Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bolt-in EA series Alternator upgrade. Nissan Maxima alt installation guide.

See if you can get that alternator checked at a parts store, they'll normally do it for free.

IIRC, bad diodes in the regulator/rectifier can drain a battery like that, even if the thing is charging normally while running.

It should be grounded by the frame and mounting bolts. Open ground wouldn't cause a load when it's off.

Check for current in the control wires. Check for current in the main output cable. Both when the car is off.

Double check the control wiring.

Deep discharges like that will kill a battery so it's being damaged every tI'm it happens. Until you can check for those current leaks, unhook the battery between drives.

My wires were switched, charged and worked fine but had a 3 amp draw when the car was off, swapped them everything works great no more draw.

See if you can get that alternator checked at a parts store, they'll normally do it for free.

IIRC, bad diodes in the regulator/rectifier can drain a battery like that, even if the thing is charging normally while running.

I seem to vaguely remember having the same thing happen to me and it turned out that I had connected the two wires in the plug backwards. Try switching them wires. To be clear this is the two in the plug, not the one ring connector that goes on the stud.

Wow, it's rare for a wiring error to not cause damage, great that it's working now!

Is it necessary to ground these? It has the spot for a ground wire but I have never grounded an alternator on any of my cars before. Figured they grounded through the mount

Why have i never seen this thread until now? My alt on my ea82 went out not long ago, and i just got a stock one.... What a bummer. It would be nice if someone could really condense some of these mods into a single "locked" thread. If someone already did that. Please point me in the right direction