Ultimate Subaru Message Board

craptastical

The first time out offroad with the new 235's on my 84 offroad toy the motor got hot because somehow the coolant disappeared. The motor got hot enough to make what sounded like rod knock.Not to mention that all the oil and grease caked on the motor got hot enough to burn off and make a pretty good smoke cloud.We let it cool down then put water in.She ran fine all of that day, and every day until today.A couple of days ago I noticed that I was loosing a bit of coolant.I thought it was because the radiator cap was loose.Today I tried to drive up a hill towards moscow(30 miles away). the hill was 7 miles about 10% grade.Steep enough that the underpowered combo of EA81 and 235's in 2lo could only go about 50 up it winding out third.Got to the top of the hill and shifted to 4th and tried to accelerate to the 65 MPH speed limit.With it floored it 4th it would only go 50 MPH on flat ground.Somethings up. So I pulled over at the nearest stopping area.The motor stalled when I stopped.The radiator was cold and there wasnt a drop of water in it.I had topped of the water at the bottom of the hill. The motor wouldnt restart even after putting some water in it. Just cranked like it didnt have any compression. So I had a friend tow me back into town. I found I could bumpstart the motor while moving and the motor could rev but if I tried to stop she would just stall out again.So right now looking at one maybe both headgaskets blown.The heads are warped and possibly the block.Atleast $200 just to fix it.Only problem is I dont really have money to put gas in the thing, let alone rebuild the motor so I kinda dont know what to do.

I wont sell the subaru because its a pain in the butt to find another sutable wheeler.It will just sit for a while until I can find the money to fix it.While driving my 89 cummins auto that gets 15 MPG...its gonna be a while.

Its seems all my problems with subarus are them getting hot or the coolant dissapearing.I wonder if I can find a nice air cooled VW engine to put in there...

Likely the head gaskets were already going out the first time the coolant "dissapeared". That should have been a clue. There shouldn't be ANY coolant loss beyond what the EA81 pukes out to get to it's normal running range (no overflow bottle).

For example - my 91 SS has a 94 TTW engine in it. I have NOT modded it much yet (I have all the parts to do so) because I first wanted to drive it daily and see what it's tendancies are toward fluids.... turns out it uses about a quart of coolant between an oil change - so guess what I'll be doing BEFORE it blows, and BEFORE I mod the piss out of it?

I'm not dogging on you, but you really have to be more mindfull of your fluids and your overall engine condition before you go wheeling, and before you add mods. These situations just don't happen to me or a lot of the other folks around here - the number one rule of wheeling is.... don't wheel your daily, and especially don't wheel your only car - unless you like walking. Hell I won't even wheel with other people who don't have another rig. I'm not interested in feeling guilty about someone breaking their only ride pulling my dumb a$$ out of a huge mess.

GD

At the time I went wheeling it wasnt my DD.I was just driving it now a little bit so save on gas.

Before the first time its coolant disappeared it didnt overheat or even get close to overheating.

I think what may have started the headgasket going may have been dunking the engine in a deep mud hole.Diddnt suck water in the engine but it was deep enough to drown the distributor.

I think what may have started the headgasket going may have been dunking the engine in a deep mud hole.Diddnt suck water in the engine but it was deep enough to drown the distributor.

I did all of what you are describing and more with my first EA81 wheeling motor. It died when a rod came out the top of the block - too much overheating and not enough oil pressure.

I would rebuild the whole thing if I were you - it's likely that it doesn't have enough life left in the bottom end to warrant a HG replacement. You should go through it and do rod/main bearings and a set of rings at least.

GD

I would rebuild the whole thing if I were you - it's likely that it doesn't have enough life left in the bottom end to warrant a HG replacement. You should go through it and do rod/main bearings and a set of rings at least.

GD

+2 to GD.

I would replace, rebuild or EJ swap.

Lets see you performance rebuild that thing like Backwoodsboy! :slobber:

TWitch

Well there you go.

You expect a engine with that many miles to hold up whilst beating the snot out of it offroad?

Shame on you :rolleyes:

Its what makes a subaru a subaru.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: