Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ideas for unusual mods

Doing the leather seats on the Brat got me to wondering about what sort of other unusual mods people have done to their cars. I'm not talking about stuff like putting in a stereo, CB, or a set of rally lights unless there's something different about how they were done - what I'm looking for are more off-the-wall modifications (large or small) that improve performance, driveability, or just make it easier to live with.

As an example: for my next trick, I'm looking into LED replacement lights for pretty much everything. There are two reasons for this: one is improved visibility when I'm on the brakes (no third brake light == people don't notice when you're on them), but the other is to take a few watts of load out of the power system when driving at night with the high beams, heater, radio, and wipers on.

So... What else has everyone else been up to?

Doing the leather seats on the Brat got me to wondering about what sort of other unusual mods people have done to their cars. I'm not talking about stuff like putting in a stereo, CB, or a set of rally lights unless there's something different about how they were done - what I'm looking for are more off-the-wall modifications (large or small) that improve performance, driveability, or just make it easier to live with.

As an example: for my next trick, I'm looking into LED replacement lights for pretty much everything. There are two reasons for this: one is improved visibility when I'm on the brakes (no third brake light == people don't notice when you're on them), but the other is to take a few watts of load out of the power system when driving at night with the high beams, heater, radio, and wipers on.

So... What else has everyone else been up to?

I'm working on putting cupholders in the tailgate where those two square panels are. I found an intake adapter for some car that is the same diameter as a beer can that I think I can use:)

Jacob

I'm working on putting cupholders in the tailgate where those two square panels are. I found an intake adapter for some car that is the same diameter as a beer can that I think I can use:)

Jacob

Share the details; I like this one :)

Along those lines: I'm looking into making a antenna mount for the bed area that won't require drilling the panels. It'll basically screw down on the existing screws that secure the side panels down. It's mostly figured-out at this point; just gotta work out the routing details for the cabling and get the Brat back from the world's longest clutch job so that I can properly measure & eyeball stuff.

yeah, im with the brake light thing, thats why i got one and put it at the top of my rear window! haha, at least people can clearly see when im braking, and you dont know the light is there, cause the rear window is tinted, you only see it when it lights up

I'll be doing leds too when money loosens up around here...

I like the way they snap on and off again.

I have H4 conversion lights in the XT and am upgrading to projector lenses next week. if I like that I may put an HID kit in.

I wish they made clear lenses for the car... woudl be so cool

oh my XT seats are black vinyl and look very cool!

I`ve Done the LED and the HID Lights along Many other Things... but that two Could be a Great Idea, Specially if you Choose HID Lights Designed for the Headlamp and those have Low and High Beams with No Glare, to avoid Blind the incomin` Driver. Also HIDs are Better in Yellowish Colour.

I Suggest to Look at my Thread about That, for More info:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89661&page=8

...I wish they made clear lenses for the car... woudl be so cool...

I am not Sure about the Lights on your XT, but if yours Uses the Sealed Headlamp known as "Sealed Beam" (As the XT models that Came Here) There are Lots of Aftermarket Headlamp Replacements, with the Shape, Size and Fittings of a Sealed Beam but Designed to Hold the 9004 or 9007 Bulbs, Those even can Hold HID`s Bulbs too...

See: http://www.racinglab.com/headsealbeam.html

Those are Very Popular Here... Seems like e-bay got similar ones too:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=85-91+SUBARU+XT+XENON+EURO+HEADLIGHT+CONVERSION+KIT&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Kind Regards.

Unusual mods huh... Well I swapped an EA81 into the Beast for reliability (87 wagon, originally with an EA82 motor)... Ran with a Ford 2bbl carb for a year cuz it was layin around and I didnt have money for a Weber... Replaced my rear window with Lexan after I busted out the first one... Oh I made a sweet setup in the rear floor hatch so I could have my toolbox fit and still have a little trap door... I put lynch pins in the door hinges so I can take the front doors off at a moment's notice... Had a Craftsman screwdriver as a low range shifter lever, but it got in the way one day so i broke it off... Used 70's Ford F-series side marker lights for turn signals in my tube bumper... Found out the little side pockets in the floor in the back are just the PERFECT size to fit a gallon of oil where it wont spill... I attempted to make decent fender flares out of a plastic 55 gallon drum, but they ended up folding on me and look like crap now... Thats most of the more unusual mods ive done to the Beast....

-Bill

after reading Beast's post I realized how boring I am... :)

hey, this is hardly earth shaking - but it'd be nice to have another cigarette/power outlet in the waaay back so I could plug in my cooler for long trips

renisance man (sp) had that cool tap-into-the-coolant-drain-plugs for better draining post, (that's where I tapped into for my re-circulating block heater)

but his post had pics and he did a super clean job of it

I`ve Done the LED and the HID Lights along Many other Things... but that two Could be a Great Idea, Specially if you Choose HID Lights Designed for the Headlamp and those have Low and High Beams with No Glare, to avoid Blind the incomin` Driver. Also HIDs are Better in Yellowish Colour.

I Suggest to Look at my Thread about That, for More info:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89661&page=8

I am not Sure about the Lights on your XT, but if yours Uses the Sealed Headlamp known as "Sealed Beam" (As the XT models that Came Here) There are Lots of Aftermarket Headlamp Replacements, with the Shape, Size and Fittings of a Sealed Beam but Designed to Hold the 9004 or 9007 Bulbs, Those even can Hold HID`s Bulbs too...

