Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mount an EA82 PS pump on your EA81 with my kit! Works with SPFI swaps too!!

Hey Ya'll, I have a little something Im gonna try and sell here, and Ill post in the parts for sale as well, but mostly Im just guaging interest here right now.

What I have here is a kit that allows you to mount a power steering pump from any EA82 car on any EA81 (w/o air conditoning though, this moves the alternator to where the A/C compressor would have been) This kit will work if you have a Weber on an EA81 or EA82 manifold, or SPFI, or :eek: the stock Hitachi carb even!

This is perfect for those of you with SPFI on your lifted Brat, Hatch, or Wagon, or if you have swapped an EA81 into your EA82 off road car. It is all bolt-on, and includes everything you need except the power steering unit components (pump, rack, lines, etc.) Comes with all new bolts as well. I will also send you installation instructions, with helpful pictures!:banana:

If there is enough interest I have the resources to make a lot of these, and if I can get more people at once I can offer lower prices. As it sits, Im looking to get $60 for a kit, or PM me with trades or something and we can make a deal. I will have to ask for any byuers to please send me your old A/C Delete alternator brackets as a core after you have completed the swap, including the little spacer dealio.

Now for the pics :)

The kit (includes everything seen here)

05-16-09_1140.jpg

This is what it will look like installed (JDM EA81 w/EA82 manifold and Weber 32/36 shown)

05-10-09_1500.jpg

Here is is on a motor from an 82 GL (no manifold installed in pic)

05-16-09_1131.jpg

Thanks for looking, please let me know what you think, ask any questions, and PM me if you are interested in one of these, I have 2 built and ready to ship right now. Thanks!

-Bill

Bill Omlin Subaru Off Road Specialties(BOSOR)

Edited by The Beast I Drive

Twitch, I am certain it will work with the 100 amp upgrade, but it will require a slightly offset adjuster arm, I will be working on that soon, as I am going to fit one of these kits in the Beast so I can get my PS back, and I already have a 100 amp GM early-style alternator in there.

For the record, the modified arm on my 100 amp conversion started out as the exact same arms I now use in this kit... I had to put like 1/2" offset or something in it when i did the 100 amp alt conversion...

-Bill

Right on!

Also, I was looking at a EA81 manual rack and an EA82 PS rack, and I noticed the mounting points are in the same dimensions, so I will also look into how feasible it is/what needs to be done to use a EA82 PS rack in an EA81 car, as this is what I plan to do to my Brat as well when I lift it this summer.

-Bill

well, thats kinda how they come, the mounting bar for the alt is actually sold as part of an alternator mount for a small block Chevy. I use the top hole to fit the belt that comes in the kit, and there is only one threaded hole on the front of the head, but you could use the other hole if you had to for some reason.

HAve you actually mounted this kit to an SPFI swapped EA81 engine?

Remember, in the SPFI swap, the IAC is flipped over, and it's solenoid sticks out to the drives side, and the air tube comes up from below.

It looks to me like the resevior will be in the way of where the IAC needs to be on an SPFI swap.

Very nice job though, just exploring all the possibilities

It should fit SPFI, that is what the first one was ordered for. Unfortunately, I couldnt get an SPFI manifold, all I had was a Weber setup. I am assuming it will fit, Bratman will be able to tell me if it fits or not very shortly, he is getting the prototype, if it does not fit I will immediately redesign it to work.

-Bill

• 2 weeks later...

So I have spent the last several hours slowly putting the EA81 into my EA82 car. I'm not done yet, I just got home and it's 11:30pm!! I'm tired. But this does bolt on with the fuel injection intake manifold. Most of my time has been trying to figure out all the little details about bolting the manifold onto an EA81 motor!! Like changing the IAC around etc. So I will be back at it tomorrow, and will post pics of it installed.

I'm finished!!! It all works. It took a lot longer than I thought it would but it's done!!! So like I stated, this kit does work with the SPFI, it is very close to the IAC but it does work, so now I have an EA81 in my EA82 GL with fuel injection and power steering!! A+ to Bill for making this kit, it had everything needed. I will get some pics later, but I'm going to bed soon so I can get up and go to bed tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - I have a question about your kit.

Does it rely on the factory bosses for the EA81T power steering being on the block? In other words would it work with the non-hydro lifter block's that don't have the bosses for the PS in the center?

I'm pondering using the EA82 power steering pump with an EA81T power steering reservior in order to hook into an EA81T power steering rack & cross-member. The engine in question will end up being a blow-through turbo setup so I need to keep the power steering lines on the drivers side.

GD

i am waiting for the information on fitting the ea82 p/s rack to a ea81 brat..

does the ea82t have the same rack? .......

just happen to have one of those and a brat with no p/s

what more interesting creations will come from Bill's castle:)

Edited by wallaby
can't sepll

You can't fit a power steering rack to a non-power steering cross-member without major reworking of the cross-member. It's not viable. Much better to find an EA81 power rack and cross-member.

GD

Kinda had the idea of doing that when I had the steeringwheel shaking issue. Have both EA-81 X-member and EA-82 P/S rack as extras lying around. Didn't dive into it to much, cause it looked like it would take some work on the PS end of the X-member to clear the hydraulic line on the EA-82 rack. But all I did was look at it, didn't "try" fitting anything. Was pressed for time in getting the BRAT back on the road..