Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Coupe Love ..Restore Progress ( Pics page 2)

Yes I did... I bought it some stuff at Carlisle...maybe as a peace offering or something....but I am showing my 83 GL-10 coupe a little bit of love. I got it a nice car cover for dust while in the garage and sun and bird and light rain protection outside ...on the very rare cases it is outside. I also got a battery disconnect in case next weekend we cant finally figure out what the problem is ( backwoodsboy and darlingchip are coming down ). And I got something that looks like it may be a very promising alternative to POR-15 and Rust Bullet. Its actually a bit cheaper ..comes in colors ..and is paintable. Its a 3 stage process by a company called KBS coatings. Have quite a few very interesting products. As soon as I try it I will let you all know what I think.

Edited by Bucky92

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connie,

No matter how much that car aggrivates you, LB is like the little prodigy child that is "one in a million"

(and WAY too rare and special to stay mad at)

Of course, when he sees Darlingchip and I pull in the drive with my Brat, he will go "uh-oh... shes breaking out the BIG GUNS! I BETTER BE GOOD!" :grin:

BTW... my battery disconnect works awesome

OOOooo...

You must to go into further detail on the rust killer...

I'll be needing some considering the rust on the brat is going DOWN!!!! :banana:

And maybe the coupe will play nicely now.

Btw, whats up the autotragic on the sig?

Did your 4EAT die?

Twitch

Naaa.. I just hate automatics... but my replacement 4EAT was free sooo...but when it goes its a 5 spd swap.

I will let you know once I try the rust killer stuff out..its a 3 stage ..after you sand you use the first product called aqua klean..it will help neutralize the rust. Then coat with Rust Blast and keep it wet for 30 minutes.. rinse with water..allow to completely dry the cover with the rust seal( 2-3 coats.) after a few hours you can then prime and/or paint to your color. But this stuff also comes in certain colors. I am not pushing the product ..I am trying it out cause it sounds very promising.

www.KBS-Coatings.com

Edited by Bucky92

BTW..if time allows this weekend I am planning on doing the rear disk swap on the coupe..and like stated before...next weekend backwoodsboy is coming to take a look into the electrical problem.

I have to keep looking at this pic to remind myself what i have in the garage under a years worth of dust:

Carlisle2008006.jpg

Edited by Bucky92

So I drove the coupe out of the garage yesterday ..thought he needed to see some light and get some fresh air. Took him for a spirited romp around the block to stretch his legs and then gave him a bath. He did have basically a years worth of dust on him. I did alittle bit of testing and I believe the current alt I am running is now toast...when testing the voltage on the battery while running it is 12.03 yet when turned off and the alt disconnected it was 12.54. Going to swap back in my other one( the higher output 90 amp instead of the 60 amp) ..If that one does the same I just dont want tp spend money on another just to have whatever it is in the car blow it out.

I also started trying out the new product for rust ..on a spot inside the trunk...where the trunk rack had leaked and it rusted out the floor. Figured this place will be hidden if I can ever find a coupe truck carpet or something I like to replace it that looks era specific. So far I like the product. Its time consuming but I am seeing some results with just the prep factor... I am going to put the sealer on today.

I tried on LBs new car cover and it fits perfect. Cleaned out the garage and tucked him into a corner nicely. I sware sometimes you forget how small these things are. He looks itty bitty next to the Legacy and the Impreza.

I was going to play with him some more put got side tracked with the dirtbikes, trying to get them primed and running for the year

See.. LB tucks in there nicely and now I feel much better that he is covered..already got some scratches from passers by:

003-2.jpg

I know you and the other board members understand. But does your husband just look at you sometimes and say. Why. I know my wife does.

I think my husband stopped asking why..and just accepts it. I looked at a 93 Loyale yesterday but its a weeee bit rustier then I want and I have enough projects right now.

Thinking on starting my rear disk brake swap today on the coupe...its nice and warm and ...hehehehehehe ...it should be so easy since the coupe has so little rust.

and I am wondering...I have a perfect grill ..and a perfect honeycomb grill..keep the original grill or swap to the honeycomb one?? I like them both. I have already blacked out the pealing old chrome on the headlight bezels.