See: http://www.racinglab.com/headsealbeam.html

Those are Very Popular Here... Seems like e-bay got similar ones too:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=85-91+SUBARU+XT+XENON+EURO+HEADLIGHT+CONVERSION+KIT&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

Kind Regards.

when I say clear lenses I meant the parking lights and turn signals.

Oh forgot to add that all my off road lights are 4" farm implement utility lights :banana: 4" 100w bulbs are more focused and brighter than 6" 100w bulbs :banana::banana:

-Bill

hmmm.. think you may have something there, what was the cost of the farm stuff?

I was at the grange the other day and they had a wall rack of generic pulleys... as in, damn I wonder if one of those would work for an alternator swap?

1/2" wide v-belt pulleys, all different diameters and shaft sizes... hmmm

say, you got a pic of the farm lights? this is still on topic right?

after reading Beast's post I realized how boring I am... :)

hey, this is hardly earth shaking - but it'd be nice to have another cigarette/power outlet in the waaay back so I could plug in my cooler for long trips

Actually, I did this in my Jeep. Love it.

renisance man (sp) had that cool tap-into-the-coolant-drain-plugs for better draining post, (that's where I tapped into for my re-circulating block heater)

Saw that, and was thinking it could even be used to heat water for trail showers. Awesome job by him on it.

How about this? custom trouble lights, use some cheap clear trailer lights and put them under the hood, or even underneath where you might need light to see whats going on

switch under the hood

but wait, it gets sillier

I was thinking that a nice cover over the light would be good to keep it clean, a little box to protect it

how about a soap dish from the dollar store? you know, the cheap snap together ones with the lid for back packing or in a gym locker...

you mount the light with a ground lead, in a soap holder, when you need it you open the lid or let the light shine through it - if it isn't covered in massive mud or oil

I dunnnnoooo might be useful might not

How about this? custom trouble lights, use some cheap clear trailer lights and put them under the hood, or even underneath where you might need light to see whats going on

switch under the hood

but wait, it gets sillier

I was thinking that a nice cover over the light would be good to keep it clean, a little box to protect it

how about a soap dish from the dollar store? you know, the cheap snap together ones with the lid for back packing or in a gym locker...

you mount the light with a ground lead, in a soap holder, when you need it you open the lid or let the light shine through it - if it isn't covered in massive mud or oil

I dunnnnoooo might be useful might not

OR now hear me out this is way out of the box make a holster for a mag light or cig plug spot light.

tracking... just stowing a mag under the hood? or making an 'external' plug in for a varmit light?

k

c, I was thinking about how all the new cars have those lights that go on when you open the hood, or even that GM trouble light on a reel... but they aren't always in the best spot and make big sahdows

guess it wouldn't help much if you need to see your battery and figure out why it's dead :lol:

tracking... just stowing a mag under the hood? or making an 'external' plug in for a varmit light?

k

c, I was thinking about how all the new cars have those lights that go on when you open the hood, or even that GM trouble light on a reel... but they aren't always in the best spot and make big sahdows

guess it wouldn't help much if you need to see your battery and figure out why it's dead :lol:

if you leave the trouble light on accidentally you'll make your battery dead.

I like the idea alot though. make them with the color changing leds so you can wow them at the car show with your multicolor under hood lighting,. :banana:

I have an exposed plug under the hood that was put in a sample dish with a hole for the wires... no corrosion!

I like the rear plug idea. but when would I need power in my trunk?

there's a boxin the floor in the back of my trunk I was going to make a tool box out of it.

I like the rear plug idea. but when would I need power in my trunk?

for one of those Coleman coolers with the 12v chiller built in, a trouble light, a varmit light, light for camping... a 12v compressor

but I agree, it wouldn't be a high use item - lot of new cars come with them though

Ok, I will have to see if I can get a pick of this, not sure I still have any, but I had a pipe rack (consisted of a 4" PVC pipe the length of my brat just about with a nose cone and fins) that would have made a sweet tee-shirt launcher if I had the time and money to do it. :lol:

I really would like to get the time/money to make the rack over the bed I have always wanted and to have a canvas cover that rolls out from the front (just behind the cab) to make a collapsing "topper" but I dunno if I will have that time/money for a long time.

Ok, I will have to see if I can get a pick of this, not sure I still have any, but I had a pipe rack (consisted of a 4" PVC pipe the length of my brat just about with a nose cone and fins) that would have made a sweet tee-shirt launcher if I had the time and money to do it. :lol:

I really would like to get the time/money to make the rack over the bed I have always wanted and to have a canvas cover that rolls out from the front (just behind the cab) to make a collapsing "topper" but I dunno if I will have that time/money for a long time.

You just need to patent the 'Fly Boy 3000 Kitty Litter Rust Extinguisher' and you'd be set. Think of all the ea82's alone that need help!

You just need to patent the 'Fly Boy 3000 Kitty Litter Rust Extinguisher' and you'd be set. Think of all the ea82's alone that need help!

SSSSSHhhhhh!!! When you read my mind, your not supposed to tell everyone what I'm thinking!! :-p :lol:'

Now I gotta go get a patent before someone steals my idea. :rolleyes:

There go the voices again ... must give brat more mods ... I wonder if they have anymore stickers at the dollar store ... been needing to add some horse power ... hmmmmm NOS stickers. :drunk:!!

as far as underhood lights go, the 70's and 80s early Z cars have a small light under the hood that pulls apart, and has a long wire on it so you can use it where you need. switch is right on the light housing....

I have actually already used it too. I had to replace the ECT on my manifold, and I was able to do so without spilling a drop of antifreeze, and was able to drain it into a clean container to reuse it even.

but his post had pics and he did a super clean job of it