, you'd succumb to the madness too. No need to fight it. :brow:

Nice pics Connie. I love seeing Subarus without rear bumpers. They just seem to look extra cool like that. And way to keep the progress up! I wish I could say I'm doing the same. :-p

Turns out the back bumper is totally toast...very very little I can salvage...one dampener strut and one guard and the end caps...the rest is garbage...so I am going to get desperate to find another strut ( can only come from sedans or coupes UGH!) and the trim piece that goes across the length of it..the black strip. Talked to moosens and he believes ha has the guards..and thanks to Shawn W I have a new chrome center section. But the project to trudging along...slowly but surely.

Have to find out if backwoodsboy and darlingchip are still coming next week to look into my electrical.

I am really starting to think this is insane...us girls arent supposed to be doing to much of this right?? :grin::grin:

So would bumper struts from a Hatchback not fit either? I just picked up a parts hatch with those bumper struts... If they will fit then they are yours.

-Bill

Bill...let me check with backwoodsboy..he has the part number apps. Your parts hatch wouldnt have a good black trim piece that goes the length of the bumper would it??? :)

I am going out to get some pics for my personal records of the progress.

Well if you think the ones from the hatch will work, Ill get them boxed up and shipped out, they are in pretty good shape, but Ill take a picture so you can see if you want them or not. As for the plastic bumper strip, I have 2, but they both have nicks and scratches and one is covered in moss :-\ so I dont think they are restoration quality.

-Bill

well I have the DS rear corner about stripped off and cleaned up. debating on if I want to put the thin trim back on ( I was able to remove it and keep it straight) I am also trying to think how I am going to get the lower rubber trim off without bending it...that I definitely want back on. I am also thinking of how to get the rear side window trim off gently..the front side is lose after removing the 2 screws ..but I am afraid of bending the back edge where the clips are. Anyway...here is what the rear bumper damper strut looks like ( the good one. and some other pics:

LBsRestore001-2.jpg

LBsRestore008.jpg

I love minimal rust

Edited by Bucky92

i like this car though i luv brat more.

coz its hv wat i want in olskool soob,

2drs, rare accessories n tiny rust.

thx to your weather where

unlike us at SE Asia, moist air will call for a rust..

wat is more impress, this 'guy' is dudette!

even more rare!!:)