Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifter noise

if its an ea81 solid lifters then it would be an adjustment.

but if its an ea82 then its probably going to need the oil pump resealed.

its called the TOD or tick of death, its not fatal as the name applies.

and pretty easy to fix in most cases.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113431

its a long read but worth it.

at the bottom of the page theres a "similar thread" section

which should yield all the info you should need.

edit:darn beat me to it.

Edited by AKghandi
opps

there are two engine platforms in 1987, need to know which you have:

87 gl hatch is EA81 engine (adjustable valves)

87 gl wagon is EA82 engine (non adjustable valves)

If EA82 - basic steps i'll summarize:

1. change oil

2. reseal the oil pump (or skip to #3 to avoid doing this again or if you're paying someone to do the work so you don't have to do it twice)

3. replace the oil pump

***In the odd event that you have one sticky or lazy HLA, then adding MMO, seafoam, or even ATF to your oil can free them up, but that's rather rare. usually the oil pump reseal/replacement solves it.

It's an easy job - it's basically a timing belt job with a 5 more 10mm bolts for the oil pump. Once the timing belt is off it takes 5 minutes to remove the oil pump. Very simple.

Grab an ebay timing belt kit for $80 while you're at it - new blets and pulleys - and you've got another reliable 50,000 miles.

I'm not familiar with EA81's but looks like someone else already commented.

Edited by grossgary

Try the ATF first. It worked for me in 2001. No Tick of Death for 11 years.

I added a quart of ATF to the oil. Ran at 1000 to 2000 rpm for 5 minutes (or until TOD stops). Drain the oil completely... completely! Replace oil and oil filter. Oil changes at 3-4000 miles. I use Delo 15-40.

Seems that the ATF 'cleaned' the oil galleys.

If that doesn't work. Reseal the oil pump... Search for procedure.

If it is ticking from only one hydraulic lifter, then it is not the oil pump because they all would tick.

You either have a sticky lifter or a collapsed lifter. A sticky lifter may be fixed as outlined by others. A collapsed lifter needs to be replaced.

Do the easiest possible fixes first.

1. Clean oil and add an additive. Test it

If not yet fixed then:

2. Remove camshaft covers and determine which hydraulic lifter is soft or collapsed

3. Buy however many you are going to need, but it is best to replace all of them. Also buy genuine Subaru O-ring that sits in lower corner of camshaft tower. Buy gasket maker. Buy new rubber seals for camshaft covers and bolts.

4. Remove camshaft cover and camshaft tower using proper procedures to enable proper valve timing upon reassembly.

5. Jack car up on side that you are working on to help keep rocker arms in place

6. Reinstall rocker arms with axle grease to hold in place

7. Set new O-ring to camshaft tower and hold in place with axle grease

8. Add gasket maker around two oil transfer holes at interior of camshaft tower face that contacts cylinder head. If you miss this or plug up these holes, you will still have loud hydraulic lifters.

9. Complete reassembly and test it.

If not fixed yet then go for the oil pump reseal. You can easily replace the water pump and timing belts at the same time since you have to tear everything off of the front of the engine except the water pump, in order to get to the oil pump.

1987 Subaru gl 1.8 has started a loud licking noise from drivers side valve cover area.What could be causing it and how to fix it? Help!

cmon now...reading comprehension...this man is obviously looking for the "lick of death" solution.

Who can ever fix that?

I had this problem years ago..the oil pump front showed some leakage although very slight..I ended up changing the small "O" ring as suggested earlier and the oil pump..all was well after that..if your lifters are highly varnished this also could be the problem as I have experienced with some elses vehicle..in my case all was very clean...

• 2 months later...

This is the guy with the noisy lifter(s)! Thanks everyone for your input.Especially the guys who were right. Right On! This is what i did.Changed oil and filter with 10-30 valvoline and wix filter.Added 1 qt rislone. Drove it and within 2 hour run time lifter noise gradually faded and totally quite.Then changed oil and filter again .500 miles later.All is well   Thanks Subaru Forum

This is the guy with the noisy lifter(s)! Thanks everyone for your input.Especially the guys who were right. Right On! This is what i did.Changed oil and filter with 10-30 valvoline and wix filter.Added 1 qt rislone. Drove it and within 2 hour run time lifter noise gradually faded and totally quite.Then changed oil and filter again .500 miles later.All is well   Thanks Subaru Forum

Glad you got it fixed. On my ea82T I used Marvel Mystery Oil, added about a half bottle when I changed my oil and filter, ran for a bit couple trips to town (30-45 miles total), changed oil and filter again and was gone! 

On my ea81 I tried the oil and filter change, still doing it (TOD). I know my oil pump seals were good because I just put a brand new pump on and gasket, and a mickey mouse seal. Still ticking loud at idle and on rev. I drained the oil, took off the valve covers and on my #2 cylinder I had an exhaust valve spring that was in 3 pieces... Swapped it out with one from the JY and put new valve cover seals on. Done! It was tricky to put a valve spring on while the motor was in the car but is it doable! Pry bar and a 3/4'' wrench. The keepers are slippery.