Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need a permanent solution for these stupid EA81 exhaust studs.

4 months ago, i replace my exhaust gaskets. I notice my exhaust studs are in need of attention. I make them work, but then 3 weeks ago I was forced to replace the gaskets again. Knowing how bad a shape my studs were in, i went and bought a heli-coil kit... new studs, and went to work.

Well, I found that my engine has those stupid cast metal exhaust spacers on each head, and it prevents me from getting to the threads in order to repair them. So I kinda just did a half-rump roast job, with some JB weld.

Here we are, 3 weeks later. My exhaust studs are now missing (at least it sounds like it) and I am forced to do the job again. Im not going to do it a fourth time, so I need some tips/tricks/hints on how to accomplish this for good.

Finding metric studs are impossible. Im going to be forced to use SAE, and heli-coil. But first I will have to find a way to get these stupid exhaust spacers off. THe bolts holding them to the head are rusted pretty good, I started to round one when trying to get it off the last time.

If you tap the holes over to 7/16 x 20 you will be tapping threads into the spacers as well as the head. Just make sure you use a bottoming tap to get the last few threads in the head. Install 7/16 studs and be done with it. They fit just fine and will be extra strong as you will have threads in the cast iron spacers. You also don't have to remove them to do the job. I've done this on half a dozen EA81's now and it's never failed me yet. No expensive heli-coil needed either.

GD

Metric studs will be availiable, go see any subaru, toyota, nissan or honda dealer.

The way to repair things is to dissmantle them as far as you need to go then put them back together again making everything good as you go. In this case it sounds like take the stubs off, clean/repair all the threads, reassemble and retighten after a short run and then again after a week.

If you tap the holes over to 7/16 x 20 you will be tapping threads into the spacers as well as the head. Just make sure you use a bottoming tap to get the last few threads in the head. Install 7/16 studs and be done with it. They fit just fine and will be extra strong as you will have threads in the cast iron spacers. You also don't have to remove them to do the job. I've done this on half a dozen EA81's now and it's never failed me yet. No expensive heli-coil needed either.

GD

I got metric studs, M10x1.5 & heli-coils to match.

I think im going to try and remove the spacers and drill out the heads. I had thought about tapping the spacers.... i guess that'll be the next step if these dont work.

I'm telling you - it's a mistake to remove those spacers. But if you do it remember there's a gasket between them and the head - it's a narrow ring that fits in a groove in the spacer and I'm guessing the only reliable source for them is the dealer.

Seriously - the heli-coil approach is WAY more work than just running the tap through both the spacer and the head and calling it day. It will be 10x stronger and if you wanted to heli-coil it back to metric later that's easily done as the 7/16 x 20 tap does not require any drilling - the hole is already the correct size for it.

GD

Yeah forget all that nonesence. Those spacers are rust-welded to the bolts holding them in, and there is no clearance to get a socket around the bolts. After I looked alittle closer, the spacers have pipes running from them... and that would be another headache.

My M10 heli-coils fit real nice into the metal spacers, so i tapped the spacers. Im about to go run the heli-coils after everything drys. Thinking of using Red Threadlocker as well when i assemble everything.

I've never had a problem with EJ exhaust studs...

:grin:

That being said, I helped a buddy solve this issue in his brat once... we took the exhaust spacers off, and welded studs to them.

Thats going to be my final step! Stupid EA81's... i have NEVER owned a EA81 that i havent had to d!ck with the exhaust studs on.

So I just finished the job. Ran heli-coil into the spacers, installed new studs and snugged them up real tight. So far, seems to be better than my last attempt. And a short drive to the bank & back, and finally I dont have to crank my stereo to 22 to enjoy it (although, i do anyhow).

be sure to use Subaru exhaust gaskets too, not familiar with the EA81 but with everything else they are typically much higher quality.

i've reused so many Subaru OEM used exhaust gaskets it's not funny, the manifold gaskets seal well in my experience.

i'm with GD i wouldn't over complicate it.

now that you've got the threads repaired your next obstacle is keeping the studs/nuts from rusting away.