Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two bored guys and a parts car...

... and this is what happens.

downsized_0614091521.jpg

downsized_0614091521b.jpg

downsized_0614091521a.jpg

The motor, radiator, and exhaust were gone from this thing when it showed up on my doorstep this morning, but Niku-Sama and I made sure there was nothing usable left on it. Two bored guys + 1 parts car = 1 hulk and 1 big pile of parts.

(It used to be an '82 GLF)

ya what did you do im hoping you tied it to a truck and pulled it down a dirt poad realy fast and jumped it a few times and the un hooked it and ran it over or at least tried or may be painted it all diffrent colors and towed it up a big hill or mountain and sent it down it into a big tree or rock or maybe a 500ft raveen that would be awsome and i want to see the pics:grin::banana:

That pic was taken before we were done. No sawzall, though, so rockers/quarters weren't an option. doors were both badly banged up (driver's side barely opened/closed) so I didn't consider them "saveable".

Windshield, all front lights/markers were damaged to the point of making them not worth salvaging.

P/S crossmember / rack crossed our minds, but we ran out of time and I needed the driveway back... also it would likely have needed a rebuild anyway.

Passenger's fender MAY have been saveable by someone with decent body skills, but it was pretty dented too. Driver's fender was just plain hosed. It looked like the previous owner skipped down a jersey barrier with the left side of the car. :P (and then repeated on the right side for a while)

And the wheels on there were mostly my castoffs from my BRAT. This thing had a nummy pair of alloys on it, possibly Enkeis (I'm not super familiar with the available alloys) that were the first thing I yanked off of it. :)

I even got almost all of the trunk liner bits, minus the carpet (gone) and the forward wall (rotted out).

Apparently they don't have a sawzall. Last one I parted left in 16 peices. But I like to save suspension and drivetrain bits as well. I'm a collector. :lol:

GD

Have you seen my place lately? :eek:

Coupes are cake to strip, not a whole lot of stuff to take off.

If it has a title, its a shell on a flat bed when it leaves.

Too much time/work to cut it up.

Try stripping a SVX sometime.

It took 3 people the better part of a day to strip a 92 I had.

And that was sans engine/running gear.

Can we see a pic of the Enkies?

Check the for sale forum. As yummy as they are, I'm fine with what I've got on the BRAT.

Coupes are cake to strip, not a whole lot of stuff to take off.

If it has a title, its a shell on a flat bed when it leaves.

Too much time/work to cut it up.

You're also the master stripper. I mean... uhm...

I think an even funnier part is that the guy who brought this car up to me apparently has been holding onto it a year and has never looked inside of it. I discovered a slightly moldy $5 bill under the passenger seat. I used it to buy lunch. :P

Hope lunch wasnt moldy too :-p

the only thing salvagable from the body thats left is the core support, roof and amazingly floor boards, the rest of the car, rockers, front thing some one was talking about and other things were dented or rust was starting to take over, the blue on there was painted right over the rust. the windsheild was cracked the rear could come out but we got most everything minus the suspension, the crossmember with the rack and the mensioned body pannels.

got both rear electric windows, they were tricky, so they arent just rolled down there outa there, and the rear stationary side glass.

that transmission was deceptivly heavy for what it was, i was supprised.

soak those transmission cross member bolts in some WD-40, you dont want to break those off like i did on the parts car, supprised they broke off with a 3/8 ths inch drive ratchet, one didnt even resist it just went snap

Though at this point nothing can be saved that was left... the car's already been hauled off to the crusher. If we had been able to roll it off my driveway to the side yard there might have been a chance to get that steering rack, but as it was, with the control arms disconnected, we could barely move it far enough to get my wife's car out so she didn't kill me... much less my own car.

+1 on how heavy that trans is, though. I've picked up Torqueflites lighter than that. And not little ones either, the ones designed for V8s.

Not a huge loss, but EA81's with power steering are comparitively rare and so I hate to see a PS rack and cross-member (the whole thing is different for PS) go to the crusher. A reman rack is about $250 to $300 though they rarely fail. They can be resealed easily.

I have three of them personally - one normal and two Turbo setups. That's all I'll ever need but since Brat's NEVER came with PS it's a nice upgrade for that crowd. The value of Brat's is increasing every year and those that can afford them can afford to buy a nice PS setup for them as well. I like to keep stuff like that for resale later. EA81's are getting scarce in the yards even here in the NW.

GD

I so want a P/S crossmember!!!!!:eek: I'da pulled it!zzz I don't even need the rack!

You can probably find one given some time and a few trips to the yards considering your location. That's where I've got all my Turbo PS systems. Takes about 2 hours to pull one though so be prepared. And the cross-member bolts are often a pain - 1/2" breaker bar time.

GD

yea i think i am going there tommorow, i might even buy something this time but money is still tight.

you want me to check and PM you or something?

problem with the one there is your going to have to probally pull the engine thats still in it

the price list from arlington pap doesent have steering rack on it, has crossmember and they run $26.50.

although how its made up on the list it could be there and i am not seeing it, the alphabitize left ro right in a dual row config on the paper and its kinda bizzare, you'd thing yous alphatize top to bottom when you have 2 columns