( If you havent noticed..I am getting into seriously restoring the car )

Edited by Bucky92

I didnt do the rear Disk Swap today..but I did start doing restore work. Working around the trunk area first...treated the rust in the trunk with the new product I am trying by KBS Coatings. I restained the wood slats in my trunk rack and sealed them ( nice and shiny now) Pulled the Drivers side tail light ..took it apart and cleaned and tried to make it look as good as new ...but I need to find new taillight gaskets for both sides...and new reverse light sockets( pigtails) I pulled the metal filler bezel that goes between the bumper and the body..straightened it and coated the underside with Rust Bullet..I will spray the top side probably tomorrow. I want to pull the PS tail light also tomorrow and clean it up. I figure if I work from the back of the car front I cant get frustrated with the mechanicals right now. I have started a list of needs:

1. Rear tail light gaskets

2. Reverse Light Sockets

3. The trim inside the trunk along the back with clips

4. Trunk Carpet mat

So there is the start.

Here are a couple pics. .. I will just keep linking to photobucket for bandwidth sake of the board.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Bucky92/LBsRestore/

You are kind of inspiring me. Back in 2003 I brought back a 1983 Turbowagon from Washington state and I have probably towed it more miles than I have driven it to this day but the story sure sounds similar. I have a power drain and to make things worse I dont know if its the car or the 2.2 swap or stereo or god knows what else that I have wired over the years.

Thanks Shawn.. I am hoping to keep the momentum going now over the summer....once again..my goal is to have it ready to go to the body shop by the winter..I am debating on some things...like my rear bumper is rusty by the exhaust pipe... do I want to rechrome it ..or try and find a replacement? I HAVE to keep this car...I remember it took me almost 4 years to find it after letting go of my 82 GLF which I have always regretted. But after the Carlisle show and seeing that 83 Prelude restored to stock original ..and the attention..it made me want my coupe even more.. you get so much more compliments and small talk at shows with restored stock ..I have always said that.

I want to get an estimate from a local classic restoration shop for the body and paint work..A place called Big Als Toybox..they specialize in restoration etc. extremely nice work

I know i dont know your car up close, but how bad could the restoration be. It doesnt look near as bad as bucky or rocky. But it could be expensive either way. The paint doesnt look bad, just maybe a rough up and respray kinda job. Make sure they wetsand it real good. OH and buy the way, who restores a prelude.

Who restores an old FWD Subaru? :lol: (is what they must be asking)

I do ..cause unlike the west coast..we can only count on one hand the number of coupes left in the North East. And for a show car who cares if its FWD or 4WD. even if it was 4WD I would never use it cause the car stays in the garage and never sees snow.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Bucky92

after letting go of my 82 GLF which I have always regretted.

nah , that thing was beyond help.

Stick it out. You'll have a rare bird for these parts. These kids will break your stones but only we know what its like here.

Oh,and watch how fast your car becomes rare out there too. :eek: How many times did I hear " oh we've got plenty of those 70's cars stil , blah blah blah .... but you see them now and apparently they're hiding them :rolleyes: Luckily there's been a slight resurgence but for a while there weren't many showing up and nobody was reporting any in yards.

I predict the same for you. Rob will be one of the only people with the Coupes soon. the others will begin to disappear.

side note - effin DMV !!!! closed 3 days :mad: screwed me out of 3 days to get a VIN verification.....bastids.

I just stopped at an auto restorer and got a rough estimate ...now they do incredible work ..but we are talking about $10K if I deliver them a rolling chassis...but that could change once he comes out and inspects the car once its stripped down.

It is so what i want ...but I dont know if I can swing that. But LB would be truely amazing

I do ..cause unlike the west coast..we can only count on one hand the number of coupes left in the North East. And for a show car who cares if its FWD or 4WD. even if it was 4WD I would never use it cause the car stays in the garage and never sees snow.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I totally agree. They don't get it because they've never been here. Its so cool to go to a drive in joint for their car night and see totally common antique vehicles alongside of the usual muscle cars and hotrods. I actually spend much more time looking them over since I've already seen thousands of Mustang GTO Chevelle Camaro Firebird SS/RS this Bird and that Bird ....same for the Harleys - you can keep 'em !

nah , that thing was beyond help.

Stick it out. You'll have a rare bird for these parts. These kids will break your stones but only we know what its like here.

side note - effin DMV !!!! closed 3 days :mad: screwed me out of 3 days to get a VIN verification.....bastids.

speaking of vin verification, the only i times i had to pay for them was in Colorado, and it cost like 20 bucks a vehicle, and the person doing it doesnt even do it throughly. I can do a better job of vin verification than the bozos we pay to do it. they typically would check it on the window plate only. or else that and the door jamb. Not ONCE did they cross check it to the firewall.

I dont know what to do ..I want my coupe to look better then the day it came off the boat...and I want it done right so it lasts and turns more heads then it already does. Even the restorer cant think back to the last time he saw one ..let alone one as nice as mine. But ..I would have to rob a bank